• 553(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
@Matt Devo 
I upgraded my CN60 to your latest firmware.  Kodi boots but I lost mouse and keyboard functionality.  I created a new USB with your Kodi script and now it won't boot with the UEFI firmware.  Does your Kodi USB creating script need to be updated to support UEFI booting?

Update:  Your 4.18.2 release has fixed the USB issues! Thanks.
Is anyone else having the issue on the HP Chromebook where when you use the mouse and point to click on something and it actually clicks an inch below where you're pointing? I usually have to uninstall and reinstall it to be able to use it as normal.
EDIT: this has happened with Kodi 19.3 20.0 and I've just upgraded via the play store to 20.1 as the Google play store is the only way I can get Kodi onto my wife's HP Chromebook laptop. It gets a bit aggravating having to uninstall and reinstall it every so often and I've went to Reddit and those idiots told me to stop fixing it and get a new wife.. So I decided to come here and try to find a fix but I'm Not a computer wiz and I don't know 99% of what I've been reading about on here 😂
Will a Chromebox 3 with an i7 cpu handle all 4k videos without stuttering etc.?

We have an Asus  Chromebox 3 with LibreElec. It has an Intel Celeron [email protected] M with a Mesa (Intel) HD 610 graphics card.

The Chromebox is our primary Kodi box, we have/had several others such as the original Asus Chromebox,  RPI 4 (also 3-2-1), Wetek Play2 and at least one other I can not remember the name.  Lately we started watching 4K movies and some are too much for the Celeron cpu, it hits 100% and starts to stutter on some of the software decodes. 

I know there are newer models but they cost more than we care to spend at this time.

thanks for your help,

joe
(2023-08-06, 00:42)Pajoe Wrote: Will a Chromebox 3 with an i7 cpu handle all 4k videos without stuttering etc.?

We have an Asus  Chromebox 3 with LibreElec. It has an Intel Celeron [email protected] M with a Mesa (Intel) HD 610 graphics card.

The Chromebox is our primary Kodi box, we have/had several others such as the original Asus Chromebox,  RPI 4 (also 3-2-1), Wetek Play2 and at least one other I can not remember the name.  Lately we started watching 4K movies and some are too much for the Celeron cpu, it hits 100% and starts to stutter on some of the software decodes. 

I know there are newer models but they cost more than we care to spend at this time.

thanks for your help,

Joe

A lot of UHD (aka 4K) content is now encoded in HEVC/h.265 rathe than AVC/h.264 which is more common for HD. The older Intel CPUs in the Asus Chromeboxes only hardware accelerate the older AVC/h.264 codec - so newer codecs like HEVC/h.265 have to be software decoded by the CPU, and the CPU isn't fast enough for the newer HEVC/h.265 in UHD/4K.

The Raspberry Pi 4B DOES do hardware decoding of HEVC/h.265 at UHD/4K - and LibreElec runs well on it (probably a better choice than installing Kodi on Raspberry Pi OS). However if you also have older UHD/4K AVC/h.264 content to play - the Pi 4B tops out at 1080p in that codec - so it's still not a perfect choice.

Personally I'd look at something like a Fire TV Stick or a Chromecast with Google TV if you need to keep costs down - as they will do hardware acceleration of pretty much everything at a low cost. You can also find AMLogic-based boxes that run CoreElec that cope with pretty much everything to. The downside of these ARM solutions is that if you have a large library or run heavy skins their CPUs struggle a bit in UI navigation terms - but in replay they're great. Alternatively a lot of the cheaper 'mini PCs' that are based on recent Intel Celeron and Pentium chips will do hardware HEVC/h.265 UHD/4K decode.

I used to run a Celeron Chromebox as my main Kodi solution as you are - but as I moved to UHD HDR content I realised I needed to replace the Chromebox. I'm running a mix of Apple TV 4K (for DRM streaming) and AMLogic + CoreElec and Raspberry Pi + LibreElec solutions elsewhere. (I don't currently have any Intel solutions)
Thanks for the reply, we may need to move on from using a Chromebox, we had them for many years. I need to do more research, maybe a Fire Cube or Nvidia Shield pro would be better. We have a couple Fire sticks, they work OK but slower and only do 1080p.

We use a shared mysql database. We have an older i5 hp sff that takes care of the mysql darabase and serves some files. I am not sure about our Rpi4, Libreelec shows it having a BCM 2835, and the display type shows HDR HDR10, I think it is the 4 gig model. I do not use it often, more of a backup.
(2023-08-06, 21:55)Pajoe Wrote: Thanks for the reply, we may need to move on from using a Chromebox, we had them for many years. I need to do more research, maybe a Fire Cube or Nvidia Shield pro would be better. We have a couple Fire sticks, they work OK but slower and only do 1080p.

We use a shared mysql database. We have an older i5 hp sff that takes care of the mysql darabase and serves some files. I am not sure about our Rpi4, Libreelec shows it having a BCM 2835, and the display type shows HDR HDR10, I think it is the 4 gig model. I do not use it often, more of a backup.

The Pi 4B happily replays UHD/4K HEVC/h.265 stuff in Rec 2020 HLG and HDR10 (and I believe HDR10+ though I can't test that).

The Shield TV is also a good choice if you are OK in Android.  Personally I prefer LibreElec/CoreElec (which are based on just-enough Linux distros). Also worth keeping an eye on the new Vero V.
  • 553(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37