Req HEVC Codec (x265 Codec)
Hello guys,

since you released RC1 already i would like to ask if there is planned to support HEVC codecs now Smile Got some movies encoded in H265 and they play fine on my system. I already tried it on MEDIAPORTAL and VLC and it plays like a charm Wink
maybe if you had searched the forum you would have found several threads about this.

and no it will not be in Gotham. Only in next major version
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
No not for Gotham v13.

The ffmpeg library we rely on for this type of thing was just bumped to 2.2.1 in our Master code branch, so once Gotham has gone to final release stage the developement nightlies for next version of Helix 14.0 will include HEVC software decoding and the Alphas which follow.
(2014-05-02, 19:59)jjd-uk Wrote: The ffmpeg library we rely on for this type of thing was just bumped to 2.2.1 in our Master code branch

For us ignorant types, does this mean that the current nightlies have FFMPEG 2.2.1? Not that I want to use this primarily, I'm curious to benchmark my A8-3870K for when HEVC becomes more common a year or two from now. Wanna know if I successfully future proofed my XBMC box through the next generation of video codecs. Big Grin
Current nightly builds from XBMC.org are still using the Gotham branch, but will soon switch to the master code branch.
(2014-05-03, 07:05)Ned Scott Wrote: Current nightly builds from XBMC.org are still using the Gotham branch, but will soon switch to the master code branch.

Ah, cool, no hurry. Hmm, would this implementation of HEVC even be multithreaded? It seems that HEVC support would be pretty useless if not multithreaded. :X
I'm can't be 100% but I believe multithreaded support wasn't in the ffmpeg library update but I think it is on the way, may also already be in but if not then it should be soon, that's if I've correctly understood the chatter between the devs who worked on ffmpeg update.
It's already in: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/4618
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Saw that but didn't realise that's what it did Smile So all those who like to be cutting edge of tech advances should be satisfied for now, until the next great thing of course Smile
This all sounds nice, looking forward to benchmarking HEVC in XBMC on a few different CPUs when I can. Smile I wonder where I can get a nice 4K HEVC encode to test out the upper limit.
Helix nightlies will be available starting tomorrow. Use at your own risk
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
When do you start work on H.266?

<ducks>
Hmm, on an A8-3870K 1080p HEVC is running about 30-35% average, sometimes going higher obviously. But it seems 1080p is pretty doable on my main box. Curious about the A6-5400K which is dual core, but since it's XBMCBuntu, it's sorta more picky about just tossing on new versions and it's my roommates, she wouldn't appreciate that.

I can't locate any 4K samples to test in this thing though. Sad
I found some 4K samples and some other resolutions. Obviously this isn't an absolute test since it depends on what settings/profile is used on the encode and how the decoder matures over the years, but anyway: 2560x1440 HEVC: About 80-85% usage. 4K: Slide show. It just AIN'T happening on an A8-3870K as software decoder. But hey, 1080p is fine. Smile
Considering only about 5 people have and can afford 4k screens, this is pretty pointless at the moment, isn't it? (no doubt the morons that run anime groups have a hard-on over this, as it means most people wont be able to play their encodes again.... *sigh*).
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HEVC Codec (x265 Codec)0