Do I need additional box as a media center?
Hi there people,

I need some advice about a media center solution for me and my family.

We purchased a UHD TV from Samsung. It's the UE55HU7580T or UE55HU7500 (depends on your country, see http://www.samsung.com/ch/consumer/tv-au...HU7580TXZG). This TV is able to stream media from a DLNA and UPNP server (which I have in my router).

Until now I had a much cheaper Samsung TV and a VU+ Ultimo box for TV (including recording via second tuner) and video files.

Now I am hoping to get rid of the VU+ Ultimo box for the following reasons.

- too much customizing to get a user friendly look and feel and some apps not user friendly at all
- you have to flash one of the custom images to get functionality
- the skins are mostly from the 80s, or maybe 90s except for just MyMetrix which gets too little love from its creator
- yet another box standing there and collecting dust
- not as stable as I would wish it to be for TV

My requirements for a media center are mainly
... watching and recording TV and
... using just one remote control for everything and
... not hearing the box at all (fan-less design for the win) and
... using some kind of a video on demand service like Netflix (I have no idea what's available in Switzerland currently) and
... have a great media center for playing all kinds of video, image and audio files from the hard drive or a NAS server (which I may buy in future).

Do you think that I still need a media center like XBMC considering that my TV has a built in media center? What hardware would you suggest (the limit is USD1000)?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Do I need additional box as a media center?0