XBMC on Boxee Box - WOW!
I have an opportunity to pick up a Boxee for $50. I am already running XBMC on my Ouya, but would like a cheap box that does 24p and comes with a decent remote. Curious to hear from people here that have been using XBMC on their Boxees as to how well it's running. I'm not interested in spending a lot of money on a NUC or other x86 based system, so don't bother telling me to save my money and buy something better than Boxee. Rather, I just want to know if it seems like a good xbmc investment for $50.
(2014-07-13, 21:30)ryecatcher74 Wrote: I have an opportunity to pick up a Boxee for $50. I am already running XBMC on my Ouya, but would like a cheap box that does 24p and comes with a decent remote. Curious to hear from people here that have been using XBMC on their Boxees as to how well it's running. I'm not interested in spending a lot of money on a NUC or other x86 based system, so don't bother telling me to save my money and buy something better than Boxee. Rather, I just want to know if it seems like a good xbmc investment for $50.

Yeah for 50 bucks you can't go wrong. It will run, just won't be super fast, but definitely manageable. I had to experiment with different builds because the most current build was just too laggy, but anyhow make sure you run it off USB and run a light skin. Installing to Internal memory on boxee is REAL laggy.
A full blown HTPC for 50.00 is a no brainer for running XBMC.
http://boxeed.in/forums/
(2014-07-15, 06:03)JxPx Wrote:
(2014-07-13, 21:30)ryecatcher74 Wrote: I have an opportunity to pick up a Boxee for $50. I am already running XBMC on my Ouya, but would like a cheap box that does 24p and comes with a decent remote. Curious to hear from people here that have been using XBMC on their Boxees as to how well it's running. I'm not interested in spending a lot of money on a NUC or other x86 based system, so don't bother telling me to save my money and buy something better than Boxee. Rather, I just want to know if it seems like a good xbmc investment for $50.

Yeah for 50 bucks you can't go wrong. It will run, just won't be super fast, but definitely manageable. I had to experiment with different builds because the most current build was just too laggy, but anyhow make sure you run it off USB and run a light skin. Installing to Internal memory on boxee is REAL laggy.

Where can i find different builds for Boxee? Which one is fastest? I have bought a USB3 to make it faster.
The link above your post will lead you to the hack and XBMC 13.1.
@saudagar: Goto the link in kdnoel's post and once on the forums, just PM one of the dev's and they should be able to get you the link to all there builds. If I still had the link, I would provide it, but I don't have the link anymore. Because I want speed with my massive library, I ended up scarpping the boxee box for another project. But yeah those guys should be able to provide the link. If you have a hard time, shoot me a PM and if I still have the zip file, which I think I do, of the build I was using, I will upload it to ya!
(2014-07-18, 20:50)JxPx Wrote: @saudagar: Goto the link in kdnoel's post and once on the forums, just PM one of the dev's and they should be able to get you the link to all there builds. If I still had the link, I would provide it, but I don't have the link anymore. Because I want speed with my massive library, I ended up scarpping the boxee box for another project. But yeah those guys should be able to provide the link. If you have a hard time, shoot me a PM and if I still have the zip file, which I think I do, of the build I was using, I will upload it to ya!

Thanks!! i went through the link and found 13.1, it seems much faster than 14.1 they have.
I have Boxee as second box, i have a i3 NUC and ofcourse we cannot compare the two.
Stick with 13.1 as it is stable and a final release.
would installing xbmc on a 500gb western digital usb hard drive be better than just a usb stick or are there people having problems using external hard drives? would like to have the extra space
(2014-07-24, 17:00)nikicollazo Wrote: would installing xbmc on a 500gb western digital usb hard drive be better than just a usb stick or are there people having problems using external hard drives? would like to have the extra space
Stick with the USB stick. Use you drive for movie storage by telling XBMC where to see it. Stick is much faster response for the programs to run on.
I gave up on the Boxee Box and in the process of moving to the Raspi. I have 2 BBox's and the slow boot times, audio drop outs and video freeze while skipping where just starting to annoy me (been using XBMC on it since the early alphas). The Raspi and BBox perform about the same as far as I can tell.

Yes the BBox has the better hardware on paper, but the software is functional but buggy and no real support from the XBMC devs. If the XBMC devs fully supported the hardware like they do with the Raspi and ATV I'm sure it can out perform the Raspi. Until then it's not going to get better than what it is now, plus there is like 1 dev working on the project now.
(2014-07-27, 20:46)jebise Wrote: I gave up on the Boxee Box and in the process of moving to the Raspi. I have 2 BBox's and the slow boot times, audio drop outs and video freeze while skipping where just starting to annoy me (been using XBMC on it since the early alphas). The Raspi and BBox perform about the same as far as I can tell.

Yes the BBox has the better hardware on paper, but the software is functional but buggy and no real support from the XBMC devs. If the XBMC devs fully supported the hardware like they do with the Raspi and ATV I'm sure it can out perform the Raspi. Until then it's not going to get better than what it is now, plus there is like 1 dev working on the project now.

Well, for those of us with a Bbox it makes sense to run XBMC on it rather than shelling out $40 + other costs (remote control, case, etc) for a rasp-pi. Perhaps if buying for the first time the Boxee would not be considered due to how old the platform is, and that it is more or less discontinued from the vendor.

Still not a bad box now that it can run XBMC. I wouldn't run it in a theater situation (I run mine on smaller secondary TVs sprinkled around the house) but then again I would find anything below i3 painful for my real TV/theater setup.
I have found Boxee to be a stable and reliable solution to run XBMC. Being a repurposed device has been economical and keep it out of the landfill for now. I haven't experienced all the issues you have described.
I'm glad you are happy with your replacement choice. I'll be going with an i3 or better solution when the Boxee fails.
(2014-07-29, 15:51)kdnoel Wrote: I have found Boxee to be a stable and reliable solution to run XBMC. Being a repurposed device has been economical and keep it out of the landfill for now. I haven't experienced all the issues you have described.
I'm glad you are happy with your replacement choice. I'll be going with an i3 or better solution when the Boxee fails.

The Haswell i3 NUC is an outstanding box for running XBMC. The new beta OE load fixes a few of the lingering decoding issues and it is the only device out there that has perfect 23.976 playback... can't recommend it enough. I just put one together for $300 total... and it's a power house. Hope to get several years of solid service out of it.
(2014-07-29, 17:17)voip-ninja Wrote: [quote='kdnoel' pid='1761502' dateline='1406641881']

The Haswell i3 NUC is an outstanding box for running XBMC. The new beta OE load fixes a few of the lingering decoding issues and it is the only device out there that has perfect 23.976 playback... can't recommend it enough. I just put one together for $300 total... and it's a power house. Hope to get several years of solid service out of it.
Thanks for your input!
Exactly inline with my thoughts.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Boxee Box - WOW!2