• 8(current)
XBMC ATV2 shuts down when starting video playback
It's less that those add-ons break the forum rules and more that those add-ons are sources of crashes themselves, especially on the ATV2 due to low memory crashes.

My apologies for flying off the handle there.
OK, I bit the bullet and went hardcore to try and track down this problem. To be honest it is so bad now that my wife is complaining and that is never a good thing!

ATV2, ethernet connection to NAS sharing via NFS. Using mysql for database sharing.
I uninstalled xbmc as per the instructions in the wiki, including removing the /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC directory.
Reinstalled gotham via command line.
Started Gotham, then quit
copied advancedsettings.xml and sources.xml to the userdata directory.
Updated to Gothan 13.1 Beta 2 via command line.
This should have given me a brand new, untouched install without any extra mods or setting changes.
Started xbmc.
Tried to watch lastest Big Bang Theory episode ... instant crash back to dashboard

Log - http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=205027

I didn't have debug enabled, I will get another log with debug on.

Hate to labour the point, but that same error is there as the last line in the log again, just like every other time this has happened to me, but then I guess it could be a red herring.
also provide the crashlog please on pastebin.com
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-05-19, 08:19)Martijn Wrote: also provide the crashlog please on pastebin.com

I cleaned out my crashlog directory as they were all dated 1970 ... funnily enough I've now restarted xbmc quite a few times and every file I've tried to play has started perfectly without a sign of a crash. Will monitor and report back if the crash happens again.
Maybe the device was out of space/memory
(2014-05-19, 09:21)Martijn Wrote: Maybe the device was out of space/memory

My memory hovers around 50% (120 Mb free).
"Disc" space is 70% free on one partition and 25% free on the other.
Its resource exhaustion and i guess its the GPU memory which kills us. Its nothing you can catch via top or any other process state program as it all happens in a couple of ms and its just a heisenberg problem for not beeing able to see the huge memory increase.

I guess something has snuck in when the renderer cache/queue was added but as i am not able to reproduce it on my atv2 and the atv2 is also the worst device to debug anything on (becuse you can't with any debug tools) - this will either be solved by accident at one point (which might last a long time) - or it might not be solved at all.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-05-19, 10:27)Memphiz Wrote: Its resource exhaustion and i guess its the GPU memory which kills us. Its nothing you can catch via top or any other process state program as it all happens in a couple of ms and its just a heisenberg problem for not beeing able to see the huge memory increase.

I guess something has snuck in when the renderer cache/queue was added but as i am not able to reproduce it on my atv2 and the atv2 is also the worst device to debug anything on (becuse you can't with any debug tools) - this will either be solved by accident at one point (which might last a long time) - or it might not be solved at all.

Meaning? Better to revert to Frodo when using XBMC on ATV2?
(2014-05-19, 16:52)Bertbig Wrote:
(2014-05-19, 10:27)Memphiz Wrote: Its resource exhaustion and i guess its the GPU memory which kills us. Its nothing you can catch via top or any other process state program as it all happens in a couple of ms and its just a heisenberg problem for not beeing able to see the huge memory increase.

Meaning? Better to revert to Frodo when using XBMC on ATV2?

Maybe... I have the exact same issue on Frodo 12.3, the last version that was stable for me was Eden. I've never installed Gotham, and at this point probably won't as it sounds like there is the potential to make my existing problems worse. I guess at this point I'm going to wait and see if anything interesting comes out of Google I/O
Happy to report that so far apart from the initial crash I have not had a single problem after doing the doing the complete reinstall. And that includes an overnight idle period that would have guaranteed a crash previously.
For me, the ATV2 has been way more stable on Gotham than it ever was on Frodo.
OK, I'm running debug mode all the time now, and waiting for the next crash.....

It has been remarkably stable now since I turned on debugging mode Tongue
The Real Skimshady
At last..... Big Grin

It crashed during playback of a video!

Here is the log with debug turned on for the last half-hour up until the crash:
http://pastebin.com/AtpyPqib

Does this make sense? Huh
The Real Skimshady
need the crashlog