Req Native MP4 Metadata Scraping
write the page then i can comment on it. i'm not really cut out to write a wiki page, my brain fills in too much info..
@spiff OK

@DeShizz
I see some work on the page. Looking good so far Smile

I am moving the page to its new permanent home here which allows everybody to edit it if they have a wiki account... http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_File_Tagging

I am taking a back seat to this page as I don't have the experience with Video File Tags and the attempts I have made to test this have failed for me. Its not something I use so won't persist with it.

Hopefully others can help out on this topic.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
@DeShizz just copy 1 sec from whatever material, it is covered by fair use, no danger.
(2018-01-18, 07:32)spiff Wrote: just copy 1 sec from whatever material, it is covered by fair use, no danger.

Cool, Will have that done in a few hours.
(2018-01-18, 02:43)Karellen Wrote: I am moving the page to its new permanent home here which allows everybody to edit it if they have a wiki account

Great. I've made a few more changes.

I was also thinking of writing a guide to tagging MP4 files using mp3tag (since it's free), although it may take me a while because I'd want to add pretty pictures.

I don't know however if this would be allowed under wiki rules, since it would be written subjectively and in step-by-step fashion?
(2018-01-18, 11:13)DeShizz Wrote: I don't know however if this would be allowed under wiki rules, since it would be written subjectively and in step-by-step fashion?
Yes, it is allowed. Smile

Uploading pictures is not a problem. Do you know how to do it? Looks like you know your way around the wiki, judging by your edits, so you probably know how to upload images. If not, let me know.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I've tested my locally tagged mp4 music video files.  The following mp4 tags seem to work (tag name => videodb musicvideo table column => description):
Code:
Pldes  => c08 => Plot
©gen => c11 => genre
©alb => c09 => album
©ART => c10 => artist
©nam => c00 => title
©day => premiered => year (month and day ignored)
TRACKNUMBER => c12 => track
covr => art table type poster (use for album cover)

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2018-01-18, 11:13)DeShizz Wrote: Cool, Will have that done in a few hours.
 Okay, so a few hours turned into a few days... my bad.

Anyway, here is a link that contains some MP4 files with the related TV Show metadata:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nD0RzV...-NUu8sakCm

Basically it is two seasons, with the first three episodes each. Each episode has been tagged with the show name, season number and episode number (I assume these match with -show, -season and -episode respectively). I think those would be the most important tags for TV Shows right now. They also have their respective titles entered).

Let me know if I should change anything.
thanks! been busy lately but i will get to this one of the next days.
Hello I've tried a few files and MP4 tags recognizes Kodi without any problems, but MKV tags are only partially recognized. Title, Year, Director, are recognized , Genre e.g. but not.

Are all MKV tags supported? Can someone help me with my problem? @spiff 

I tried the offical Matroska Tag's from the Matroska Site.

Greetz
Information 
It's been a while since Video Metadata Tag support has been added to Kodi, but it hasn't been updated for tag fields / boxes / atoms specific to TV shows and some other interesting stuff.

I have skimmed the Kodi and FFmpeg source code to update the relevant wiki page recently, the MP4 boxes/atoms table in particular. There are many fields that FFmpeg does read and Kodi could (or arguably: should) use to populate its media library. I have listed the expected mappings in parentheses. I hope someone (@spiff?)  will update VideoTagLoaderFFmpeg.cpp to support at least some of these in the future.
(2020-05-07, 11:05)Crissov Wrote: It's been a while since Video Metadata Tag support has been added to Kodi, but it hasn't been updated for tag fields / boxes / atoms specific to TV shows and some other interesting stuff.

I have skimmed the Kodi and FFmpeg source code to update the relevant wiki page recently, the MP4 boxes/atoms table in particular. There are many fields that FFmpeg does read and Kodi could (or arguably: should) use to populate its media library. I have listed the expected mappings in parentheses. I hope someone (@spiff?)  will update VideoTagLoaderFFmpeg.cpp to support at least some of these in the future.
Thanks, also contrary to the "notice" on the wiki page, mp4 tag work well for music videos.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
Hi Everyone,

Its been a while since this feature request was started, and I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to make this feature come to life.

However, I'd like to ask if it is possible to add this functionality to TV Shows.

At present, Kodi does not add TV Shows to the Library using only local embedded metadata. I presume this has something to do with Kodi not reading the relevant tags for TV Show name, Season Number and Episode Number. Thus, Kodi can't build a heirarchical menu to navigate through the TV Shows, so it disregards them and doesn't add to the library like movies are added.

This also echoes Crissov's post below:
(2020-05-07, 11:05)Crissov Wrote: It's been a while since Video Metadata Tag support has been added to Kodi, but it hasn't been updated for tag fields / boxes / atoms specific to TV shows and some other interesting stuff.

I have skimmed the Kodi and FFmpeg source code to update the relevant wiki page recently, the MP4 boxes/atoms table in particular. There are many fields that FFmpeg does read and Kodi could (or arguably: should) use to populate its media library. I have listed the expected mappings in parentheses. I hope someone (@spiff?)  will update VideoTagLoaderFFmpeg.cpp to support at least some of these in the fut

Let's see if we can't get this finished for TV shows just before this thread hits 10 years, I would be eternally greatful!
At the moment, only the following fields (by their FFmpeg name) are imported by the parser: "title", "composer", "genre","date", "description"*, "synopsis"*, "track", "album", "artist". Only if there is a plot summary in description or synopsis, the internal metadata is considered complete, making further scraping unnecessary.
For proper TV show support, the following fields should be added, at least:
  • ProductionCode: episode_id (tven)
  • Episode: episode_sort (tves)
  • Season: season_number (tvsn)
  • ShowTitle: show (tvsh)

Frequently, Album will have the same or similar value as Show Title. Track may also correspond with Episode and Season.

iTunes introduced some additional fields that several other apps also support. Among these, there is one to distinguish movies (9) from TV shows (10), music clips (6), home videos etc. FFmpeg exposes it as media_type.
I look forward to the day when we can just add an episode_id to the mp4 metadata and everything imports perfectly Smile
(2024-03-06, 11:54)Crissov Wrote: iTunes introduced some additional fields that several other apps also support. Among these, there is one to distinguish movies (9) from TV shows (10), music clips (6), home videos etc. FFmpeg exposes it as media_type.

I have also noticed that many tagging apps support this as well. Whether Kodi wants to use it or not might come down to a philosophical decision more than anything. Kodi has the advantage that we are telling it what kind of media we are importing at the start - we have a seperate menu item for movies and TV Shows, so this field is completely unnecessary. As you have rightly pointed out, tven, tves, tvsn and tvsh should be the only fields necessary to parse in the MOOV atom to import the file. Maybe parsing of these extra four tags can be applied only to the TV Shows media type?

I think iTunes added their own special tag because when importing media files to iTunes, there is no option to tell it upfront what kind of media is being imported. The philosophy seems to be that the program should classify media with little to no user input, hence the necessity to invent their own tag.
(2024-03-08, 17:09)zag Wrote: I look forward to the day when we can just add an episode_id to the mp4 metadata and everything imports perfectly Smile

Me too! If I had chosen a different path in life and learned anything about programming I would be more than willing to help. At this stage, all I can do is sponsor some development time (if that's allowed by Team Kodi's rules).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Native MP4 Metadata Scraping1