• 3(current)
XBMC ATV2 shuts down when starting video playback
(2014-05-07, 20:16)bthusby Wrote: Same here on my ATV2 with Gotham stable version! I do NOT use Mysql for the library, I stream from a hardwire connected fast and new Synology DS214+ via the NFS protocol. I'm trying to keep it fast and simple, no unnecessary Add-ons. I use the Amber skin which seems responsive and nice.

It quite often crashes when I start a Movie or an episode of a TV Show. Seldom during playback. It is most unstable after the ATV2 has been running for a while. A freshly rebooted ATV2 almost always handles it OK. However, trying to fetch a Subtitle is a sure way to crash it, and it also takes ages....!!

Help! Confused

same here, specially with subtitles, either downloading them or just having a subtitle next to the file, after reboot it works fine for a while and then it crashes again, in my case i use Confluance as a skin and connected using SMB, but tried with NFS and it was the same
(2014-05-07, 20:02)Memphiz Wrote: Against the crashes (which are related to the 256mb ram of the atv2 which makes more and more problems as XBMC gets developed further) - please try to adjust your view in confluence to "list" before trying to playback your hd content - also after entering the list let xbmc settle for about 15 seconds before trying to start playback. Does this help for you?

I have switched back from Metropolis skin to Confluence and the good news is my 100% failure rate on HD videos has been reduced. I can now play HD videos nearly 100% of the time only after a fresh start of XBMC. Once the unit sits idle for a while and I try playing again, a crash will almost certainly ensue. I don't really run any addons so i'm not sure what else I can do on my end to improve my odds.

Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming. I'd love a full solution to this other than replacing my Apple TV's.
Starting to think of jumping ship to a different player. XBMC will remain of course, but the ATV may go for a ride.
Home built Solaris 11.1 server, ZFS 4 x 3Tb pool, RAIDZ to 9Tb space.
NFS & SMB shares.
Asrock E350M1 mob with 8G RAM running KODI from a 16G USB stick

HDMI -> Yamaha 5.1 -> 60" Sharp LCD -
AR XSight Color Remote

Happy Wife. Nearly.
(2014-05-07, 20:02)Memphiz Wrote: Against the crashes (which are related to the 256mb ram of the atv2 which makes more and more problems as XBMC gets developed further) - please try to adjust your view in confluence to "list" before trying to playback your hd content - also after entering the list let xbmc settle for about 15 seconds before trying to start playback. Does this help for you?

i tried all your suggestions and it still crashes, the funny thing is one episode in the same series works, but another crashes and it seems like it's getting worse.... anyway to get an old version of XBMC? cause it did not used to be like that, it would crash once a week or less, but now it's all the time...

thanks
Older releases can be found in nightlies and snapshots:

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/darwin/atv2/
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/snapshots/darwin/atv2/

I tried the third-from-bottom nightly (dated april 5) but that didn't help. Will try alpha 11 from snapshots tonight. I'm sure that all alpha and beta versions worked fine on my ATV2.
I'm sort of glad I'm not the only one ...

This has been happening to me since the second last beta.

It usually happens if the ATV2 has been idle for a while, but will also sometimes happen when starting a new video right after watching another.

I can categorically state that this is not related to the particular video that is being played for the following reasons:

1. This is happening for movies/TV shows that my kids have previously watched many, many times, and
2. After restarting XBMC, I can usually get the file to play although sometimes it takes more than 1 restart.

I am using the metropolis interface it that helps.

Here's the log file from the point where I hit play to the crash:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=196144

I am using a mySQL database and I use NFS connection to my NAS.
I can say that this is not a Gotham only related problem. I have had the exact same issue since frodo 12.3 and by using the default confluence skin. It happens almost every day the first time I use xbmc, usually after at least 15 hours of inactivity.
I haven't upgraded yet to Gotham.
(2014-05-08, 20:35)ithaki Wrote: I can say that this is not a Gotham only related problem. I have had the exact same issue since frodo 12.3 and by using the default confluence skin. It happens almost every day the first time I use xbmc, usually after at least 15 hours of inactivity.

When you are done watching TV, do you just stay in XBMC and turn off your TV or do you drop back to frontrow first?
(2014-05-08, 20:58)atv2jber Wrote: When you are done watching TV, do you just stay in XBMC and turn off your TV or do you drop back to frontrow first?

I have a similar issue with 12.3 and I turn off the TV and stay in XBMC, although about 98% of the time the system will crash overnight back to frontrow.
(2014-05-08, 21:31)Racerx2oo3 Wrote:
(2014-05-08, 20:58)atv2jber Wrote: When you are done watching TV, do you just stay in XBMC and turn off your TV or do you drop back to frontrow first?

I have a similar issue with 12.3 and I turn off the TV and stay in XBMC, although about 98% of the time the system will crash overnight back to frontrow.

Sounds like a memory leak. I wonder if the superstar devs can use the logs available on the ATV and XBMC to pinpoint the issue.
Is there a Gotham 13.1 for ATV2? I saw it mentioned earlier in this thread, but i havent been able to find it, when i follow the wiki install instructions via ssh it says there is no update.
i'm actually at point where i'm thinking of going back to 11.x as that version was working so much better, though it would suck to lose all the cool new features....
(2014-05-08, 20:58)atv2jber Wrote:
(2014-05-08, 20:35)ithaki Wrote: I can say that this is not a Gotham only related problem. I have had the exact same issue since frodo 12.3 and by using the default confluence skin. It happens almost every day the first time I use xbmc, usually after at least 15 hours of inactivity.

When you are done watching TV, do you just stay in XBMC and turn off your TV or do you drop back to frontrow first?

I stay in xbmc and just turn off the tv. The next day xbmc appears to run smoothly throughout the menu and just boots back to frontrow when I start to play a video.
It's probably an add-on that is leaking memory. In any case, why not just have XBMC automatically exit back to front row when you are not using it?

XBMC -> Settings -> System -> Power saving ->

Shutdown function timer: set it to an hour or so
Shutdown function: set it to "Quit"

When ever you want to use XBMC, bam, fresh run.
(2014-05-09, 00:16)Ned Scott Wrote: It's probably an add-on that is leaking memory. In any case, why not just have XBMC automatically exit back to front row when you are not using it?

XBMC -> Settings -> System -> Power saving ->

Shutdown function timer: set it to an hour or so
Shutdown function: set it to "Quit"

When ever you want to use XBMC, bam, fresh run.

I have the same issue and don't have any addons running. It only has to sit idle for 15 minutes before it will crash on playback, not overnight. It is extremely annoying to have to re-fire up XBMC and navigate back through the menu's to get where you want to be. Not really a solution. I think those of us with the issues just want things working the way they used to be...rock solid on the ATV2 like the Eden days. If Gotham has bloated to the point to where this is not possible, what can we disable within XBMC to free up resources and get things working again. I don't use any live TV or fancy plugins so i'm wiling to sacrifice to get some stability back.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC ATV2 shuts down when starting video playback2