• 6(current)
Banana Pi (raspi clone)
(2014-08-12, 01:19)huisinro Wrote: yes, Android 4.4 supports hardware decoding through the standard Android MediaCodec APIs. It supports hardware encoding too.

The question was not if it is supported by android, but if it actually works with banana pi and android 4.4 as you provide it.
Yes, we tested xbmc on banana pi with Android 4.4, video works well and very fast, it is using hw 264 decoder.
(2014-08-12, 22:16)huisinro Wrote: Yes, we tested xbmc on banana pi with Android 4.4, video works well and very fast, it is using hw 264 decoder.

Is hdmi / spdif passthrough working on Android/bananapi?
This is a video shows how XBMC plays on Banana Pi, and how Banana Pi screens can be streamed to a PC. rDisplay Android app on Banana Pi to rPlay receiver on Windows:

This demonstrates hardware H264 decoding and encoding on Banana Pi.
(2014-08-18, 20:30)huisinro Wrote: This is a video shows how XBMC plays on Banana Pi, and how Banana Pi screens can be streamed to a PC. rDisplay Android app on Banana Pi to rPlay receiver on Windows:

This demonstrates hardware H264 decoding and encoding on Banana Pi.

Nice, UI looks fluid but playback feels a bit choppy, is this because of rdisplay running?
rDisplay performs encoding while XBMC decodes h264 movie, so it may cause some delays.

I will post some videos without rDisplay running at the background to compare the difference.
What is the point of this? XBMC runs on windows last I looked!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I actually tried the same techniques on Raspberry Pi, trying to stream Raspberry Pi's screens to a PC using same Airplay protocols, it turns out totally way too slow, cpu goes 100%, and I can only achieve very slow fps. This is another huge difference between BPi and RPi, the hardware H.264 encoder (note not the decoder) on Banana Pi is super, so you can actually duplicates video output from one Banana Pi to the other, whereas Raspberry Pi is impossible.

A few points:

(1) you can record any movies played on the device because it captures screens and audio to a file, or stream to another device as shown in the video

(2) We want to provide a convenient working environment for the Banana Pi and other Android boxes, so you can use a PC as display, and also remote control the device from the PC. I personally use this for Android development, while the Android device is hooked to the PC via USB. So I don't need to use another display, another mouse and keyboard.

(3) I am trying to show you guys the hw H264 decoding and encoding on Banana Pi work very well. If not, video streaming from BPi to PC will be very slow.

(2014-08-18, 22:14)nickr Wrote: What is the point of this? XBMC runs on windows last I looked!
I can understand mirroring android to a desktop to, perhaps, do some training, or demonstration.

However taking a video stream and decoding for display, the taking the display and re-encoding to play on another screen (or to save to hard drive) is the most retarded thing I have heard in a long time.

It is inefficient, and quality always suffers on every coding.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-08-18, 22:13)huisinro Wrote: rDisplay performs encoding while XBMC decodes h264 movie, so it may cause some delays.

I will post some videos without rDisplay running at the background to compare the difference.

What XBMC are you using ?

I used the helix alpha 2 snapshot and it is very laggy / buggy, playback only with heavy stuttering.

I also use the official Android 4.4 image and only get 1024x600 resolution. Quite useless as a media player
I am using the same Android 4.4 image, 1024 * 600. I knew resolution is low, next release will improve.

The XBMC version I used is the stable 13.2 release.

Is your SD card a class 10 one? Try to use good brands like SanDisk, Kingston, etc.

Nickr, rDisplay is meant to run on Android Phone and Tablets, so one can mirror them to AirPlay receiver/Chromecast, etc. Recording screens and movies is another use.

Using rDisplay on TV Boxes is a bit difficult to grasp, the main use might be for remote control. So you can access to the TV box from outside, and still maintain good fps.

rPlay receiver will be much more useful on TV Boxes, which enables TV Box as Apple TV and Chromecast receiver, we will release a rPlay version for Banana Pi soon, so one can mirror iOS devices, for example.
OK, this is another video to show how XBMC and YouTube play movie on Banana Pi, it's very smooth. This one has no rDisplay interference.

I used a SanDisk Extreme, so the SD speed should not be an issue. Maybe I will try the 13.2 release, but I don't see any reason with the current display resolution.
Next build of Android 4.4 will be at least 1280 * 720, if not 1920 * 1080. Banana Pi decoder supports very high resolution, it's just not enabled in the current build.
without full hd resolution it's useless as mediaplayer for me :-(
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Banana Pi (raspi clone)3