Req Native MP4 Metadata Scraping
i tried, it was stopped by a lame-ass excuse; 'the tag loader has music in the class name'. i then gave up.

https://github.com/notspiff/kodi-cmake/c...8f20320568 i have apparently deleted that pr'd branch.

EDIT2: Note that rebasing over several years have screwed up the header a bit. those prototypes should not be there.
I would settle for a dev at least providing an opinion on this functionality, e.g that it would be too difficult to implement or whatever.

I've spent the last 5 years building my home theater and media server. Back then I laid the groundwork in how I collected and organized media, and I specifically chose MP4 because of it's metadata capabilities and standardization (although I've had to start considering using .m2ts for when I have a file with TrueHD audio - but that's another issue). I'm starting to lose hope in Kodi as the driver for my media centre, especially because in the interim I've been forced to use Plex on the PS4, which does read local metadata. I'm so used to it now.

It's not like it's a niche request either. There was even another thread 6 months ago with the same request.

Thanks for your help Spiff. I would have hoped that after 2 attempts at adding it it would have stuck.
(2016-12-12, 12:40)ironic_monkey Wrote: i tried, it was stopped by a lame-ass excuse; 'the tag loader has music in the class name'. i then gave up.

https://github.com/notspiff/kodi-cmake/c...8f20320568 i have apparently deleted that pr'd branch.

EDIT2: Note that rebasing over several years have screwed up the header a bit. those prototypes should not be there.

You have not tried to nor was it stopped.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5416 here we go, through proxy (RIP uni).
The past is the past, the question now is how to get this moving again.
i think that those who stopped actual working code from benefiting users should have the decency to finally deliver on their grand plan.
(2016-12-15, 09:24)ironic_monkey Wrote: i think that those who stopped actual working code from benefiting users should have the decency to finally deliver on their grand plan.

You're frustrated with the process. Ace had some thoughts and shared them on the PR, but at no point did anyone block anything. I know some people will bring up issues and it's implied that they are basically saying "no", but that's not the impression I get from Ace.

The bigger issue was that it was just sort of forgotten about, because there was no clear protocol about what to do next. Everyone just kind of folded up at the first sign of conflict, even when there was no big problem.
well that may very well be, but the fact of the matter is still that comment killed any and all interest from my side to work on that shit. i had the momentum, but i got my answer. 'we rather go 2 more years and counting without support'.

it's important that you understand the context here. i had put in many hundreds of hours (probably over 500!) of work into the cmake buildsystem at that point, and was rewarded with everybody sitting at devcon laughing at my work, while nobody ever even looked at the code. i was not about to do the same mistake of putting in lots of work for others to shoot down once more.
(2016-12-15, 10:35)ironic_monkey Wrote: i had put in many hundreds of hours (probably over 500!) of work into the cmake buildsystem at that point, and was rewarded with everybody sitting at devcon laughing at my work, while nobody ever even looked at the code.

I recall some friction between you and davilla over the cmake build system, but I don't recall anyone ever laughing at any your work since I've been a member. I remember cmake being covered at Munich Devcon with a presentation produced by you but delivered by Jonathan with you briefly on a video call, and there was a lot of interest in the room about how we go down the cmake path, but perhaps something else happened before I was a Team member. Everyone I've ever talked to within the Team since I've been a member has nothing but the highest respect for your work and value your contributions.

Hopefully all water under the bridge now as we seem to have eventually got there in the end, since I see the Autotools removal PR got merged this morning.
yes, i am not bitter.

i just gave the context and why i felt it was somebody stopping my work. i saw the presentation, you did laugh, i watched the stream and i have emails from people who were in the room that personally gave their apology for the team's reaction. not that i'm gonna put that into public.

i sure wasn't a saint either, i was sick and all the work i poured into this was my own attempts at therapy. and then that all went to shit as well. i was probably hard to have around. at least this shit bumped me over the wall and i got the help i needed. i fully acknowledge this, but nobody has ever ever ack'd that it wasn't just me, it's all excuses and it-wasn't-me. this bit still hurts. i totally understand that you do not get it, but there you have it.
(2016-12-15, 09:24)ironic_monkey Wrote: i think that those who stopped actual working code from benefiting users should have the decency to finally deliver on their grand plan.

I really don't understand why you're angry at me. I've rebased your work and I'm planning to pr it in the near future, cf. https://github.com/ace20022/xbmc/commit/...16a0e5193f
i am not, and were never, angry at you.

my anger is at procedures. where i work we have a very simple rule; if you are going to object to things on grounds that are either non-technical or which requires huge rewrites of suggested new code, you provide the code, not the rant. if not you are not helping, and then you are obligated to stfu in the interest of progress.

in my view this is really a necessity in flat organizations or you end up with stalls for everything because nobody can take any decisions. it's the responsibility of everybody who have a voice to consider whether their statement help or harm the processes the most.
Why is Ned Scott Banned? Of all people here?
(2017-03-03, 23:18)AbRASiON Wrote: Why is Ned Scott Banned? Of all people here?

I learned not to ask such things...

I like to imagine there's an algorithm used that's associated with post count + user name > Negan + Lucille = Banned!
Bumping this thread. Any new developments or possibilities?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Native MP4 Metadata Scraping1