• 4(current)
XBMC ATV2 shuts down when starting video playback
Just 15 minutes? Huh. I did a bunch of tests today on my ATV2 with Gotham, trying to get it to crash. I figured this was only happening after several hours. I haven't had any issues so far except one time I got some odd stuttering video, but stopping and starting fixed that and it didn't happen again. I'll keep trying to make it crash.
(2014-05-09, 01:04)Ned Scott Wrote: Just 15 minutes? Huh. I did a bunch of tests today on my ATV2 with Gotham, trying to get it to crash. I figured this was only happening after several hours. I haven't had any issues so far except one time I got some odd stuttering video, but stopping and starting fixed that and it didn't happen again. I'll keep trying to make it crash.

I think the moral of the story is the "crash after idle" isn't the only issue. I can be watching a show successfully, then moving directly to another show (or movie) and it will crash. So the 15 minute crash may be unrelated to the idle although crashing after being idle for hours at a time is nearly guaranteed.
(2014-05-09, 01:11)2TallKnowItAll Wrote:
(2014-05-09, 01:04)Ned Scott Wrote: Just 15 minutes? Huh. I did a bunch of tests today on my ATV2 with Gotham, trying to get it to crash. I figured this was only happening after several hours. I haven't had any issues so far except one time I got some odd stuttering video, but stopping and starting fixed that and it didn't happen again. I'll keep trying to make it crash.

I think the moral of the story is the "crash after idle" isn't the only issue. I can be watching a show successfully, then moving directly to another show (or movie) and it will crash. So the 15 minute crash may be unrelated to the idle although crashing after being idle for hours at a time is nearly guaranteed.

This is exactly what happened to me last night. Although I can also guarantee that it will crash after trying to watch any video after XBMC has been left idle overnight.

I don't know if it helps the devs to pinpoint the cause, but I can also categorically state that in my case this only started happening in the second last Beta (can't remember the number, but it was the beta before the beta before the RC).
(2014-05-09, 01:11)2TallKnowItAll Wrote:

are you using subtitles by any chance?
Hi again, Smile

- Subtitles in Gotham with ATV2 practically just don't work anymore, it takes too long to load the Subtitle list, and when you choose the Subtitle you like...*bang* it reboots!

- I sorely miss the "Automatic download first sync'ed subtitle", which just worked in the background when you started the Video. Now it is confusing and it requires repetitive and annoying actions every time Sad

- The Unstability presents itself most often, as mentioned, when downloading Subtitles, and just when starting any Video after a long time being idle. Sometimes it even crash by itself during the night when idle.

- By the way, the Gotham 13.0.1 update, released the other night, seems to have improved the situation, especially when starting videos! Big Grin But still a little unstable.....

PS: I use the lightweight and beautiful Amber Skin Wink

Seems like a lot of people are experiencing the same problems here Smile
The Real Skimshady
(2014-05-09, 02:38)AndrewWOz Wrote: I don't know if it helps the devs to pinpoint the cause, but I can also categorically state that in my case this only started happening in the second last Beta (can't remember the number, but it was the beta before the beta before the RC).

We had b1, b2, b3, b4 and then rc1.

So could you install http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/pre-release/...os-arm.deb (which is beta2) and confirm that the issues are not present in there? (this is to all people experiencing the problems here!)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-05-09, 15:22)Memphiz Wrote: We had b1, b2, b3, b4 and then rc1.

So could you install http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/pre-release/...os-arm.deb (which is beta2) and confirm that the issues are not present in there? (this is to all people experiencing the problems here!)

I recall this being an issue in any beta version of Gotham, but I will start chasing it backwards as I have time this weekend to see if I can nail down when it all started.
(2014-05-09, 15:22)Memphiz Wrote:
(2014-05-09, 02:38)AndrewWOz Wrote: I don't know if it helps the devs to pinpoint the cause, but I can also categorically state that in my case this only started happening in the second last Beta (can't remember the number, but it was the beta before the beta before the RC).

We had b1, b2, b3, b4 and then rc1.

i've had it since Frodo... Eden was the last stable release for me....
I've now been watching various videos on my ATV2 for at least 8 hours (it's been a lazy day). Some HD, some SD, some with subtitles, some with different types of audio tracks. I've paused one video for half an hour while on the phone and resumed it without issue. I've let XBMC idle between some videos for about half an hour as well. So far I haven't had any crashes, stutters, or hickups. I haven't had to exit XBMC or restart anything. If anything, this is the responsive and stable that I've seen XBMC behave on the ATV2.

