• 2(current)
XBMC ATV2 shuts down when starting video playback
(2014-05-06, 21:29)atv2jber Wrote: Why haven't any of you guys posted the MediaInfo details of the HD file you want to play. Maybe it's not possible on the ATV2. There are limitations.

Just my 2 cents.

I would have to post Mediainfo for every HD file I have as not a single one of them would play whereas they all used to.
Just post one or two examples.

We do believe you guys that this actually is happening, but if we're not able to reproduce the situation then we need to see the data that you see :)
I have the same issue. Not able to play any HD 720p mkv files anymore. For example the latest episode of The Simpsons. SD works fine. It used to work perfectly in the alphas and betas of Gotham, and broke somewhere along the rc's.
Could you click for my other posts. I posted just about the same time as this original post with details of the file I am failing at. Now I am failing worse I believe, almost all my HD files cause respiring .

"The files have some common traits:
Large as in 2.4Gb
MP4/h264 - High - avc1 - 2hours16mins10 seconds long.
Actually looking - they are 1280 by 544, frame rate says 23.98 fps, with 2190 kb/s.

The audio is aac, mp4a, 383 kb/s, 48000hz, 6 channels."

Any thoughts on if I went to NFS shares ? I've been reading that sometimes this will ease the video transfer.
Home built Solaris 11.1 server, ZFS 4 x 3Tb pool, RAIDZ to 9Tb space.
NFS & SMB shares.
Asrock E350M1 mob with 8G RAM running KODI from a 16G USB stick

HDMI -> Yamaha 5.1 -> 60" Sharp LCD -
AR XSight Color Remote

Happy Wife. Nearly.
(2014-05-06, 21:29)atv2jber Wrote:
(2014-05-06, 18:10)rips4u Wrote: I am too in the same boat. I had this problem occasionally while I was on Frodo. Updated to Gotham with a hope that this would get resolved but as other have noted, HD video is almost unplayable on Gotham. Played with Video settings for almost 2 hrs with no luck. Also, deleted almost all type of cache on my ATV2 thinking that low memory could be causing this. I was going to remove and re-installed xbmc tonight but then I stumbled upon this thread and seems like re-installing does not help either.
Any resolution on this so far? Has this been reported to the dev team?

Why haven't any of you guys posted the MediaInfo details of the HD file you want to play. Maybe it's not possible on the ATV2. There are limitations.

Just my 2 cents.

To answer your point: this happens every time I try to play the Big Bang theory season 7 episode 21. It's not the question of whether it is not possible in atv2 as I have playing/streaming 720p videos flawlessly in xbmc.
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=195206

Not sure if that's the proper method to share log files, but here it is anyway. Scroll down for the contents of the media file, from a program called Media-Info ...

It doesn't even try to play anymore. HD video causes immediate respring.

Also that is the media-info from the file that caused this instance of fail.
Home built Solaris 11.1 server, ZFS 4 x 3Tb pool, RAIDZ to 9Tb space.
NFS & SMB shares.
Asrock E350M1 mob with 8G RAM running KODI from a 16G USB stick

HDMI -> Yamaha 5.1 -> 60" Sharp LCD -
AR XSight Color Remote

Happy Wife. Nearly.
Wink 
(2014-05-06, 22:57)Ned Scott Wrote: Just post one or two examples.

We do believe you guys that this actually is happening, but if we're not able to reproduce the situation then we need to see the data that you see Smile

I have links to two debug logs as well back in earlier posts. One with 13.0 and another with 13.0-1. I would think those would be a lot more helpful than these mediainfo files. But then again, i'm the one asking for help, not giving it, so i'll shut up now. Wink

Here are a few Mediainfo examples of HD videos that won't play:

Mediainfo1

Mediainfo2

Mediainfo3
I have this issue as well as not having audio. I don't hear menu clicks or audio from files when I try to play them. The audio issue happens about 50% of the time. I need to restart XBMC to get it back. I am not home but will upload logs later.
Against the crashes (which are related to the 256mb ram of the atv2 which makes more and more problems as XBMC gets developed further) - please try to adjust your view in confluence to "list" before trying to playback your hd content - also after entering the list let xbmc settle for about 15 seconds before trying to start playback. Does this help for you?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I will try that tonight, thanks. How do I adjust the view to "list"? Thanks...
Same here on my ATV2 with Gotham stable version! I do NOT use Mysql for the library, I stream from a hardwire connected fast and new Synology DS214+ via the NFS protocol. I'm trying to keep it fast and simple, no unnecessary Add-ons. I use the Amber skin which seems responsive and nice.

It quite often crashes when I start a Movie or an episode of a TV Show. Seldom during playback. It is most unstable after the ATV2 has been running for a while. A freshly rebooted ATV2 almost always handles it OK. However, trying to fetch a Subtitle is a sure way to crash it, and it also takes ages....!!

Help! Confused
The Real Skimshady
Just to make it easier for those hard-working guys trying to troubleshoot this problem I followed the instructions to report a problem (“Things we want for every report”). See my previous posts.

Platform:Apple TV2 (Black)
Version of iOS/ATV: 5.3 (6105)
XBMC Buils and date: XBMC 13.0 Git:20140505-a394e15 (complied: May 2014)
Install Method: Just did a complete uninstall; removed XBMC and Userfiles folder, and reinstalled Gotham 13.0-1 today via apt-get as by instructions on XBMC.ORG HOW-TO. Used official XBMC.ORG sources.
Skin and add-ons: Confluence, only Icefilms installed

Problem description: User interface works just fine. Crashes to springboard seconds after start of streaming. Sometimes it will manage to stream a few minutes, but then crashes while downloading (Dutch) subtitles. The film I use to test is “Dirty
Dancing (1987) HD from Icefilm repository, using Movreel as source.

However, I tried to upload the logs which I have available, but the XBMC pastebin gives me a "Your paste contains a phrase that has been censored" error, and pastebin.com doesn't show any logs, although I was logged in and did a succesfull past. Pfffff.. :-( Any clues on how to upload my logfiles (anywhere would be welcome :-(
(2014-05-07, 20:02)Memphiz Wrote: Against the crashes (which are related to the 256mb ram of the atv2 which makes more and more problems as XBMC gets developed further) - please try to adjust your view in confluence to "list" before trying to playback your hd content - also after entering the list let xbmc settle for about 15 seconds before trying to start playback. Does this help for you?

I am currently using Metropolis. Is that a better or worse option than confluence? I can cycle through a few different skins this evening to see if it makes any difference and I will report back.
(2014-05-07, 22:06)Bertbig Wrote: However, I tried to upload the logs which I have available, but the XBMC pastebin gives me a "Your paste contains a phrase that has been censored" error, and pastebin.com doesn't show any logs, although I was logged in and did a succesfull past. Pfffff.. :-( Any clues on how to upload my logfiles (anywhere would be welcome :-(

Just guessing but I'm betting it's Icefilms that's keeping your logs from uploading.
(2014-05-07, 22:29)Racerx2oo3 Wrote: Just guessing but I'm betting it's Icefilms that's keeping your logs from uploading.

Do I have to delete the word "Icefilms" from the text to be pasted?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC ATV2 shuts down when starting video playback2