Req HEVC Codec (x265 Codec)
Bigger is better, isn't it? I bet the anime guys already looking for an alpha version of the next technology they can bother users with Smile
hi12p
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Fortunately only occasional Hi422P and Hi444PP releases, nothing mainstream Smile
And till now I didn't noticed any H.265 release ... but it'll likely happen sooner or later Laugh
There actually ARE some anime groups doing HEVC but they are in the extreme minority and likely just testing the waters. I've also accidently come across rips of Enders Game and Catching Fire in HEVC that were brought in by Couch Potato. I do have to concede, they look lovely for their file size, but due to CPU demand anything over 1080p doesn't seem practical until GPU support rolls out. Really, there isn't even a SOURCE for most 4K content other than the occasional demo stuff or open source project. It's not like we're going to see ripped DCP (Digital Cinema Packages) any time soon since those move under tight security and have obscure encryption. Maybe Netflix rips in the future? But Netflix 4K is limited only to some 4K smart TVs right now too.
The same was true for hi10p - but the anime folks did not care to stop the ION/ION-2 users of that time from watching :-)

But in comparison to hi10p - hevc really is the future.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-05-15, 16:00)fritsch Wrote: The same was true for hi10p - but the anime folks did not care to stop the ION/ION-2 users of that time from watching :-)

But in comparison to hi10p - hevc really is the future.

Yeah, and everyone is actually interested in HEVC. ISPs, content creators, hardware developers, and I think that we'll soon see HEVC hardware decoding on GPUs. Infact Nvidia has already announced it for their next generation.

Get ready for demands for HEVC GPU decoding. Smile
(2014-05-14, 17:48)Death-Axe Wrote: Considering only about 5 people have and can afford 4k screens, this is pretty pointless at the moment, isn't it? (no doubt the morons that run anime groups have a hard-on over this, as it means most people wont be able to play their encodes again.... *sigh*).

Well how about getting one (or two) of these: Xiaomi's 49-inch Android TV boasts 4K for just $640
3 * Nvidia Shield + Synology NAS DS218+ LG 77CX6LA + Genelec + RasPi/rAudio + Adam T5V + T7V + T10S - ArcoLinux
any update when HEVC will be added to XBMC?
It is in helix.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
functional? or just a planned feature?
Functional.

Edit: but CPU powered of course.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
And multithtreaded. Watching 4K HEVC files here on Helix since months ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I'm very curious about the multithreaded decoding of hevc in helix. How many cores are actually useful? I'm looking to throw together the cheapest pc possible for 1080p hevc playback and I don't know if I should be looking at amd (more cores) or intel (faster but less cores). Thanks!
I bury the needle on all four cores on my A8-3870K as it attempts to do 4K HEVC. I'd say it works pretty well multithreaded.. I just don't have enough horse power. Smile
For 1080p I am not sure it is going to be be that important anyway. (And incidentally I read that there is no particular advantage to HEVC at 1080p).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HEVC Codec (x265 Codec)0