Gotham: XBMC freezes when starting with PVR manager enabled and no PVR addons
Hi all,

I was trying to debug an issue with PVR so I checked out Gotham and attempted to configure PVR, etc. When I enabled the PVR manager I stumbled across a problem.
In CPVRClients::UpdateAddons() there's a line that goes to the add-on manager and queries it for PVR addons. The list comes out empty.

In my case this happened because building from source -> I had no PVR add-ons. Not in my user directory and not in my development XBMC_HOME (I didn't know you have
to build them separately).

In any case, when that happens, a dialog pops-up and says: "No PVR Add-ons could be found...". What also happens is that the code disables the pvr manager by setting
the pvrmanager.enabled property to false which triggers execution of a build-in function that disabled it. The problem is that when XBMC is starting, trying to disabled the
PVR manager while it's still initializing causes deletion of a critical section later used to stop the thread. I guess stopping it while it's initializing isn't working.

Using the critical section causes the entire process to freeze (no scrreen updates, nothing).

So my question is - Are there real-world cases where that dialog can pop-up? Is it feasible at all in a real installation?
If yes - then the code should change not to disable the PVR manager *during* initialization.
If no and it isn't an interesting scenario - maybe remove that code altogether? Take a look at the if clause at PVRClients.cpp:1123.

PS - I just learned today that I have to download the ZIP from opdenkamp and only then I can build those PVR add-ons..
you don't have to download the zip, but you have to also fetch git submodules
Hmm, is there a wiki page that explains how to do that? I haven't been able to find anything about it..
PVR addons are just added as git submodules and to also "download" them you have to initializes and update the submodule ("git submodule init", "git submodule update"). After that, PVR modules should be be ready for build, but there could be platform specific settings/compile flags required to build those along with XBMC.

Check http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Tools-Submodules for more info about submodules
I didn't know about there was a submodule either, I've always cloned the addon repository separately.
Hi,

did you have any luck with this?

The moment I click 'enabled' tv settings, my pc is locking up. Sounds like we have a similar problem. I'm on Gotham, ubuntu 14.04.

Thanks

Nick
Having the same on RPi, Kodi 16.1-RC2 Git:4cf382f, OpenELEC Beta Releases (7.0 beta 2)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham: XBMC freezes when starting with PVR manager enabled and no PVR addons0