I'm connected directly to a TV with no special audio equipment. All videos have been streaming over SMB from a local file server.

*shrug*
(2014-05-09, 14:14)bthusby Wrote: Hi again, :)

- Subtitles in Gotham with ATV2 practically just don't work anymore, it takes too long to load the Subtitle list, and when you choose the Subtitle you like...*bang* it reboots!

- I sorely miss the "Automatic download first sync'ed subtitle", which just worked in the background when you started the Video. Now it is confusing and it requires repetitive and annoying actions every time :(

- The Unstability presents itself most often, as mentioned, when downloading Subtitles, and just when starting any Video after a long time being idle. Sometimes it even crash by itself during the night when idle.

- By the way, the Gotham 13.0.1 update, released the other night, seems to have improved the situation, especially when starting videos! :D But still a little unstable.....

PS: I use the lightweight and beautiful Amber Skin ;)

Seems like a lot of people are experiencing the same problems here :)

I am one of the people experiencing just the same problems:(((( I am very, very sad that this is happening to the great XBMC hardware platform ATV2. Why? Why is this happening? After so many betas, RCs? I can't update to 13.0.1 also. It reports, xbmc is up to date! I will follow this forum, hopeing that there is solution on the way. Until that I am stuck with android based platform, which works without any issues, but it is uncomperable with ATV2:((.
(2014-05-10, 09:14)Ned Scott Wrote: I've now been watching various videos on my ATV2 for at least 8 hours (it's been a lazy day). Some HD, some SD, some with subtitles, some with different types of audio tracks. I've paused one video for half an hour while on the phone and resumed it without issue. I've let XBMC idle between some videos for about half an hour as well. So far I haven't had any crashes, stutters, or hickups. I haven't had to exit XBMC or restart anything. If anything, this is the responsive and stable that I've seen XBMC behave on the ATV2.

I'm connected directly to a TV with no special audio equipment. All videos have been streaming over SMB from a local file server.

*shrug*

Hi,

I'm on Frodo 12.3. After watching tv shows last night, I left the ATV2 in XBMC. Normally I exit back to front row. This morning when I turned on the TV to play some kids shows, the ATV had fallen back into frontrow. I'm assuming because XBMC crashed. I'll do the same experiment tonight with Frodo 12.2. I have a tonne of addon install which might skew the issue. I'll also try install with fresh JB, Frodo 12.3, no content and just see if XBMC crashes with that setup.

Regards.
I believe there are two different problems discussed on this tread. One, where people who have left their xbmc running overnight get a crash to frontrow when trying to play a video the next day. Two, where people leave their xbmc running overnight and find it back to frontrow in the morning. Maybe those two are not related problems.
(2014-05-10, 17:02)ithaki Wrote: I believe there are two different problems discussed on this tread. One, where people who have left their xbmc running overnight get a crash to frontrow when trying to play a video the next day. Two, where people leave their xbmc running overnight and find it back to frontrow in the morning. Maybe those two are not related problems.

I think they are the same issue. My ATV2 normally crashes back to frontrow overnight...however if it doesn't and I try to play a video it will immediately crash. I captured a log, and will upload it with details.

The strange thing is that I've stopped getting crash logs in /var/mobile/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Retired
HI entered
apt-get install wget
and got
wget is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded

Also tried :
apt-get update
and got :
GPG error: http://nitosoft.com Release: The following signatures were invalid: KEYEXPIRED 1387237030 KEYEXPIRED 1387237030 KEYEXPIRED 1387237030

I\m pretty sure I installed Gotham on May 5th and it's showing as version 13 inside XBMC

Am I doing something wrong?
I'd love to see how much 13.1 improves things.
(2014-05-10, 17:50)Racerx2oo3 Wrote: I think they are the same issue. My ATV2 normally crashes back to frontrow overnight...however if it doesn't and I try to play a video it will immediately crash. I captured a log, and will upload it with details.

The strange thing is that I've stopped getting crash logs in /var/mobile/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Retired

syslog: http://pastebin.com/pcvXE4sw
XBMC Log: http://pastebin.com/WdSEqq9X
XBMC Log: http://pastebin.com/ApQq4ysv

ATV2 running Frodo 12.3
Originally installed Eden via Nito. Updated to Frodo via apt-get
Connected via WIFI
Connecting to SMB shares on Windows system.
I've tried reducing number of add-ons installed.
Running Amber Skin
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC ATV2 shuts down when starting video playback2