Television capable of running XBMC natively
Hi,

I'm gonna express my own opinion and I do not mean to be rude in any way.

I work in IT and if there is one thing I have learned since my first days spent on COBOL is that flexibility, modularity and specialization are the keys to a product that will check all boxes of a requirements' list.

So for me, the perfect TV would be exactly that. A TV with deep blacks, no input lag, no ghosting, no light bleeding, a slim bezel... and such technical things.
Ideally, I would even like to remove the integrated speakers as most people with such requirements for a TV also have a separated sound system.

XBMC for me has to be on a small discreet box on the side so that if my needs change and I suddenly decide I do after all need Windows on my TV, I can just switch within a couple of hours.

While I see what you want to accomplish with your project, I seriously doubt that you will manage to get a panel of the highest quality from the best vendors out there. I also do not think that a small xbmc box/hdmi dongle with xbmc is a nuisance. With widi getting better every day, if you really are allergic to cables, you could find a relief there.

All in all, while I understand where you're coming from and I do appreciate your commitment to fight the big ones and bring the prices down, I do not believe that your product stands a chance in the consumer market, especially since you consider the fact that most people would not even start to understand what xbmc is.

I bought a wdlive to my parents (no xbmc but it's extremely simple) and i basically had to write them a manual on how to navigate and play/pause/change files and such.

Once again, there is no attack here, I just express my own point of view regarding that matter.
(2014-05-07, 11:10)Joao_PT Wrote: How do you imagine your perfect tv? I'm talking about a "one click solution" and simplicity

I think you need to also ask an alternative audience.
The TV you post above is appliance-like. That's great because there is a market for that.
Really - you can just do the above by taking an existing TV, and putting a freescale i.mx6 motherboard inside it for $30. Then you have linux, xbmc, wifi, bluetooth, all in one place.

My wife's ideal TV would be:
- Sleek
- Uses a remote
- Automatically downloads the latest episodes of the TV series she likes
- Automatically record whatever shows she wants
- Has no complicated settings.

I think instead of trying to sell a TV to people, just sell a well configured: stick + universal remote + pvr storage that plugs into the HDMI socket on the TV.

People who buy 'appliances' are very particular about what they look like. By selling a stick or box then they get whatever size/look TV they want.

The trick is to make the remote control very simple to configure, and even simpler to use, and work with other devices like satellite TV box,an AV Receiver, and DVD/Blu Ray player. Ideally the device can set itself up automatically, and uses on-screen commands to set it up (not a computer).

Edit: I just looked at your website. Its very nice. But most people would think you are selling a computer - not a TV. It has a keyboard, a mouse, a webcam, and big logo that sticks out. My wife would not let a 47" version of that into the living room. The bezel is also massive for a 'leading edge' appliance. Please consider asking housewives what they want.

Edit 2: Also, it must have a kids mode - so that the kids can get to their content quickly and easily, without navigating through all the 15+ movies.
(2014-05-07, 13:56)Airchtit Wrote: Hi,

I'm gonna express my own opinion and I do not mean to be rude in any way.
(...)

Hi Airchtit,

thank you very much for the feedback.

You were not rude you were very polite and I really appreciate your honesty and straightforwardness.
My friend I really want to succeed so I have to listen very carefully to what is said to me .

I think I may have made a mistake by omission on the site.
My project has as its cornerstone the flexibility and It's supposed to be a product for geeks and for inexperienced users.
The idea of seamless integration is the ability to simplify in all its extension all aspects related to the use of the equipment.

shall I revise this point?

Before I start this project i had to think if there is a market and if there is a real hope to succeed in the short / medium term.

Let me offer my point of view and is no better than yours or others but different and is supported by my vision and passion on the subject .

Let's observe the Raspberry Pi and other devices , not in the sense of cost, quality or category but in the sense of market share and the buyer profile.

Is appropriate to keep in mind the following :
Despite being simple for us to use Raspberry Pi is much more complex than using xbmc, or other media center or even the android .

lets go over the numbers of Raspberry Pi:
- The number of pre-order reached 350k in no time
- In October 2013, they reached two million of Raspberry pi sold.

let us now look at some numbers of Android devices and others:
"By the end of this current year, 1.4 billion smartphones will be in use: 798 million of Them will run Android, 294 million will run Apple's iOS, and 45 million will run Windows Phone, According to a new study by ABI Research."
(http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/06/800-mi...tudy-says/)

Let us now see some numbers of Smart TV:
(...) "Our latest research shows que 67 million were sold worldwide in 2012 and is expected que number to hit 87 million this year. (..)
(http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelwolf/...d-in-2013/)

My first conclusion is that all users of smart devices and gadgets are potential buyers of a Smart TV. Even if not the Smart TV we have in the market today due to all the issues that have been raised here. And all these issues raised are very valid and should be taken seriously.

