Windows v Linux for XBMC Frontend
Hi,

I am building a new PC for connecting to my Argus TV Server.

I cannot decide which platform to use - Linux or XBMC.

If I also use Netflix and Sky Go, do I really have to go down the Linux route?
Definitely hands down Linux!. I am currently running OpenELEC and could not be happier. I used Win8 for about a year and was just tired with:
- constant exits to windows,
- unable to set up IR remote to properly turn on/off the htpc
- freezes during longtime inactivity, and last but not least
- audio configuration, which NEVER worked perfectly with my external amp.

On OpenELEC xbmc is FLYING! it is so fast I cannot believe it!Wink For the last 3 months I had like 1 freeze.
Windows as front end is just a BAD BAD idea. Unless you going to heavily use Windows installed on your platform, there is no reason to use it. Try OpenELEC or any other linux distribution and you will never want to go back.
nivepl But but but... can you use Netlix, HBO etc.... on your OpenELEC?
Netflix is made for Silverlight right ? or is the HTML5 already in progress ?
When it comes to Netflix on a computer - If you want 5.1 audio and SuperHD(+) bitrates - The Netflix Metro app for Windows 8(.1) is at this moment the only way to get it. An alternative is to use a different device with a closed-source proprietary Netflix app (PS3, Chromecast, most Smart-TV netflix apps etc), these often support surround/HD.

Expect HTML5 to take its time - the DRM solutions Netflix wants, doesn't play so well with the HTML5 standards.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
Now.. if a proper Android install on a PC was an option, you could have it all.
Netflix works on Linux via pipelight.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Look into using playon for netflix on openelec. Doesn't do hd but I think it is being looked at
Yeah I picked up on that. If someone can actually have a look at the upnp identifier string - I hope this gets sorted out.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
(2014-04-24, 16:56)pr0xZen Wrote: When it comes to Netflix on a computer - If you want 5.1 audio and SuperHD(+) bitrates - The Netflix Metro app for Windows 8(.1) is at this moment the only way to get it.

Hi,

When you say 5.1 audio and SuperHD(+) bitrates, do you mean both together or 5.1 audio at all?

It is encouraging that Netflix can potentially work on Linux but what about Sky Go? I really do need both up and running before I can ditch Windows 7 as a frontend (which would definitely be my preferred choice).

I did read somewhere (but cannot remember for the life of me where) that it is possible use a Windows PC to feed Netflix and Sky to Linux PCs, so you do not need to mess around with Silverlight hacks in Linux itself. Is anyone familiar with this approach?
(2014-04-24, 15:41)nivepl Wrote: Windows as front end is just a BAD BAD idea. Unless you going to heavily use Windows installed on your platform, there is no reason to use it. Try OpenELEC or any other linux distribution and you will never want to go back.
There is a difference between "no reason to use it" and using it being "a BAD BAD idea". If one already has the license, so money is not in the picture... what would make using Windows such a terrible idea? Enlighten me, please, considering I've been doing it since it's been available I might have missed something.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2014-04-29, 11:13)elsmandino Wrote: I did read somewhere (but cannot remember for the life of me where) that it is possible use a Windows PC to feed Netflix and Sky to Linux PCs, so you do not need to mess around with Silverlight hacks in Linux itself. Is anyone familiar with this approach?

http://mymediaexperience.com/integrate-n...into-xbmc/

This is similar to what I was talking about - looks like a fantastic idea but seems potentially a little overcomplicated.

Does not, unfortunately, appear to work with Sky Go either.
(2014-04-29, 11:36)ashlar Wrote: There is a difference between "no reason to use it" and using it being "a BAD BAD idea". If one already has the license, so money is not in the picture... what would make using Windows such a terrible idea? Enlighten me, please, considering I've been doing it since it's been available I might have missed something.

Generally when something works on Linux it works forever. On Windows it may stop working at any time. Nothing really beats OpenElec when it comes to stability.

@eslmandino: if you need Netflix and other streaming services then Windows is your only choice.
What about all those android boxes that are becoming more and more powerful.
With Gotham adding hardware decoding to android this could be a choice.

But I do not know if there is an app for Sky Go.

I'm have a Minix X7 android waiting in my home in Europ.
Looking forward to experimenting with it once I have it in my hands
Not sure if "anything android" other than ChromeCast with its proprietary Netflix app, is able to output 5.1 audio. Same goes for most services that use proprietary / tightly closed source apps. Netflix 5.1 audio is Dolby Digital Plus. This will very often not transfer through the TV set, nor will it go through SPDIF unless something pulls it down to "vanilla" DD/AC3 - like the PS3 does. Some get around this by connecting their CrhromeCast directly to a HDMI, DD+ capable AVR, then video on to the TV/monitor.

More and more platforms (again, most "closed platforms" like SmartTV apps, chromecast, BluRay player apps etc) get 5.1 and SuperHD/UltraHD / 3D netflix support. But from a straight up computer platform, this still need to origin from PlayOn (HD is being heavily worked on with regards to XBMC), Netflix Metro app etc.

Sky Go might already be available in some matter on Android, but here I'm just specualting.
(2014-04-25, 01:53)nickr Wrote: Netflix works on Linux via pipelight.

Forget it. Clumpsy install.. Mozilla based streaming. Not a proper way to run Netflix.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows v Linux for XBMC Frontend0