HDMI over cat6
First not sure right forum.

I am working on cleaning up my home theater wiring. I installed crown moldng to hide stuff. However this forced me to use 100ft HDMI cable. It have one that has inline relay or something.

After installing new cable to me video seems little grainy. Might just be me thinking it but not sure.

My question is would using cat6 and adapters? If so which ones work good? Guessing 60-70 feet of cat6 would be needed.
hdmi is a digital signal( 1 and 0s), it works or it doesn't.
I've heard good things about HDMI over cat. I'm hoping it's true, as I will be doing something similar for my parents' cabin in the near future. I'd assume (due to very positive past experiences) that anything from monoprice.com would be sufficient for that distance.
(2014-04-22, 08:59)MonkeyRoach Wrote: hdmi is a digital signal( 1 and 0s), it works or it doesn't.

Mostly, but it is possible to get green pixel specs in the picture, or dropouts in audio, etc. It's not quite an all-or-nothing signal.
Not seeing drop outs or green pixels. To me picture just doesn't seem as clear.
Then I doubt using cat6 cables and adapters will make it any better.
So is it really a matter of working or not? Don't want to tear down all crown molding I put up to hide wires.
So running into issues and trying to figure this whole thing out.

We have a Pioneer SC-1522-K avr with HDMI out 1 going to TV for day time use. HDMI 2 out to our projector. When I was using 50ft HDMI from out 2 to projector in the day we can watch tv on hdmi out 1. Now that I put an 100ft HDMI cable to projector in order to hide cable the TV doesn't work unless projector is on also. The projector seems ok but I think grainy but could just be me. The only thing I can think causing this is the 100ft cable has a in line repeater on it. It's powered by the HDMI cable itself.

If I unplug the 100ft cable the TV picture comes on.

Anyone have any ideas?
What's the splitter you're using? I wouldn't be using the AVR to do it. AVRs are notorious for cussing HDMI handshake issues.

A powered [read:active] splitter off one AVR output to your leads is perfect.

I've hidden all my AV kit under the stairs. Using IR injectors and HD cables throughout the house for full control of all devices.

HDMI over cat6 using baluns with IR built in is superb.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-04-22, 08:59)MonkeyRoach Wrote: hdmi is a digital signal( 1 and 0s), it works or it doesn't.

Yes. And no.

The digital 1s and 0s are carried using electrical signals, which are filtered by resistance and capacitance and effectively carried in the analogue domain where they are subject to degradation. If they can be correctly decoded then all is good.

When everything is working perfectly, and the cables and transceivers are within spec, you get the same 1s and 0s that you put in at the other end. And absolutely no picture quality changes between either end.

When nothing is working perfectly, your cable is out of spec (too long usually), your transceivers aren't working properly or doing their job, you get garbage at the other end and no picture.

Normally you are in one state or the other.

HOWEVER - it is possible, with digital systems like HDMI and SDI/HD-SDI, to be "on the edge". This is where the cable/transceivers era just not quite within spec, and some digital 1s and 0s are being decoded incorrectly (possibly due to noise). In these cases you may get white or green speckles (called 'zits' in some broadcast areas). You sometimes see this when a connector isn't fully made and the connections are only just being made.
They're also called sparklies [like the ones you get when you stand up too quickly]

Caused by too long a cable usually. Thicker gauge long HDMI leads and active repeaters normally cure this.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

We'll today I took down the molding (www.racewaycrown.com). I was able to get the 50ft hdmi cable up. It seems better than the 100ft one. Plus saves me some $$$

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI over cat60