OSD never hides while playing a video
After about 2 hours of googling and checking setting, I figured that playback controls should autohide after some seconds.

However, I never saw that working. "Now playing" never autohides unless I press Escape or the right mouse button. Mouse cursor also never hides. Any ideas?

This is on 12.3, default skin, Windows 7.
Unplug your mouse and it'll go away. Your mouse is constantly sending "I've moved" messages. If that works, just disable mouse will get rid of it.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

It's also possible you accidentally toggled the OSD on at some point. I believe the OSD remembers it's last setting. Try pressing the M key. That should make the OSD go away. If it doesn't, you may have the mouse issue jmarshall indicated.

BTW, all the keyboard shortcuts are listed here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Keyboard_controls
My mouse is not sending any extra messages, as the screen saves easily comes up on idle time. The fact that the OSD shows up is not a problem, I'm aware if I moved the mouse or not. The problem is that the "autohide" never fires.

This is the scenario: In the reddit plugin, in the list of videos I click on the video. Now, the video starts playing, and the mouse cursor stays in the same position and does not disappear. This becomes annoying so I instinctively move it to the edge of the screen. Now the OSD / Now playing video controls show up (because I moved the mouse.)

Now I can hide the controls either by clicking the right mouse button (which has about 30% of chance of again showing the OSD right back because I accidentally moved the mouse while releasing the key). Or I can press the Esc button.

So, now the procedure for actually watching a two minute video is: click on the list, move mouse to the right, click Esc. Please tell me that this is not the way it is supposed to work. Smile
The mouse is sending messages of movement. No other way this happens as the only thing stopping the pointer from hiding is the mouse reporting that something has happened.

Again, unplug or turn off mouse support in System->Input Devices and notice the problem no longer occurs.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

(2014-04-25, 07:12)jmarshall Wrote: Again, unplug or turn off mouse support in System->Input Devices and notice the problem no longer occurs.

Ok, thanks for the suggestion. After disabling the mouse in XMBC, the mouse cursor is no longer visible.

Now, when playing a video, after pressing M, the controls show up as expected, and they stay there forever. Are the supposed to stay up in this case, or should autohide work in this case? Anyway, the controls are still not auto-hiding.

I'm guessing it's not mouse movement that is causing the problems. Even with mouse enabled, the OSD, that is "playing now" with controls is not poping up randomly. It is just that, once it is shown, it never auto hides.
Yes, they're supposed to stay up forever if you manually show them via M.

Similarly if you show them directly via any other means with the exception of touch or mouse movement.

I figured it out. Windows will sometimes send WM_MOUSE messages without mouse movement, and they would be exactly one second apart. I don't know why, but it seems to happen to other people as well. Google "wm_mousemove without mouse movement." Those messages would go into any window under cursor, and if you had XBMC on full screen, and with a single monitor, there was no way to move the mouse cursor outside of the window.

I created a simple fix where those messages are detected and discarded.

There was some code that looked like an attempt to fix this issue, by requiring the mouse cursor to move for more than one pixel for the OSD to show, but this fix was only working in the case when the OSD was closed. The case where mouse was checked for being idle did not have this check, so, once OSD was mouse-shown, neither mouse cursor nor the OSD itself would ever hide.
(2014-04-27, 16:47)mestar12345 Wrote: I created a simple fix where those messages are detected and discarded.

Can you please share your fix? Having this issue too all of a sudden. Was fine till 2 days ago and now suddenly OSD doesn't go away and if I right click and remove it the cursor still stays on.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OSD never hides while playing a video0