Networking query
A couple of days ago I installed XBMC (12.2) for the first time, on a laptop running Ubuntu (10.04), just to have a play around with it. I wanted to be able to access two other devices on my network from the software:

- pc running Windows XP with USB drives attached
- WDTV Live with external USB drive

Using SAMBA on the laptop I can browse shared directories on both of these devices. When trying to browse video files on the storage attached to the WDTV device via XBMC everything works fine. However, when trying to browse mp3 files stored on USB drives attached to the Windows XP pc I'm able to navigate to the workgroup, then able to select the pc device which shows all the shared folders but when I subsequently click on one of the folders I get the message "Working" and then nothing else happens. The "Working" message is displayed indefinitely and the only way I can break out of it is to bring up the Ubuntu console (ctrl alt F1) and then kill xbmc.bin. Is there something else I need to do in order to access files on a Windows XP pc?
Anyone?
Check the debug log (wiki). Also 12.2 isnt supported anymore, 12.3 is current stable, with v13 beta being very stable for me.
(2014-04-24, 05:17)teeedubb Wrote: Check the debug log (wiki). Also 12.2 isnt supported anymore, 12.3 is current stable, with v13 beta being very stable for me.

The debug log shows nothing as xbmc crashes as soon as I select the networked folder. Whether 2.2 is supported or not isn't really relevant - my question is still valid. On top of which 2.3 is exhibiting the exact same problem.
Can you switch debugging on, grab the log and pastebin it somewhere (e.g. xbmclogs) so other folks can take a look? It could be that there are some clues earlier on in the log that will explain the crash. Failing that, knowing exactly what's going on as it gets stuck at "working..." would be useful.

The 12.2/12.3/13 debate is relevant, as problems with pre-13 aren't going to be fixed. But if the problem is there in Gotham, then isolating it in the beta phase means there's a good chance of rectifying it before release.

It may also be an issue with Lucid - although the desktop version of that was end of life a year ago, and the server version dies next year, so maybe it's time to upgrade that anyway. Also, can you browse the shares from the command line or through a file manager, just to check that the problem isn't on the WIndows device?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Networking query0