Would a NUC DN2820 be enough?
Yes it can, but not with all of the nice interlacing options.

To everyone in this thread: you might want to read the large thread here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=187433
(2014-05-04, 20:33)xbs08 Wrote: Both 10bit Movie and 10bit TV samples played without stutter with an average usage of 80% on CPU0 and CPU1.

Bluray Remux Sample 1 and 2 both played without stutter with an average usage of 25% on CPU0 and CPU1.

All samples had 1 drop frame.

All samples were streamed from a desktop PC running W7 over a 150 Mbps wireless connection.

Hope it helps Smile

Most helpful indeed, thanks again for testing. It's interesting you could stream 1080p over wireless, most say to use a wired connection. In my case I will be using a wired connection.

Curious are you running XBMC on Windows/XBMCbuntu/OpenELEC
(2014-05-04, 21:06)pyrodex Wrote: Can the 2820 do 1080i TV content from mythtv for example? I am looking for cheap HTPCs to replace cable boxes since I use mythtv and HDHR for the entire house.

It can deinterlace mpeg2 nad h264 content. For VC-1 content it has to use software. I searched the other thread for it.
How much more powerful is the I3 version? is it worth the extra price?
It's not an easy "Oh the i3 is xyz faster". It depends on the application but for XBMC use I don't think it's worth it at all.

Generally my motto is this:
"If you don't know why you'd need it chances are you don't."

So unless you have a plan that needs more processing power (using a CPU intensive upscaler for SD content for example), then don't get it.

Edit: If you want to check and see if you care what upscaler you're using to go play an SD video then go to the VideoOSD settings while it's playing from the bottom bar. Then see what video upscaler is default and see which one you like best.
(2014-05-05, 04:14)tential Wrote: It's not an easy "Oh the i3 is xyz faster". It depends on the application but for XBMC use I don't think it's worth it at all.

Generally my motto is this:
"If you don't know why you'd need it chances are you don't."

So unless you have a plan that needs more processing power (using a CPU intensive upscaler for SD content for example), then don't get it.

Edit: If you want to check and see if you care what upscaler you're using to go play an SD video then go to the VideoOSD settings while it's playing from the bottom bar. Then see what video upscaler is default and see which one you like best.

I'm thinking the extra power for some steam games, nothing crazy but for games like Portal 1 and 2 and Sims 3 (for the little ones) do you think the DN2820 can handle it running Win7?
(2014-05-05, 00:02)YellowDog Wrote: Most helpful indeed, thanks again for testing. It's interesting you could stream 1080p over wireless, most say to use a wired connection. In my case I will be using a wired connection.

Curious are you running XBMC on Windows/XBMCbuntu/OpenELEC

OpenELEC nigthly.

Never had much issues with it, rarely buffers with 50MB cache.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
I'm in the same case today: hesitating between the 2820 and i3 one. I would like to do some XBMC of course, but also launch Hyperspin for retrogaming: MME, Sega genesis etc... no recent system (not PS1 for example).
What do you think?
DN2820FYKH should be fine for retro gaming. I can even play a few Steam games (I think it was Guacamelee that I played last). Grab a few wireless 360 controllers, an Xbox 360 wireless controller receiver for PC and you'll have yourself a great little retro gaming machine.
Thanks for your answer. Anyone tried ps1 emulation or Hyperspin? Im' just curious...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Would a NUC DN2820 be enough?0