Win Really Excited + A Couple Questions
I'm really excited to get going with my new setup. After a ton of considering, I finally decided to go with a full HTPC. I bought a NUC, Samsung SSD, 16 GB RAM (I know I won't need anywhere near that, but went ahead and got it anyway in case I ever want to use this system for something else too), Wifi/bluetooth bit (I call it a bit because the thing is tiny...not worth being called a card Smile), mini HDMI to HDMI cable and an extra long network cable. I should have everything here by Tuesday.

So, I should have great performance, I think. I just got the i3 NUC, but from what I am reading, even the Celeron NUCs run great. I am going to be running in on top of Windows, though, so I wanted to be 100% sure. I might change my mind and run openelec. We'll see.

So, a couple things have popped into my mind.

It seems that the "Files" viewing works more how I want it than the Library. However, I have read that the Library will be faster to access. Slow folder navigation is the very reason I decided not to go with a WD TV Live (before I got hooked into XBMC). The folders will be over a network, either Wifi or ethernet (Wifi will be AC speed, though). Is this slow folder access still an issue? Is there anything that can be done to improve it? If not, can I make the library work more like the files section somehow?

One thing that's important to me is that the files update right away as a new download comes in, for example. I see there's a plugin that will automatically update the library, but it only updates in hours. Is there anything that will update in real-time when there's new content or can I set it to scan in minutes? I don't wan to have to wait or go into settings to trigger a manual update if I end up using the library. If I use the "Files" section, it will always have new content and deleted content removed, I think...because that's reading the share directly, right?

Lastly, where does XBMC store anything it downloads/saves, such as thumbnails, meta-data, etc.? Can that be changed?

Thanks much again in advance. Appreciated. Smile
There are addons that will detect new files and update your library.

Xbmc is designed to use the library, so that's the place to start.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-05-04, 03:45)mystik Wrote: Lastly, where does XBMC store anything it downloads/saves, such as thumbnails, meta-data, etc.? Can that be changed?

It's stored in one of two locations, depending on if you run XBMC in portable mode (via the -p command line argument) or not:

default, non-portable mode: %appdata%\XBMC\userdata\
portable mode: <xbmc install directory>\portable_data\userdata\
(2014-05-04, 04:42)nickr Wrote: There are addons that will detect new files and update your library.

Xbmc is designed to use the library, so that's the place to start.

Do you happen to remember the name of them? Is there somewhere else I need to be looking other than the built-in plugins displayed as options? I did look through there and only saw the one.

I will give it another try. Is there a way I can make it work similarly to the Files view?

(2014-05-04, 07:18)sialivi Wrote:
(2014-05-04, 03:45)mystik Wrote: Lastly, where does XBMC store anything it downloads/saves, such as thumbnails, meta-data, etc.? Can that be changed?

It's stored in one of two locations, depending on if you run XBMC in portable mode (via the -p command line argument) or not:

default, non-portable mode: %appdata%\XBMC\userdata\
portable mode: <xbmc install directory>\portable_data\userdata\

Excellent! Thank you. Very good to know about the -p switch. I'll be sure to use that when I install on the system I'll be using.
The automatic updater is called watchdog - man that took me a while to find for you!

http://addons.xbmc.org/show/service.watchdog/

Don't use -p unless you need to - and you don't need to.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thank you. I appreciate the info.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Really Excited + A Couple Questions0