Standalone HTPC - Trail and error
Hi,
I am setting up a new HTPC, besides XBMC I also plan on running some basic background tasks, nothing to demanding mostly Python scripts. I have been tinkering with: MK908, Raspberry Pi and Radxa Rock, finding out what works and what doesn't, how well it works and so on. Hardware Acceleration for the Mali400 GPU in Linux doesn't seem to be happening at least anytime soon and I don't quite like to use Android for what I have in mind. I don't dislike Android I just feel that it's to new for this application, underdeveloped, XBMC itself runs fine on the devices but the whole system feels unreliable. Just thought I write down some of my experiences and thoughts, maybe it can be of use for someone else looking at similar devices and maybe someone can point me in the direction I want to go Smile

What do I want? I want to build a small affordable standalone 24/7 HTPC that has a fairly large hard drive, WiFi and Ethernet connections, I want to control this with a simple remote with few buttons, for example the Radxa Rock 13-key simple remote is ideal for me. I need a IR-reciever if I am going to use a remote like that, perhaps there are also Bluetooth alternatives? Preferably put everything in a nice little box and run some sort of Linux distribution on it with XBMC and get Hardware Acceleration.

Summary: XBMC, Storage, WiFi, Ethernet, Remote Control, Preferably Linux

Raspberry Pi
I decided that Xbian was best suited for me (or perhaps raspbmc as well) since I needed it to handle my background tasks as well as running XBMC. I got XBMC running really well eventually playing anything I had to throw at it. I also managed to get all my scripts and other background tasks running on schedule. I added a WiFi usb dongle a external 3.5" HD and a IR reciever (attached to the GPIO). I didn't want to use two power cords so I draw the power needed to run the Pi from the external hard drive and mounted the Pi on the side of it. I wanted to make it smaller so I also got a powered USB hub to be able to connect a 2.5" external hard drive to it. To get rid of the hub I got an idea to connect the data cables of the usb to the regular port and then draw power directly from the power source instead and power it all with a 5V 2A charger. I felt it was a bit to slow running XBMC on the class 10 sd card so I thought I should try and run it from a usb stick instead but then I need to incorporate the USB hub again. The Raspberry Pi itself is pretty cheap but with all the accessories I needed the price was adding up so i decided to try with something that had more of the features integrated.

Radxa Rock (also experimented with mk908)
Since I couldn't get hardware acceleration in XBMC on a Linux distribution with mali400 I had to go with Android. I got my Python scripts up and running with sl4a, enabled init.d and cron and the basic stuff I needed. It has got two 40 pin extension headers where I could connect a external usb disc. I have plans on trying to draw power directly from the source here as well if the pins doesn't give me the amps I need. I feel that the Radxa Rock setup could work doing what I want but then I was thinking if I should integrate it all in a box, buying or making a chassis together with the components also cost a fair amount. The cost is once again adding up to be more then expected.

Lately I have been reading a lot about the new NUCs, looking in particular at the Intel DN2820FYKH0, sure it costs a bit more at first glance but I get everything integrated that I need, even room and connections to fit a 2.5" HD. All in a nice looking box, so my question to you guys is:

Do I want a NUC? Or can you think of anything else that would be a better fit? Right now it feels like I want a NUC, do I?
Yes, you want a NUC :)

Those other devices aren't bad, but you feel that pull, that urge to have something really snappy and just works really well with most everything you can throw at it. You feel the call of the NUC :D
Dammit, it's on the way.........

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Standalone HTPC - Trail and error0