Android on Intel NUC- Has anybody tried this?
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/an...intel-nuc/

Intel has released Android installer for NUCs (baytrail and Haswell) and I was wondering if anybody has tried it with XBMC. Looks promising.
Wow sounds pretty cool!
Although in all honesty I don't really see how this would be useful. It most likely won't be useful at all for XBMC, since I doubt it will be be able to run XBMC better than current x86 OSs (OpenELEC, other Linux distros, Windows).
Then again, just because I don't see a use for it doesn't mean there is none.
The only reason that interested me was the usability of android apps such as Netflix, Amazon and Hulu. I think that is why people are so interested in the Amazon FireTV, just because of those apps and the better interface they offer. Love OE, dont get me wrong but if this works, you can have the best of both worlds.

I have a NUC with an SSD and I am thinking of trying it but I did not want to go through the hassle without checking with others in case it doesnt work as well. Also I dont know if there is an INTEL ANdroid version of XBMC out there.I dont think there is.
I was wondering the same, hopefully someone can give a good feedback of it
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
I thought most apps would have trouble running on Android x86 since they were designed for ARM (seeing as the vast majority of Android devices are ARM-based).
But I might be wrong on this.
One thing is for sure xbmc android is arm only.
Here's a good write up https://communities.intel.com/community/...on-the-nuc

It's a bit outdated, though I'm pretty sure that Netflix etc. are still ARM-only.
Nooriyani the article you posted is outdated. I saw that one as well a few months back. But the one I posted is a recent development.

But I do believe this article still holds relevance as it shows that android on intel is still in its early stages.
(2014-04-22, 22:03)ozkhan1 Wrote: One thing is for sure xbmc android is arm only.

I thought Gotham beta had an x86 version. At least I see it listed on the download page.
Won't matter much until apps like Netflix, etc are also x86. Which I imagine they won't be for some time, though I expect to see Intel move aggressively in this space as it's one of the few options they have to curb ARM's dominance.
(2014-04-22, 18:57)Tuberomix Wrote: Wow sounds pretty cool!
Although in all honesty I don't really see how this would be useful. It most likely won't be useful at all for XBMC, since I doubt it will be be able to run XBMC better than current x86 OSs (OpenELEC, other Linux distros, Windows).

I actually think Android is a better fit. Android allows you access to all the android apps/store. OpenELEC is good for PURE XBMC, but Android allows you to utilize the playstore for games and such.

I actually have been wondering why AMD and Intel haven't been partnering with Android for their NUC type devices. Especially with AMD and hteir dififculty in turning a profit/selling ANYTHING worthwhile, Kabini+Android is literally the perfect fit for them.
There's no playstore on the NUC android.
You need to sideload apps or install a store.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2014-04-23, 04:26)tential Wrote: I actually think Android is a better fit. Android allows you access to all the android apps/store. OpenELEC is good for PURE XBMC, but Android allows you to utilize the playstore for games and such.

I actually have been wondering why AMD and Intel haven't been partnering with Android for their NUC type devices. Especially with AMD and hteir dififculty in turning a profit/selling ANYTHING worthwhile, Kabini+Android is literally the perfect fit for them.
Until Android handles refresh rate switching (which is currently not possible from within apps) or HD Audio (not sure if this is possible with x86) then OpenElec on recent x86 hardware has advantages in other areas.

I wonder if Google's Android TV will help remove these restrictions - particularly the refresh rate switching. If it's sold in Europe and has pass-through like Google TV had then it will need to cope with 50Hz and 24 or 60Hz surely.
(2014-04-23, 11:12)noggin Wrote:
(2014-04-23, 04:26)tential Wrote: I actually think Android is a better fit. Android allows you access to all the android apps/store. OpenELEC is good for PURE XBMC, but Android allows you to utilize the playstore for games and such.

Until Android handles refresh rate switching (which is currently not possible from within apps) or HD Audio (not sure if this is possible with x86) then OpenElec on recent x86 hardware has advantages in other areas.

I wonder if Google's Android TV will help remove these restrictions - particularly the refresh rate switching. If it's sold in Europe and has pass-through like Google TV had then it will need to cope with 50Hz and 24 or 60Hz surely.

Very unlikely there will be pass-through, the rumour is the GoogleTV system has been dumped, AndroidTV is pretty much the same deal as FireTV, aka an AppleTV with an app store.

As much as we would like to see them frame rate switching and HD audio don't really matter to these audiences intended (not XBMC users), but they are not insurmountable and in due time they will probably work their way into the market. If Google are pretty liberal with AndroidTV we might see dedicated Blu-ray players with it one day which might drive development of those features.

Anyway I tried unofficial Android x86 project on a Core i3 laptop and it worked great, I'd say definitely worth trying out on a NUC if your not too fussed about certain media features.
(2014-04-23, 04:26)tential Wrote:
(2014-04-22, 18:57)Tuberomix Wrote: Wow sounds pretty cool!

I actually think Android is a better fit. Android allows you access to all the android apps/store. OpenELEC is good for PURE XBMC, but Android allows you to utilize the playstore for games and such.

Because for both companies it's a hobbyist market that generates next to no revenue (never mind EBITDA). Even the NUC is a science project for Intel so they can provide a "reference design" for SFF - an offshoot of when they were thinking about the set-top market.

XBMC users matter to them not at all. Not in offensive way or anything - we just don't register.

Also "Android" doesn't get a store by default, the only one that really matters is the Google Play store, and that's not available for x86. Neither are many apps for it.

Believe me, x86 on Android running XBMC is about as niche as it gets. I mean, I don't disagree it'd be nice, but don't hold your breath.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android on Intel NUC- Has anybody tried this?0