External M3U Music Playlists Not Scanning Into XBMC - Bug?
Hi all,

Longtime user here. I just upgraded from Frodo (Aeon Nox 4) to Gotham 13.0 (Aeon Nox 5), and am having a problem with externally-created M3U music playlists. My M3U playlists are originally created by J River Media Center, and saved in the appropriate XBMC userdata folder. In Frodo, when I accessed one of these playlists, XBMC would "scan" the songs into the library and everything was fine. In Gotham, when I open one of these playlists, XBMC does not scan the contents (no cover art, fanart, tag info), and when I click on one of the tracks in the playlist I eventually get an error: "one or more items failed to play". The paths in the playlists are relative, not absolute, so that is not the problem. In fact, when I go to "Info" of one of the tracks in the playlist, XBMC shows the correct relative path.

I thought maybe this was a problem with Aeon Nox 5, but I also have the same issue using Confluence.

Bug?
Bumpity, bump. Can someone test external M3U playlists in XBMC and let me know if they have this same issue?
I tried to test this on a different computer today, and I am having the same problem.

Should I repost this in the General Help and Support forum instead of Windows? I am unsure if this problem is Windows-specific.
Further info and testing: If I access one of the external M3U playlists in XBMC, open the XBMC playlist editor, add a new track, and save it, this track can be played by XBMC. But not the others in the playlist.

When I open the M3U file in notepad, I can see that the externally-added tracks have a different filepath format than the 1 that XBMC added:

Externally-added tracks:
Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:565,So What - Miles Davis
\\SERVER\Music\Library\Miles Davis\Kind of Blue\So What.mp3
#EXTINF:358,'Round Midnight - Miles Davis
\\SERVER\Music\Library\Miles Davis\'Round About Midnight\'Round Midnight.mp3
#EXTINF:337,Blue in Green - Miles Davis
\\SERVER\Music\Library\Miles Davis\Kind of Blue\Blue in Green.mp3

XBMC-added track:
Code:
#EXTINF:05. Freddie Freeloader - Miles Davis
smb://SERVER/Music/Library/Miles Davis/Kind of Blue/Freddie Freeloader.mp3

If I then manually edit (in notepad) one of the externally-added tracks to the format of "smb://SERVER" instead of "\\SERVER\", XBMC is able to process it properly.

This playlist worked fine in Frodo, so has the format requirement for an M3U playlist changed now to require "smb://"?

My playlists are generated by J River Media Center, which is unable to produce this format.

Any help would be appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
External M3U Music Playlists Not Scanning Into XBMC - Bug?0