XBMC on Boxee Box - WOW!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
ryecatcher74 Offline
I have an opportunity to pick up a Boxee for $50. I am already running XBMC on my Ouya, but would like a cheap box that does 24p and comes with a decent remote. Curious to hear from people here that have been using XBMC on their Boxees as to how well it's running. I'm not interested in spending a lot of money on a NUC or other x86 based system, so don't bother telling me to save my money and buy something better than Boxee. Rather, I just want to know if it seems like a good xbmc investment for $50.
find quote
JxPx Offline
(2014-07-13 21:30)ryecatcher74 Wrote:  I have an opportunity to pick up a Boxee for $50. I am already running XBMC on my Ouya, but would like a cheap box that does 24p and comes with a decent remote. Curious to hear from people here that have been using XBMC on their Boxees as to how well it's running. I'm not interested in spending a lot of money on a NUC or other x86 based system, so don't bother telling me to save my money and buy something better than Boxee. Rather, I just want to know if it seems like a good xbmc investment for $50.

Yeah for 50 bucks you can't go wrong. It will run, just won't be super fast, but definitely manageable. I had to experiment with different builds because the most current build was just too laggy, but anyhow make sure you run it off USB and run a light skin. Installing to Internal memory on boxee is REAL laggy.

MyStIc
VeRgIlIuS
"The one Hope for the Doomed is not to Hope for Safety"
[Image: life.gif]
My First HTPC
HTPC Build 2->Zotac Zbox EI750 OpenElec
find quote
kdnoel Offline
A full blown HTPC for 50.00 is a no brainer for running XBMC.
http://boxeed.in/forums/

Using Tapatalk
find quote
saudagar Offline
(2014-07-15 06:03)JxPx Wrote:  
(2014-07-13 21:30)ryecatcher74 Wrote:  I have an opportunity to pick up a Boxee for $50. I am already running XBMC on my Ouya, but would like a cheap box that does 24p and comes with a decent remote. Curious to hear from people here that have been using XBMC on their Boxees as to how well it's running. I'm not interested in spending a lot of money on a NUC or other x86 based system, so don't bother telling me to save my money and buy something better than Boxee. Rather, I just want to know if it seems like a good xbmc investment for $50.

Yeah for 50 bucks you can't go wrong. It will run, just won't be super fast, but definitely manageable. I had to experiment with different builds because the most current build was just too laggy, but anyhow make sure you run it off USB and run a light skin. Installing to Internal memory on boxee is REAL laggy.

Where can i find different builds for Boxee? Which one is fastest? I have bought a USB3 to make it faster.
find quote
kdnoel Offline
The link above your post will lead you to the hack and XBMC 13.1.

Using Tapatalk
find quote
JxPx Offline
@saudagar: Goto the link in kdnoel's post and once on the forums, just PM one of the dev's and they should be able to get you the link to all there builds. If I still had the link, I would provide it, but I don't have the link anymore. Because I want speed with my massive library, I ended up scarpping the boxee box for another project. But yeah those guys should be able to provide the link. If you have a hard time, shoot me a PM and if I still have the zip file, which I think I do, of the build I was using, I will upload it to ya!

MyStIc
VeRgIlIuS
"The one Hope for the Doomed is not to Hope for Safety"
[Image: life.gif]
My First HTPC
HTPC Build 2->Zotac Zbox EI750 OpenElec
find quote
saudagar Offline
(2014-07-18 20:50)JxPx Wrote:  @saudagar: Goto the link in kdnoel's post and once on the forums, just PM one of the dev's and they should be able to get you the link to all there builds. If I still had the link, I would provide it, but I don't have the link anymore. Because I want speed with my massive library, I ended up scarpping the boxee box for another project. But yeah those guys should be able to provide the link. If you have a hard time, shoot me a PM and if I still have the zip file, which I think I do, of the build I was using, I will upload it to ya!

Thanks!! i went through the link and found 13.1, it seems much faster than 14.1 they have.
I have Boxee as second box, i have a i3 NUC and ofcourse we cannot compare the two.
find quote
kdnoel Offline
Stick with 13.1 as it is stable and a final release.

Using Tapatalk
find quote
nikicollazo Offline
would installing xbmc on a 500gb western digital usb hard drive be better than just a usb stick or are there people having problems using external hard drives? would like to have the extra space
find quote
kdnoel Offline
(Yesterday 17:00)nikicollazo Wrote:  would installing xbmc on a 500gb western digital usb hard drive be better than just a usb stick or are there people having problems using external hard drives? would like to have the extra space
Stick with the USB stick. Use you drive for movie storage by telling XBMC where to see it. Stick is much faster response for the programs to run on.

Using Tapatalk
find quote