4.1.9 vs. 5
Hey all,

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but could someone explain to me the difference between versions 4.1.9 and 5? I keep seeing comments about how 4.1.9 is "heavier" and has more eye candy, but from the screen shots, they look pretty similar. Is there something going on under the hood that drives this Nox schism? I'm thinking about switching over from AQ5 and not sure which is the right skin for me. Thanks!
Good question ratzofftoya !
Is there a schism ? Or simply a continuity ?
While I wouldn't mind that part of the question being answers, too, I'm less interested in Aeon Nox politics and more in the actual differences so that I can make a decision. I realize that this question would be solved by just testing both out, but my time is severely limited and I won't be able to get a good sense of the two until I populate the fanart, pare down the menus, etc.

In terms of my preferences, I like clean lines, lots of HD fanart, but not too much of an interface (i.e. widgets, furniture, etc).
(2014-04-30, 01:50)ratzofftoya Wrote: While I wouldn't mind that part of the question being answers, too, I'm less interested in Aeon Nox politics and more in the actual differences so that I can make a decision. I realize that this question would be solved by just testing both out, but my time is severely limited and I won't be able to get a good sense of the two until I populate the fanart, pare down the menus, etc.

In terms of my preferences, I like clean lines, lots of HD fanart, but not too much of an interface (i.e. widgets, furniture, etc).

From your preferences .. AN5 should be right up your alley..There's no Politics here.. just some people like myself really love some features and the customisations one can achieve from AN4 and hence AN4.1.9 .. Otherwise AN5 is fast responsive & not too much of an interface
(2014-04-30, 02:53)shaktoo Wrote:
(2014-04-30, 01:50)ratzofftoya Wrote: While I wouldn't mind that part of the question being answers, too, I'm less interested in Aeon Nox politics and more in the actual differences so that I can make a decision. I realize that this question would be solved by just testing both out, but my time is severely limited and I won't be able to get a good sense of the two until I populate the fanart, pare down the menus, etc.

From your preferences .. AN5 should be right up your alley..There's no Politics here.. just some people like myself really love some features and the customisations one can achieve from AN4 and hence AN4.1.9 .. Otherwise AN5 is fast responsive & not too much of an interface

Thanks! Very helpful.

Which features and customization options do you appreciate having in 4.1.9?
4.1.9 has somewhere near 10 more views and many of those have options to radically alter that view as well. Landscape on Nox 4 can display: Thumbnails, Logos, Single Logo, Clear Art, Regular text and probably something else I'm forgetting.

It also has cases for movies(blu ray cases for example), animations to display movie discs(single or in sets), many different widgets and options to alter their appearance as well...just to name a few.

That being said, if you're trying to run it on a raspberryPi, it won't end well. Too much textures, memory, processor intensive, etc.

Test them both and see if you want all the artwork at the cost of speed.

I love em both Smile
Setting up a fresh copy of Version 5 is very easy to do as the options are streamlined (skin settings impact all views globally as opposed to the view-specific approach in Version 4). The developer of Version 5 is the same developer of Version 4. Using his personal preferences, he has taken what he likes best from Version 4 and put it into Version 5 with an emphasis on speed and ease-of-use. Basically, I'd start with Version 5 and customize it. If you feel there is anything missing, try downloading Version 4. You'll spend far more time customizing Version 4, but that's I what I wanted in the first place.

If there is one distinct difference between the two, it's text size. I have used custom font files to improve the readability of plot outlines and other text in Version 4. Version 5 focuses heavily on readability from a 10 foot interface. The easy-to-read text is the only improvement I miss in Version 4.

My favorite features from Version 4 are frequent uses of Blu-ray disc art in the movies sections (I can't get enough of the rolling discs in Showcase view, the video info screen and views for movie box sets). I also dig the color icons mod (which enhances the overall look of the skin considerably) and compatibility with Metadata Actors (which I deem a necessity).
(2014-04-30, 06:39)Warner306 Wrote: Setting up a fresh copy of Version 5 is very easy to do as the options are streamlined (skin settings impact all views globally as opposed to the view-specific approach in Version 4). The developer of Version 5 is the same developer of Version 4. Using his personal preferences, he has taken what he likes best from Version 4 and put it into Version 5 with an emphasis on speed and ease-of-use. Basically, I'd start with Version 5 and customize it. If you feel there is anything missing, try downloading Version 4. You'll spend far more time customizing Version 4, but that's I what I wanted in the first place.

If there is one distinct difference between the two, it's text size. I have used custom font files to improve the readability of plot outlines and other text in Version 4. Version 5 focuses heavily on readability from a 10 foot interface. The easy-to-read text is the only improvement I miss in Version 4.

My favorite features from Version 4 are frequent uses of Blu-ray disc art in the movies sections (I can't get enough of the rolling discs in Showcase view, the video info screen and views for movie box sets). I also dig the color icons mod (which enhances the overall look of the skin considerably) and compatibility with Metadata Actors (which I deem a necessity).
Exactly my sentiments.
try Both but remember AN4 is wayy Heavy ( although my Ion based HTPC is able to run it smoothly) whereas AN5 is streamlined , Less heavy on resources but equally beautiful. I love them both but my day to day skin has been AN4.
Does anyone happen to have any screenshots that illustrate some of the differences?
A lot of people already explained the differences but i want to add my impression.
I tried for a copule of days aeon nox 4.1.9 for gotham and seems to me that is actually even heavier than aeon nox 4 for frodo and it has also more customizations and integration. Is it only me or someone got the same impression?
(2014-05-01, 21:22)Eldar3333 Wrote: Does anyone happen to have any screenshots that illustrate some of the differences?

Why not just download them both and try them?
The biggest difference for me is the Episode View. AN4 has it, AN5 doesn't and AN5 doesn't have a decent replacement for it imho so i won't use AN5.

Although i will say the last time i tried AN5 was about a month ago.
The only thing I miss from AN 4.19 are the rounded corners on the "Shift" view. It makes for a more polished look!

Anybody know if it would be possible to add this to AN 5 please?
(2014-05-02, 14:43)thewarm Wrote: The only thing I miss from AN 4.19 are the rounded corners on the "Shift" view. It makes for a more polished look!

Anybody know if it would be possible to add this to AN 5 please?
AN5 is all about the square corners...
(2014-05-02, 05:35)Vaikin Wrote:
(2014-05-01, 21:22)Eldar3333 Wrote: Does anyone happen to have any screenshots that illustrate some of the differences?

Why not just download them both and try them?

For me I'd rather get a sense of what I want and get it done, rather than going back and forth between the two, if possible. I'm just saying some visual side-by-side comparison would be a helpful answer to the the question asked at the beginning of this thread.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4.1.9 vs. 50