• 8(current)
Banana Pi (raspi clone)
(2015-01-28, 02:20)hemdedup Wrote: I was reluctent to purchace one but I have been having the hardest time getting information about codecs to get video playback. I can do installs of addons but when I want to watch a video from any source I only get audio. I am fairly new to the Pi community and I feel that the Banana Pi is a prety cool device but XBMC is still a along ways away. I tried installing the Android image with the Pheonix software that they recomended. It does not work. I can format my SD card but when it comes to burning the image it goes through the process and says that it is successful but when I chek it there is nothing on the disk. It will run the Linux distros with no problem. Most of the images that they have listed are wither broken or the thing is only good for running Linux.

When you say 'the Pi community' you need to be careful. The Banana Pi has NOTHING to do with the Raspberry Pi - and the 'Pi Community' would really usually be taken to mean the Raspberry Pi community. This thread is misleading by describing it as a 'raspi clone' - it isn't...

The issues with Banana Pi is that it uses an Allwinner SoC which has lousy Linux codec support... The Broadcom SoC used in the Raspberry Pi, whilst having a much less powerful CPU than the Allwinner A20 in the Banana Pi, has a MUCH better supported VPU/GPU combo - which does H264, and with the right licenses MPEG2 and VC-1 with no major issues.
(2015-01-28, 02:20)hemdedup Wrote: I was reluctent to purchace one but I have been having the hardest time getting information about codecs to get video playback. I can do installs of addons but when I want to watch a video from any source I only get audio. I am fairly new to the Pi community and I feel that the Banana Pi is a prety cool device but XBMC is still a along ways away. I tried installing the Android image with the Pheonix software that they recomended. It does not work. I can format my SD card but when it comes to burning the image it goes through the process and says that it is successful but when I chek it there is nothing on the disk. It will run the Linux distros with no problem. Most of the images that they have listed are wither broken or the thing is only good for running Linux.

Because you bought a door stop. Enjoy your door stop.
The only thing that "Banana Pi" have common with Raspberry Pi is the physical form-factor which means you can buy a case for Raspberry Pi and it should fit

It is clear that they named it "Banana Pi" to sell more devices because people will confuse it with Raspberry Pi and think that they are compatible, they are not.

Sorry but it you bought one thinking i would run XBMC/Kodi then you basically been fooled into buying a device that simply will not run XBMC/Kodi any good.

To sum it up for you, the Banana Pi is not fully compatible with XBMC/Kodi, so sell your Banana Pi and buy something else if you want to use XBMC/Kodi.
It is sad that I can't run Kodi on Banana Pi, because SATA is a killer feature.
Why is SATA a Killer feature on a Kodi media player ?

(2016-04-24, 07:54)wrxtasy Wrote: Why is SATA a Killer feature on a Kodi media player ?

No idea - so many of these boards with SATA just have a USB->SATA bridge, so are no different to plugging in a USB HDD. Even if you do have integrated SATA on the SoC it's of no huge benefit for media playback, though if you have GigE it's a possible benefit for NAS duties.

Not sure I'd ever consider it a 'killer' feature in a Kodi box. (Raspberry Pi doesn't have it and is an amazing Kodi platform. Ditto Wetek Core)
Yes exactly what I was thinking Noggin.
Sounds good in the Marketing material tho for Newbs that only care about Tech Specs !

(2015-01-28, 17:04)Hedda Wrote: To sum it up for you, the Banana Pi is not fully compatible with XBMC/Kodi, so sell your Banana Pi and buy something else if you want to use XBMC/Kodi.

Is that still the case? The posts are from the beginning of 2015, so I would like to know if anything changed.

Blended by onboard Wifi and IR-Receiver I bought a Banana Pro which arrived yesterday. microSD-card is still missing the so that I couldn't give it a try yet.
I informed my self, obviously not good enough, but I can still return it.

Best regards
Proton
(2016-05-04, 14:26)Proton23 Wrote:
(2015-01-28, 17:04)Hedda Wrote: To sum it up for you, the Banana Pi is not fully compatible with XBMC/Kodi, so sell your Banana Pi and buy something else if you want to use XBMC/Kodi.

Is that still the case? The posts are from the beginning of 2015, so I would like to know if anything changed.

Blended by onboard Wifi and IR-Receiver I bought a Banana Pro which arrived yesterday. microSD-card is still missing the so that I couldn't give it a try yet.
I informed my self, obviously not good enough, but I can still return it.

Best regards
Proton

Never mind, I contacted the vendor and will return the banana pro and already ordered a raspberry pi 3.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Banana Pi (raspi clone)3