Apple TV 1st generation
Not sure if this is the correct forum. Broke some atv2s in the past. Just got a used first generation atv. Someone upgraded it to an 80gb drive. Has XBMC 11 eden installed. All the addons I like to use don't work. Do I have to upgrade XBMC? I have never messed with the first generation. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
I would say follow this:

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Restor...e_Apple_OS

restore your ATV to scratch and install XBMC from scratch using this:

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...on_AppleTV
יונתן בן-חיים
can i install the new xbmc and keep the apple tv os?
Only if you boot from a USB drive when you want new XBMC.
You can also run Crystalbuntu from a USB stick on the ATV1 and keep the AppleTV OS untouched on the HD. This works really nicely for me, but the ATV1 is not powerful enough to run 1080p without modifying it by removing the wireless adapter and installing a Broadcom BCM970015 Crystal HD card. I haven't done this mod but it is not a major hindrance as most of the content I access works fine. Gotham Final is really slick even from USB and all the addons work. You need to set up CB using a wired Ethernet connection, but once installed you can use the Network Manager XBMC addon to link it to your WiFi. I used to run the patch stick which added XBMC and Boxee to the ATV menu, but it wasn't so great. CB is far better. If you ever need to use the original ATV then just reboot without the stick.
When I install openelec on the atv1 will I have to install xbmc later or will it automatically install?
Is XBMC installed when I make an openelec usb stick?
Yes
I decided to boot from a USB instead of installing it on the hdd. Used an 8gb stick and downloaded the image on a windows computer. Created the stick. Followed the instructions and set the box to RGB high. plugged in the usb stick.....rebooted and the openelec image shows up then get an error message "k: need terminal for interactive repairs"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 1st generation0