Req Need IOS 4.2.1 armv6 app
I want to use my iPod Touch 2g as a XBMC remote. It is armv6, and stuck at iOS 4.2.1. Is it possible to back port this great app to support legacy iOS devices like mine?

I tried to build the latest from github with XCode 4.4.1 / iPhoneOS5.1 SDK, but there are too many API differences (I'm not a mobile app developer). I know it's a long shot, as I would not think it's a high priority item on the list of TODOs myself. However, such an app would allow a lot of iPod Touch 2g/3g owners out there... if Apple's AppStore does not accept it, one can at least have the option of JailBreak and use Cydia repository to install it.

Right now, there's an old version of boxee-remote client (v1.0) out there in Cydia repo, but it only supports BDP1 UDP broadcast to find Boxee/XBMC instances. I will try creating a BDP1 UDP server to publish my XBMC instance, but I don't know if other things in that app would work, after it finds my XBMC 12.3 instance...
sorry but the app has never supported iOS4, was born with iOS5 as minimum requirement
Wow thanks for fast response... I understand. As I said it's a long shot, esp. since I am not a mobile developer and would not know how painful it would be to backport (let alone maintain for the time being with new features). I will see what I can do with that boxee-remote client then. Hopefully all it takes is running a simple BDP1 aware UDP server to publish my XBMC's IPTongueort etc. info to BDP1 broadcasts on the LAN.
It's a shame technology marches on and takes software developers with it.

Using an old iphone/ipod touch as a cheap dedicated remote seems so obvious.
You can't blame anyone this time. When the first line of code of the remote app was written, iOS5 was already released and since those days that the app still support iOS5.
Did you ever find a decent remote app for iOS4? In the same boat and would love to repurpose my old 3G.
Have you tried XBMoteC. I am pretty sure it is still running on an old 3GS.
(2014-10-31, 18:50)phillie14586 Wrote: Have you tried XBMoteC. I am pretty sure it is still running on an old 3GS.

no, but according to the iTunes page it requires iOS 4.3, but the latest compatible with the 3G is iOS 4.2.1...maybe will try to load it anyway and see if it works...any idea if that app has an onscreen keyboard?
Did it work for you? The program does not have a keyboard. Entering passwords and such you need to move around the onscreen keyboard in Kodi.
(2014-11-04, 19:58)phillie14586 Wrote: Did it work for you? The program does not have a keyboard. Entering passwords and such you need to move around the onscreen keyboard in Kodi.

Nope, didn't work...apparently apps compiled for 4.3+ use armv7, but the 3G is armv6, so there seems to be an actual hw-level incompatibility.

Ended up using HippoRemote Lite/VNC. The pro version has profiles too (including an XBMC one), so may be worth upgrading at some point. My reasoning was at least it is standards based (VNC), and the host is open source...Trying to minimize the number of daemons/servers my poor HTPC runs...

http://hipporemote.com/lite
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hipporem...mpt=uo%3D4

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need IOS 4.2.1 armv6 app1