• 2(current)
Release [beta] reFred - 1.2.0 Beta 1 released
Greetings,

I had the chance to download your skin and quite like it. I wanted to provide some constructive feedback:

1. The new list views are great, but you didn't provide enough room for longer titles. There is too much scrolling when there is more than adequate space for a wider text box.

2. Some views are missing information that are provided in other views (see below). For example, in thumbnails view, there is no indication of the resolution and audio track (720P 5.1, for example).

Also, is it possible to add an option to replace the star rating with the numerical IMDB score. The stars are not my favorite and not nearly as insightful as a numerical rating:

The logo in this view is too small. And, again, I'd prefer the IMDB rating to the stars:

3. In the video info screen, I can access further information about the cast, but I cannot see what other titles I have from the same director. This is basic functionality in other skins.

It would also be great if you added compatibility with Metadata Actors. Knowing what movies in my collection star the same director or actor is nice. But being able to check their complete filmography is even better:

4. Some views contain stars when an item has no available rating. The stars could be removed in the views for music and video add-ons:

5. Text size is an issue in many views. I feel plot outlines are too small to read from 10 feet away. I also have an issue with these items on the home screen:

6. This is a bug that was discovered when choosing episode information. The show poster should show rather than the episode thumb:

7. Is it possible to add a watched flag? I'd prefer that to an unwatched indicator, as most of my collection is unwatched. This creates unnecessary clutter.

Outside of these issues, this is one of the better skins I've tried. Thanks for your contribution!
wow, great, thank you very much, I still have a little fear of disturbing! you are a programer and need a lot of your time. a big thank you Smile
I'm not a programer ^^
Main: Lancool II Mesh  - Ryzen 9 5900x - MSI x570 Unify - Zotac RTX 3080 AMP HOLO - 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 -  EVO 960 M.2 250GB / EVO 940 250GB / MX100 512GB /  Crucial P1 2TB / WD Blue 3D Nand 2TB 
Sound: Saxx AS30 DSP - Beyer Dynamic Custom One Pro 
TV: Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro- Adalight 114x LEDs - Sony 65XG9505 - Kodi / Emby - Yamaha RX-V683 - Heco Victa 700/101/251a + Dynavoice Magic FX-4
Server: i3 Skylake - 8GB - OMV4 - 22TB Storage
(2014-04-30, 23:53)Warner306 Wrote: Greetings,

I had the chance to download your skin and quite like it. I wanted to provide some constructive feedback:

1. The new list views are great, but you didn't provide enough room for longer titles. There is too much scrolling when there is more than adequate space for a wider text box.

I checked it with my library and I only got one or two titles which are cutted off. 99% of my library fits in. In this case I prefer to leaf it as it is atm.

(2014-04-30, 23:53)Warner306 Wrote: 2. Some views are missing information that are provided in other views (see below). For example, in thumbnails view, there is no indication of the resolution and audio track (720P 5.1, for example).

Also, is it possible to add an option to replace the star rating with the numerical IMDB score. The stars are not my favorite and not nearly as insightful as a numerical rating:

A new package today will have extended information for the left/right list. I will add them to the other step by step.
My plans are to replace the star rating in the future by a IDMB number. But this would take me too much time now.

(2014-04-30, 23:53)Warner306 Wrote: The logo in this view is too small. And, again, I'd prefer the IMDB rating to the stars:

3. In the video info screen, I can access further information about the cast, but I cannot see what other titles I have from the same director. This is basic functionality in other skins.

It would also be great if you added compatibility with Metadata Actors. Knowing what movies in my collection star the same director or actor is nice. But being able to check their complete filmography is even better:

I definitely will add meta actors in the future.

(2014-04-30, 23:53)Warner306 Wrote: 4. Some views contain stars when an item has no available rating. The stars could be removed in the views for music and video add-ons:

5. Text size is an issue in many views. I feel plot outlines are too small to read from 10 feet away. I also have an issue with these items on the home screen:

I tested the skin in on 3 different HTPC/living rooms and I dont see any problem with the font size. And 10 feets are just 3m. How big is your tv? ^^ I don't want to change the font sizes. I have a 47" 1080p screen and I'm also 3m away. Everything is readable without any problems.

(2014-04-30, 23:53)Warner306 Wrote: 6. This is a bug that was discovered when choosing episode information. The show poster should show rather than the episode thumb:

Yep, will be fixed in the next updated package.

(2014-04-30, 23:53)Warner306 Wrote: 7. Is it possible to add a watched flag? I'd prefer that to an unwatched indicator, as most of my collection is unwatched. This creates unnecessary clutter.

