It's been one year
How time flies. Been using XBMC for a whole year. The improvements have been awesome. It has to be one of the greatest finds I have ever made when it comes to TV and movies. It all started because I could not find a decent US network to watch motorcycle racing.Ended up on a Ducati forum in the UK and someone one had a link to XBMC. I have been hooked every since. I am not very educated when it comes to using computers but I keep on learning and I just try things to see if they work. I have not tried to install Gotham yet. That will be my new hurdle. Big Grin Thanks to all who make this possible.
We all are humbled by the efforts of the many donors, contributors and developers, it's software that makes owning hardware a delight and acknowledgement that humans are capable of better things.
Smile
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Hmm, little over three years for me now. It started as an Athlon 64 3200+ built from old parts, that kept going for about a year until I gave in and built a whole new box for it. A6-3500 system. Of course then FM1 reached End Of Life status from AMD quickly and I upgraded to an A8-3870K for cheap on boxing day. I kept adding HDDs. I added Steam to it, later Steam Launcher drastically improved my experiences with it. This fall it inherited a Radeon HD 6850 from my workstation to make it even better. It started at 2TB and now has 17TB in it. No regrets for the box. Smile
Ten years tenure here, starting in 2004 with XBMP on the old Xbox. On an AsRock Vision HTPC now. It has been awesome all the way. Love tinkering with it, love showing it off, love the love it gets from guests.

Now that's a lot of love.
9 years here. with a 2 year boxee lapse, i call those the lost years.
firmly back on track, and as usual massive thanks to those that make it happen!
Interesting ,I would never have thought that it went back as far as ten years. I am such a dummy.
If this is the thread to thank all that make xbmc possible, then count me in.
Same with me, 2004 on my Xbox and moved on from there. Wow and you guys continue to do such an amazing job. My hat is off to you and thank you for the hard work and dedication. I have a few NUCs around the house, some on OpenELEC others on Win 8.1. XBMC is the only way I consume my media: music, tv, movies and live tv. Congrats, truly a best of breed app (by a long way!)
I see nothing wrong with using this thread for a big thank you to all the people who make XBMC possible.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!
I never owned the original Xbox, but I was sharing a house with some others back in 2004 who did. DIdn't know what XBMP was at the time, though I'm assuming that was the media center we used on the modded Xbox since it could play anything you threw at it. I was extremely impressed and hadn't seen anything that provided such a great solution.

Years went by and I would try several different media players.... Mplayer, VLC, MPHC etc. I eventually got a popcorn hour which had some pretty nice decoding capabilities, but with a pretty crude and slow interface. After that I got a Boxee Box when it came out and was thrilled by it's media scraping capabilities. Eventually I grew to dislike the Boxee, their team and didn't trust them... so I ended up selling my Boxee Box and made my first HTPC with XBMC... This was back in 2012 when I first joined the forums, can't really remember when I tried XBMC on a PC before that. I used that HTPC for quite a while and have dabbled in Plex, which for all intents and purposes has a brilliant transcoder, before returning to XBMC for it's rich platform. I can't imagine anything replacing XBMC in the near future and I would like to thank everyone for the great community and devotion. Thanking the developers, skinners etc for honing their skills and creativity goes without saying. Smile

A big thanks to williamplusdeb for starting this thread!

Edit: Thank god we don't have to deal with those so called "super codec packs" anymore Tongue
Oh, are we counting the Xbox version? Then 8 years for me. Actually, it's a funny story, we were trying to use Xbox's running Xbuntu to then run VLC and operate them as cheap client boxes for a streaming video network at an anime con. They'd basically feed TVs for viewing of main events that were in other rooms. Xbuntu was a disaster and I later discovered XBMC which would happily read the live stream off the LAN and was way more user friendly. Then I was left with the boxes after the con and used them only ever in file mode, I honestly never even UNDERSTOOD the whole 'library' thing till I started looking at building a dedicated one for 1080p material out of PC parts. That's why I only counted from when I started with PC parts.

Though wow, it was WAY easier to launch games seamlessly on the classic Xbox Media Center. Tongue
(2014-05-07, 15:28)DJ_Izumi Wrote: Hmm, little over three years for me now. It started as an Athlon 64 3200+ built from old parts, that kept going for about a year until I gave in and built a whole new box for it. A6-3500 system. Of course then FM1 reached End Of Life status from AMD quickly and I upgraded to an A8-3870K for cheap on boxing day. I kept adding HDDs. I added Steam to it, later Steam Launcher drastically improved my experiences with it. This fall it inherited a Radeon HD 6850 from my workstation to make it even better. It started at 2TB and now has 17TB in it. No regrets for the box. Smile

Lol, so many people hopped on that Athlon 64 train. AMD, we had such high hopes for you back then. Then Conroe came around and now you're just a distant memory.

Edit: AMEN to that super codec packs thing nooryani84. Jesus that was annoying.
(2014-05-08, 04:30)tential Wrote: Lol, so many people hopped on that Athlon 64 train. AMD, we had such high hopes for you back then. Then Conroe came around and now you're just a distant memory.

It was a fine desktop for what it was, but it was pretty old once I repurposed it as an HTPC in 2010. What really prompted the move was when I started playing with SickBeard and CouchPotato. The PARing and unRARing took up a GREAT deal of that CPU's resources and XBMC got pretty unresponsive until it was done.
6 or 7 years here. still have two modded xbox's around here gathering dust. i've installed xbmc on xbox, multiple computers, raspberry pi and my pivos. most amazing piece of software ever. unbelievable community. thank you everyone

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
It's been one year0