XBMC on Boxee Box - WOW!
Yesterday I pulled my old Boxee Box from the closet and blew off the dust. With some simple instructions and a USB stick I was able to install XBMC. It streams like a champion, with no pauses or buffering. If you have a boxee box hanging around you simply have to try this. Here is a link that will get you started:

http://smyl.es/how-to-obtain-root-instal...boxee-box/

It is not mine, and I am no expert at all. I simply followed it and it worked beautifully. If you want to try it I can help with questions.
I tried it awhile back but it was quite slow compared to my ouya.
Interesting. I have never had an Ouya. I do have XIOS DS running linux XBMC, and I run XBMC on Windows 8.1 and on a MacBook. The Boxee is running as good or better than those. Thanks for the info. I will look at the Ouya as well.
Does netflix work on xbmc running on a boxee box?
Running XBMC on my Boxee Box too - works quite well. Apparently running off a USB stick is better than the SD card, had issues at first - but after using USB have had no problems. Runs quite well. Looking at upgrading now so I can run Sabnzbd + sick beard in the background though.
Been using this option for the Boxee and encourage all to use it. Boxee hardware runs XBMC well with no issues. I recommend the USB stick option as well. Simplified instructions can be found on the boxed in forum. http://boxeed.in/forums/
(2014-06-08, 17:34)carylewis2011 Wrote: Does netflix work on xbmc running on a boxee box?

I am interested in that as well.
you'll need to boot back into boxee mode to access netflix.
(2014-06-09, 16:23)kdnoel Wrote: Been using this option for the Boxee and encourage all to use it. Boxee hardware runs XBMC well with no issues. I recommend the USB stick option as well. Simplified instructions can be found on the boxed in forum. http://boxeed.in/forums/

Last time I tried it (which admittedly was months ago) it was pretty terrible.

I've learned to tread cautiously when using statements like "no issues" because that's usually not the case.
(2014-06-10, 01:04)voip-ninja Wrote:
(2014-06-09, 16:23)kdnoel Wrote: Been using this option for the Boxee and encourage all to use it. Boxee hardware runs XBMC well with no issues. I recommend the USB stick option as well. Simplified instructions can be found on the boxed in forum. http://boxeed.in/forums/

I've learned to tread cautiously when using statements like "no issues" because that's usually not the case.

The release from a couple of days ago is Gotham 13.1 and has been very stable the last few months.
The only issues I'm aware of are known and listed by XBMC.

We've been enjoying our boxee again for the last 4 months and canceled our Netflix account. If you do want to use Netflix you can start-up without the USB stick and use it on the boxee.

Come on in the water is warm and the sun is shining!
I use it as a secondary device. It works well enough for what I need it for.
OSMC Vero 4K, Intel NUC Celeron 847, ODroid N2+, Raspberry Pi3 LibreELEC. Amazon Fire TV
Vizio  Atmos 7.1
LG 65" OLED
(2014-06-10, 01:15)kdnoel Wrote:
(2014-06-10, 01:04)voip-ninja Wrote:

The release from a couple of days ago is Gotham 13.1 and has been very stable the last few months.
The only issues I'm aware of are known and listed by XBMC.

We've been enjoying our boxee again for the last 4 months and canceled our Netflix account. If you do want to use Netflix you can start-up without the USB stick and use it on the boxee.

Come on in the water is warm and the sun is shining!

Playing around with it and yeah, not too shabby. Certainly plays more file formats than the much vaunted Fire TV and lets me repurpose a box that is getting really long in the tooth.

Pretty poky though (on par with FTV I guess)... and using the integrated remote is a headache because many of the much needed keys (context menu for example) are on the back and impossible to see in anything other than full lighting. Too bad an IR remote can't power the box on via a USB dongle.
[/quote]

Playing around with it and yeah, not too shabby. Certainly plays more file formats than the much vaunted Fire TV and lets me repurpose a box that is getting really long in the tooth.

Pretty poky though (on par with FTV I guess)... and using the integrated remote is a headache because many of the much needed keys (context menu for example) are on the back and impossible to see in anything other than full lighting. Too bad an IR remote can't power the box on via a USB dongle.
[/quote]
The adjustment to using the remote keypad was awkward but it's not bad for being recycled.
You're right about the file formats! Boxee was always strong in this area.
A fast USB 3 stick helps out. It still holds its own for being an older box compared to the new Android boxes.
(2014-06-11, 00:20)kdnoel Wrote: The adjustment to using the remote keypad was awkward but it's not bad for being recycled.
A fast USB 3 stick helps out. It still holds its own for being an older box compared to the new Android boxes.

I ordered a fast USB 3 stick will see how much of a difference it makes. If the navigation was just a little bit faster it would actually be pretty decent way to run XBMC on the cheap... certainly better than FireTV for me since I need support for formats other than H264.
(2014-06-12, 16:03)voip-ninja Wrote:
(2014-06-11, 00:20)kdnoel Wrote: The adjustment to using the remote keypad was awkward but it's not bad for being recycled.

I ordered a fast USB 3 stick will see how much of a difference it makes. If the navigation was just a little bit faster it would actually be pretty decent way to run XBMC on the cheap... certainly better than FireTV for me since I need support for formats other than H264.
I actually realized how good I had it after setting up a MX2 and Fire box for family. If one has a Boxee sitting around then Boxed-In is the way to go.
I haven't tried to do the automatic internal install yet but have noticed many comments about menu navigation being faster.
If you try it out before I get a chance let me know what you think.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Boxee Box - WOW!2