• 105(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-09-26, 05:15)Netix Wrote: Thanks Stereodude, I went on the #openelec IRC channel and a guy named lrusak fixed everything ! I got a script running a xrandr command everytime the chromebox resume so I got sound and no more green screen Smile

Here is what we did
Code:
mkdir -p /storage/.config/sleep.d
Code:
cat > /storage/.config/sleep.d/01-xrandr.power << EOL
#!/bin/sh
case $1 in
   pre)
     ;;
   post)
     xrandr --output HDMI1 --off; sleep 1; xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1280x720 --rate 60.0
     ;;
esac
EOL
Code:
chmod +x /storage/.config/sleep.d/01-xrandr.power

PS. I learned that if you get scripts from pastebin, you need to use dos2unix to convert to unix line endings.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
(2014-09-26, 05:15)Netix Wrote: Thanks Stereodude, I went on the #openelec IRC channel and a guy named lrusak fixed everything !
I've also found the folks in #openelec to be very knowledgeable and helpful.
For those with the Chromebox CB1-020no and running Ubuntu or other Linux dist.

Do you have overscan problems like i do?
My Panasonic TX-P50VT30Y does not have the tools to fix this.

It has to be done in the OS. Tried this:

xrandr --output HDMI1 --transform 1.05,0,-35,0,1.05,-19,0,0,1

and it helped. and fiddled with those numbers to get the best result. But its not prefekt.
The bar in the top is to wide to show the clock for example.

Maybe there are some tools within the latest Intel drivers that can help.

Ubuntu 14.04 recognizes the TV as a 32" panasonic...
Pooking arround with google gave this issue a long history.

But nobody seems to have a good solution, or i did not find it yet....

I will get back here if i find the solution.
(2014-09-26, 14:34)P3ws Wrote: For those with the Chromebox CB1-020no and running Ubuntu or other Linux dist.

Do you have overscan problems like i do?
My Panasonic TX-P50VT30Y does not have the tools to fix this.

It has to be done in the OS. Tried this:

xrandr --output HDMI1 --transform 1.05,0,-35,0,1.05,-19,0,0,1

and it helped. and fiddled with those numbers to get the best result. But its not prefekt.
The bar in the top is to wide to show the clock for example.

Maybe there are some tools within the latest Intel drivers that can help.

Ubuntu 14.04 recognizes the TV as a 32" panasonic...
Pooking arround with google gave this issue a long history.

But nobody seems to have a good solution, or i did not find it yet....

I will get back here if i find the solution.

I had the same problem with my Panasonic TV. I fixed it on the TV by pressing the Menu button on the TV remote, going into Picture, VIewing Mode, and setting it to THX. When I did this the screen size on XBMC was perfect with no adjustment required. Note that this setting is unique to each AV input, so making this change on the XBMC HDMI input will not affect your TV or other HDMI inputs.

Note that you could also change the screen size in XBMC by going to System, System, Video Output, Video calibration and then adjust the screen size to match your TV. .

Setting the Panasonic TV Viewing Mode to THX is a better solution since this will fix the screen size for the boot menu, ChromeOS, OpenELEC and XBMC.

Geoff..
(2014-09-26, 15:12)gkingsmill Wrote: I had the same problem with my Panasonic TV. I fixed it on the TV by pressing the Menu button on the TV remote, going into Picture, VIewing Mode, and setting it to THX. When I did this the screen size on XBMC was perfect with no adjustment required. Note that this setting is unique to each AV input, so making this change on the XBMC HDMI input will not affect your TV or other HDMI inputs.

Note that you could also change the screen size in XBMC by going to System, System, Video Output, Video calibration and then adjust the screen size to match your TV. .

Setting the Panasonic TV Viewing Mode to THX is a better solution since this will fix the screen size for the boot menu, ChromeOS, OpenELEC and XBMC.

Geoff..

I been doing that too. No such luck.
Will do it again just to be sure. I will get back to you.
Did you have the desktop wider than the screen on TV?
It is the Ubuntu desktop that is wider than what the screen shows.
Hi Everyone,
New here and can see Matt has been tireless in developing and helping.

