OS X 2009 mini+xbmc 13 upgrade to mavericks?
now that gotham is official (three cheers!) i am considering an upgrade to mavericks.
is it worth it? are you happy you did?

10.8.5 + gotham is currently running smooth, fast-ish and stabile.

this is our only computer used for xbmc and everything else. a new one is a year or more away.
i would keep things as they are but do not want to get left behind.

current system:
late 2009 mac mini, 8 gigs ram, osx 10.8.5, 2x2T drives, xbmc 13, metropolis 2.8, aeon nox 5, eyetvHD/eyetv parser, iphone as remote.

do you like gotham with mavericks? any recommendations?

long live xbmc! Smile

thanks

p.s. i read through the posts and that is why i would like an up to date perspective.
DON'T update to mavericks. You will regret it.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
wow! are things really that bad?

i remember the good old days when an update was an upgrade and an improvement.
I have the same question, why would you advise against upgrading?
Mavericks isn't horrible, but you're not missing much by staying on 10.8. I haven't updated to it yet because of some of the retarded things Apple removed, like how they basically killed QuickTime's ability to convert and open files/previews easily (now it triggers a full re-encode if it isn't an apple friendly video file!).

I've yet to come across any software that has required me to be on 10.9. Obviously, various XBMC issues also have popped up in 10.9. It's livable, and some people might like the trade off with some of the new OS features, but I wouldn't do it just yet.
I concur. Mavericks is not terrible but it acts up more than is convenient. If this is your main computer especially the multiple ways Mail refuses to behave will probably cause you headaches.
And as Ned says you only really miss out on anything by staying on ML if you use multiple monitors.
I thought we are talking about XBMC here. In conjunction of XBMC based on the reports of users here in the forum - i can only advice to not upgrade to mavericks. There are unresolved issues with XBMC which are not present in any older osx releases and they are not reproducable for us but are related to mavericks (as of the users who downgraded and reported back that those issues vanished at the same time).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
well that clears that up!

the only software i use that an update uses mavericks is pixelmator.
it is not worth it if it causes xbmc to fail or have problems.

thanks much for all the replies. the other insights aside from xbmc specifically, have been of help also due to the fact that i use this mac for everything else.

glad i asked

thanks
I don't recommend an update until Apple fixes Mavericks audio issues (just check Apple's own board to see many issues). They are testing audio fixes for the upcoming 10.9.3 update. I'd, at the least, wait for the outcome of this update.
thanks for the info.
looks like i will not be going mavericky and time soon. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2009 mini+xbmc 13 upgrade to mavericks?0