Outside of these issues, this is one of the better skins I've tried. Thanks for your contribution!
This skin supports a watched and paused/inpgroess flag. There is is no unwatched indicator. As you see in the gallery there is a green symbol with a tick for "watched" and a orange one with a pause symbol for "in progress". The other listed media files are unwatched.

And... thank you for your time and your great feedback.
Main: Lancool II Mesh  - Ryzen 9 5900x - MSI x570 Unify - Zotac RTX 3080 AMP HOLO - 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 -  EVO 960 M.2 250GB / EVO 940 250GB / MX100 512GB /  Crucial P1 2TB / WD Blue 3D Nand 2TB 
TV: Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro- Adalight 114x LEDs - Sony 65XG9505 - Kodi / Emby - Yamaha RX-V683 - Heco Victa 700/101/251a + Dynavoice Magic FX-4
(2014-05-01, 07:32)sualfred Wrote: This skin supports a watched and paused/inpgroess flag. There is is no unwatched indicator. As you see in the gallery there is a green symbol with a tick for "watched" and a orange one with a pause symbol for "in progress". The other listed media files are unwatched.

And... thank you for your time and your great feedback.

About the text size, I have a 60' TV that is viewed from more like 12 feet than 10 feet. Most skins lean towards smaller font sizes because they look better from a design perspective. I prefer to err on the side of larger font and extra line spacing in places where people have to do a lot of reading (like plot outlines, for example). A 47' from 3m away is pretty close compared to my viewing environment. I can read it, but it is a bit of a strain.
I'm sorry. But atm I won't change the fontsize. For me and my guys here in my town it's perfect as it is. Maybe I will change it in the future. But this are just minor things for me.

By the way:
New package uploaded.
Changes -> LeftList for music and extended media information icons for the Left/RightList view of the videodb.

Update online:

sualfred, looks great! I tried downloading the .rar file and on extraction it freezes on the "IncludesMenuVariables.xml" file every time. Any idea why that's happening? Have you given any thoughts to using github so we can pull changes easier?

Thanks in advance.
No idea why it's freezing O_o
Yeah, I think I will create a git asap.

By the way:
New package uploaded:
- Improved Video/LiveTV OSD screens
- Fix LeftList/RightList TVShows seasons window
- Fix music widgetbar if no music db is used
- Replaced the clearart with fanart of the TVshow widget panel details to prevent missing images.
I had some more time to play with the skin and have some further feedback:

1. I found the "watched" indicator toggle but missed it the first time because I believe it is labelled the "unwatched" indicator (you'll have to check this).

2. The studio icons need some work. Many are missing/inconsistent and the sizes are all over the map.

3. I'm not sure if you plan on adding menu customization, but, for most people, this is one of the most important parts of adopting a skin and making it your own. I would suggest looking at Aeon Nox Version 5 as a good guide on how to simplify this process while allowing the user to insert and remove menu items as they please.

4. I'd watch your use of enlarged album art. The default size in XBMC is 1000 x 1000, but many albums are uploaded at sizes smaller than that. Some screens (such as list) have the album art taking up half of the screen. Some albums don't look bad, but other look terrible. I would replace the album posters with artist fanart, which is better-designed for this task.

I hope you reach your goal and make to the end of this process. Your skin is a worthy addition to the XBMC repo.
3 -> Nope. This wont happen. There is already a customization possible.
(2014-05-01, 13:58)deletedpenguin Wrote: sualfred, looks great! I tried downloading the .rar file and on extraction it freezes on the "IncludesMenuVariables.xml" file every time. Any idea why that's happening? Have you given any thoughts to using github so we can pull changes easier?

Thanks in advance.

(2014-05-01, 18:51)sualfred Wrote: No idea why it's freezing O_o
Yeah, I think I will create a git asap.

By the way:
New package uploaded:
- Improved Video/LiveTV OSD screens
- Fix LeftList/RightList TVShows seasons window
- Fix music widgetbar if no music db is used
- Replaced the clearart with fanart of the TVshow widget panel details to prevent missing images.

Tried a different browser this morning and it seemed to unzip OK. No idea what was causing it.
I have only registered to this board to say "Daunkscheee" (thanks) for this very promising skin! Keep up the great work!
I'm still playing around with the video/pvr OSD things.

New package:
- changed video/pvr OSD overlays
- changed dialog colors
- added "system" to the system menu
- a few things.... that I forgot
Hey mate, any progress on getting this onto github?

Thanks in advance.
I acting like a noob and my GitHUB client freezes every time ^^ Still fighting with it Smile
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[beta] reFred - 1.2.0 Beta 1 released22