Req HEVC Codec (x265 Codec)
(2014-09-01, 08:05)nickr Wrote: For 1080p I am not sure it is going to be be that important anyway. (And incidentally I read that there is no particular advantage to HEVC at 1080p).
Quote:To begin, Kodi has been updated to use FFmpeg 2.2.4. For users, this means Kodi will now be capable of playing back h.265 (also known as HEVC) and VP9 video codecs. This could result in dramatically smaller video files sizes with exactly the same level of quality. A 40 GB file could be compressed to 20 GB. A 1 GB file could be compressed to 500 MB without any loss in perceivable quality. Users with particularly large libraries or interest in 4K video may be especially likely to appreciate this update.
http://xbmc.org/kodi-14-0-helix-alpha-2/

I would say, with those amounts of compression possible, people would love it for their 1080p material as well.
I have read so much and finding the pages again can be difficult. However the post I was thinking of (not on this forum) referred to testing that showed the advantages of HEVC climbed as frame size increased. i.e. at SD frame sizes the savings were pretty small in percentage terms, at 720p a bit better, at 1080p better again, but it came into it's own at 4K.

The other issue is that of course if you re-encode your existing h.264 material you will lose quality - you cannot increase it. Those who bother with 1080p material (as opposed to, say, 720p) are likely to be interested in quality and are unlikely to tolerate any reduction in quality from re-encoding.

For new material, the ability to encode from, say, bluray quality to HEVC is likely to be attractive. Where we are going to get 4K material from, I just don't know.

However the thought that you can take your existing library and halve its size by encoding to HEVC without any loss of quality is fiction.

I agree it will become the new standard, just as h.264 has. I am certainly glad my 720p/1080p material is not stored as divx. In a few years I'll be glad my hidef material is HEVC. However I won't be converting from h264-->hevc. That would be stupid.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-09-01, 09:53)nickr Wrote: I agree it will become the new standard, just as h.264 has. I am certainly glad my 720p/1080p material is not stored as divx. In a few years I'll be glad my hidef material is HEVC. However I won't be converting from h264-->hevc. That would be stupid.

Agree!

BTW: Still interested to read that document you described.
If i find it, I'll post back here.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I think this is what I was thinking of:

http://vcodex.blogspot.de/2013/04/compar...using.html

Post from comments:
Quote:From our experiments HEVC provides twice bitrate saving starting from 1080. For SD it saves around 15-25%, for 720p - 30-40%. In fact, it hardly depends on the content.

However

1. that doesn't prove my point, in fact it disproves it because he does say that twice bitrate kicks in at 1080. I clearly recalled it wrong.

2. Is from April 2013 so there have undoubtedly been improvements in encoders since then.

So kick my ass then ignore me on that point, although the rest of my post 32 is, IMNSHO, completely correct.
Right now you need pretty powerful hardware to play H.265
If you all want to test for yourself, grab handbrake nightly
encode the same material in H.264 and in H.265 with identical setting
I do all my re encoding with the Regular High profile setting just change RF to 25 and just one audio stream with auto pass through.
you will notice 4 times the encoding time nearly half in size, since it is just the video part what gets compressed more, the audio part stays the same
IMAX@Home on the room sized screen since 1989
For e.g my atom d2550 and 330 both managed to play a 1080p HEVC low/elementary profile without issues (using current Helix code). but when cranking up the profiles then it goes out the window. I would hardly consider any atoms like that powerful hardware, so I guess depends on what the encodes are like.
HEVC gives approximately 50% reduction in bitrate at SD resolution going up to a 64% for 4k material. Wikipedia would have told you that, and a quick google would verify it as true.
...(If you'd been bothered to check before posting to the contrary)

HEVC is the second coming of god, just like H264 was, which incidentally was recognized as such long before bluray and hd dvd encryption was cracked, if you get my drift.

Sorry, I'm sounding all handbags here, I need some carbs, have a nice day Smile

(2014-09-01, 10:45)nickr Wrote: I think this is what I was thinking of:

http://vcodex.blogspot.de/2013/04/compar...using.html

Post from comments:
Quote:From our experiments HEVC provides twice bitrate saving starting from 1080. For SD it saves around 15-25%, for 720p - 30-40%. In fact, it hardly depends on the content.

However

1. that doesn't prove my point, in fact it disproves it because he does say that twice bitrate kicks in at 1080. I clearly recalled it wrong.

2. Is from April 2013 so there have undoubtedly been improvements in encoders since then.

So kick my ass then ignore me on that point, although the rest of my post 32 is, IMNSHO, completely correct.
(2014-09-01, 23:04)robo989 Wrote: HEVC gives approximately 50% reduction in bitrate at SD resolution going up to a 64% for 4k material. Wikipedia would have told you that, and a quick google would verify it as true.
...(If you'd been bothered to check before posting to the contrary)

HEVC is the second coming of god, just like H264 was, which incidentally was recognized as such long before bluray and hd dvd encryption was cracked, if you get my drift.

Sorry, I'm sounding all handbags here, I need some carbs, have a nice day Smile

Yes I shouldn't have based my post on one comment from April 2013 in an online forum, and that on a poor recollection from it! Thanks for pointing that out and the wikipedia article. (Of course I don't believe everything I read on wikipedia, but that article seems well footnoted and refers to the actual research.)

I agree that HEVC is a great codec, just not well supported by hardware yet, and nor is x265 yet in as good a shape as, say, x264.

Now go have your carbs!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HEVC Codec (x265 Codec)0