My second conclusion is that the Smart TV are somehow the future of TV sets.
I believe it will appear in the future some TV well developed and easy to manage and everyone will love to use.
I would like to be the person to develop these devices Wink

Sorry for the text to be so extensive, sometimes I let myself get carried away.

Just one more thing:

You're right about the difficulty in finding quality panels.
But there is other manufacturers besides LG, Samsung, Sony and they make a profit of billions of dollars annually.
May be I have that luck. Wink i hope so Smile

Best regards,
John

If it is not too much trouble, could you subscribe the newsletter?
This way you can be up to date with news about the product.
Project update:

New physical prototype.

best regards,
John
There is a reason Samsung has gotten tot he point where you can upgrade the compoenents of a TV by replacing a single box that connects to the TV by a single cable. It allows you to keep your display for 5+ years easily while you get access to newer technologies like HDMI 2.0 over HDMI 1.4 for example
(2014-08-04, 01:52)Joao_PT Wrote: Project update:

New physical prototype.

best regards,
John

Same picture you posted in April...

(2014-08-04, 05:31)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: Same picture you posted in April...

lol, You are so right
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
(2014-08-04, 05:31)BORIStheBLADE Wrote:
(2014-08-04, 01:52)Joao_PT Wrote: Project update:

New physical prototype.
snip

best regards,
John

Same picture you posted in April...

If you're looking at the original post, it looks like he just edited the original post to include that picture. I don't remember seeing that picture when I saw the thread back when it was first started. Also, look at the date the post was edited. It says it was just edited yesterday, the same day he made that post you quoted.
(2014-08-04, 05:41)lrusak Wrote:
(2014-08-04, 05:31)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: Same picture you posted in April...

lol, You are so right

just check the original post it was edit yesterday. It was added an update.

See the blog: http://aio-one.com/blog/ That was a new post yesterday.

This is the second prototype.V2 model.
I think you could be on to a winner if these were 19" or so tv's. Many people have places in the house where they don't need or want a massive tv, for instance the conservatory or bedroom. I nice clean all in one solution with decent wifi would be great, simply plug into the power and it's able to access tvheadend and all your media.
(2014-08-04, 21:20)nabberuk Wrote: I think you could be on to a winner if these were 19" or so tv's. Many people have places in the house where they don't need or want a massive tv, for instance the conservatory or bedroom. I nice clean all in one solution with decent wifi would be great, simply plug into the power and it's able to access tvheadend and all your media.

As you can see in the site the idea is to have two sizes 22"/47".
The 22" can be use also in schools.

Best regards,
John
Some suggestions:
Vesa mounted box on the back of tv that can be used in any tv with hdmi input and is Codi (xbmc ready) , i think an atom processor (fanless) with ready remote (fully functional out of the box) for Codi would be awesome, two kinds of boxes one android based and one windows based (Codix box a v1 and codix box w v1)(v stands for version, a stands for android, w stands for windows)
If you want to include a tv in the deal that could be in a bargain price with the box and have additional options as controlling the Codi from the same tv remote (only one remote for all setup)
Advantages:
1- can sell the box alone if the user do not want to change his tv
2-Can upgrade the box in the future to version 2, 3 10 etc
3-remote fully functional to Codi no geek work involved
4-Can be used in other uses but if the user returned to xbmc he will find fully supported updated tailor made for the box Codi firmwares (or software and drivers) to return easily
Codi ready (Codix box)(or Cox Box)
B
O
COX
I dont think its wise to have the word "cox" in a consumer product but hey apple got away with pad... Big Grin

wana come over mine and play on the cox box?.....
Then make it Rox Box the box that rocks Codi !!!
R
-Ox
B
Advantages over generic boxes:
1-tailor made modifications to box software to optimize Codi experience and fully functional remote out of the box etc
2- Chosen hardware fully tested for ultimate experience out of the box no geek adjustments or non functional parts
The windows atom version Rox Box w v1 could come with openelec to remove windows licensing fees but the website will have tailor made for the box drivers for remote etc
Hi,

Something has changed in the world of televisions. they are not made to last much more than five years and even if it lasts will be technologically obsolete. and this is a change of paradigm in relation to the past 20 years.
And about the price :there are Tablet and smartphones more expensive than a smart tv and people change their mobile phone at least one time every 5 or 3 years.

Só why an extra box? You will buy a new tv in the next five years or update it if is possible.

according to what I believe these boxes are part of the past and not the future.

there are things that can only be achieved by integrating. When my GUI is ready you will see why.

Best regards,
John

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Television capable of running XBMC natively1