Looking to custom build an XBMC box for Chinese sister in law.
G'day all

I was wondering if I could get any advice on XBMC hardware/software so I can set up a media centre for my Chinese sister in law. I haven't yet found a reliable configuration that will work with Chinese media sites like Youku, Tudou and PPS, and many of the plug ins I have found, just SUCK! The PPS plugin is Windows specific, and crashes all the time as well, and the Tudou plugin is just rubbish as it has no search facility. She has to resort to using her computer

What I need is an XBMC box, that boots straight into XBMC, has access to Chinese language media, easy to use, and if possible, have reliable DVD/Bluray playback. A TV-tuner/PVR would also be nice as well.

I am open to Windows, Linux and Android boxes/sticks, although if possible, a Linux based OpenELEC would be preferred, as there is minimal overhead.

Would a configuration like this be possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Bump
I would go with Linux. It was the only install I had where the Asian IM worked properly in XBMC for search functions etc. (OpenELEC flat out wouldn't work, and Windows did not allow me to switch between English and Asian character input when XBMC had focus).
As you also have a proper OS underneath XBMC, you could also use something like Advanced Launcher or Chrome Launcher to Launch other apps or a browser to sites she likes. Or else just close XBMC so she can revert to a normal desktop.

A relatively cheap PC would allow you to do all of the above + DVD player + PVR function if you wanted to add a tuner.
Lots of threads in the Hardware section on what would be best within your budgetWink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking to custom build an XBMC box for Chinese sister in law.0