Is this a good deal? eBay AppleTV with BCM970015
Hi everyone. I'm new here, (and new to XBMC), and looking at possibly buying a used AppleTV 1G with Broadcom hardware card.

I tried to pick teh username "XBMCn00b", but it was already taken. LOL

I found this on eBay: AppleTV 1st Gen JAILBROKEN XBMC, NaviX, Adult, LiveTV, Sports BCM970015 1080p http://r.ebay.com/YNUlSB

It looks like this thing is a complete solution? Is this correct? Would this be a decent Media Center to play all my DRM-free media directly from my Mac Pro, (over the network)?

Any input or suggestions from the community would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Emery
i had atv2 with xbmc and nuc.. if i have to spend that much money ill go for nuc
I like the idea of an actual linux installation with XBMC, (like the AppleTV 1G and nuc), but overall cost might be the limiting factor for me with the nuc being easily twice the price, (and potentially far more), of used ATV 1G.

I don't imagine I will ever use a "Desktop" UI for my media center, but it might be a cool option to have.

What about the nuc makes is that much better, in your opinion?

Thanks, Emery
The atv1 is ancient, with wikipedia saying it was released in 2007. It will probably make a decent media player but I bet a bottom end celeron 847 nuc will run cirlces around the atv1. Plus that bid is at $127 (+$33 for shipping), I dont think it will be much cheaper than a 847 celeron nuc, and if it is cheaper you need to look at is it work saving a few bucks on to buy 7 year old hardware.
You can't even play 1080p content on it....
Edit: NVM it has a 1080p hack apparently.

Still wouldn't get it personally. If it's what you want get it. I never would purchase an XBMC box from another person. I'd rather just purchase the hardware myself and load on XBMC myselfl. And also I don't think you should be listing all the piracy addons on here. Piracy Addon talk isn't allowed.

Edit: At 128 dollars I would hope it does more than XBMC. It better make me breakfast in bed. An Apple TV1 at 128 dollars is the definition of getting robbed.
Not really a good deal. There are other comparable options out there at similar or better prices.

I personally wouldn't buy it for more $60 because the money could be spent on better solutions.
(2014-04-23, 04:23)ertman Wrote: Not really a good deal. There are other comparable options out there at similar or better prices.

I personally wouldn't buy it for more $60 because the money could be spent on better solutions.

As much as I love my ATV1s + BCHDs, I have to agree with this. The hardware is aging, drive failures are going to be common, and the Broadcom Crystal HD drivers are in poor shape these days since no one is properly maintaining them anymore. However, the biggest reason is that you can get something much better for this price.
People are still selling them locally for $200+ to suckers on CL!

I "fire saled" mine for $150 and got rid of it in a day... ATV1 was an absolute champ for price/performance when Davilla first brought the BCHD online, but not really relevant now with FireTV, et al.
As other people have said + afaik there's no power management on the things, so that if you run them 24/7 there will be significant running costs. I'd feel guilty selling mine for $200 or even $150. Maybe I should harden up.
(2014-04-25, 03:05)dWooluf Wrote: As other people have said + afaik there's no power management on the things, so that if you run them 24/7 there will be significant running costs. I'd feel guilty selling mine for $200 or even $150. Maybe I should harden up.

If it is what the market is willing to pay, you might aswell get as much as you can for it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is this a good deal? eBay AppleTV with BCM9700150