Question: I recently purchased the Asus Chromebox for a media center only and followed the instructions to a T (I think). Was able to put CB into developer mode and removed the write-protect screw. I failed to get the EZ script to run. CB was at the login screen with a good network (internet) connection but when I pressed CTRL-ALT-F2 to get to command prompt nothing happened. No prompt. Tried several times.

I did log in and used crosh>shell to get chronos@localhost then a prompt. I tried both the commands:http://goo.gl/3Tfu5W and curl -L -O https://db.tt/vUPL3OrH using copy and paste with no luck getting the script to run. The keyboard I am using is the apple usb keyboard. Another keyboard sequence did work which showed the CB was reacting to the keyboard. Think it was CTRL-D.

Does anyone have an idea where I went wrong at the CTRL-ALT-F2 step? Been reading so much my eyes are blurred. Thanks!
i haven't tried an apple keyboard with the chromebox but it could be that it's defaulting to the media keys. have you tried fn+ctrl+alt+f2?
Furil, Your suggestion may have done it. I now have the localhost login. Thanks!!! Will see how everything goes from here.
Thanks again Furii, XBMC standalone installed without further problems
Guys, I just had to create an account and post some feedback on how awesome this is. It could not be easier to do this and this script is amazing.

I originally bought the chromebox to be used as a "winterm". My only point in purchasing it was to be able to RDP to my desktop where all my files are stored and backed up. I didn't want to have files in two different places (at home and at the office). After tinkering with chromebox a bit I started wondering what else might I be able to do with it and eventually ran into this website. I know there are other websites that are trying to do the same thing but this one seems like the best, at least everything is explained very well.

What I ended up doing with mine is installing Centos 7 with Gnome desktop and I couldn't be happier. I'm not dual booting. Everything went off without a hitch. I'm using a Vizio 39" TV with 1080P and 120hz refresh rate that I picked up for about $350. Displays perfectly. What I really like about it is I was able to easily mount the chromebox to the back of the display. The screws that came with the chromebox were not quite long enough though but no big deal I had some laying around in my junk drawer.

Anyway, I simply wanted to let everyone know that Centos works without issue. I am single booting and I don't have to hit any keys at all on bootup, it just boots up and quickly! When I RDP to my PC, I use full screen RDP and you can't even tell that you are looking at a console. I'm using the memory and flash card that came with it. Maybe I will buy another one of these chromeboxes and toy around with more memory and storage. I mainly use linux at the command line for work and haven't had a look at a GUI in a long time, maybe 5 years. Sure has come a long way.

Here is two pics of my setup.

(2014-09-26, 23:08)tom11011 Wrote: Guys, I just had to create an account and post some feedback on how awesome this is. It could not be easier to do this and this script is amazing.

<snip>

Anyway, I simply wanted to let everyone know that Centos works without issue. I am single booting and I don't have to hit any keys at all on bootup, it just boots up and quickly! When I RDP to my PC, I use full screen RDP and you can't even tell that you are looking at a console. I'm using the memory and flash card that came with it. Maybe I will buy another one of these chromeboxes and toy around with more memory and storage. I mainly use linux at the command line for work and haven't had a look at a GUI in a long time, maybe 5 years. Sure has come a long way.

glad you found it useful Smile At this point, pretty much any current Linux distro (with kernel 3.14 or newer) will work out of the box on the Chromebox, so it' no surprise that CentOS did as well.
Updated the script to OpenELEC 4.2.0 stable

Updated wiki with better suspend/resume script which should fix any issues with no audio and/or corrupted video upon resume from suspend.
Having problems booting without a keyboard or mouse. I'm running a standalone with just Ubuntu 14.04, as a small server and XBMC frontend for the TV, but it always get stuck at the grub boot screen whenever I don't have a keyboard attached. If I attach a keyboard it boots fine without the grub menu appearing.

I've set GRUB_RECORDFAIL_TIMEOUT=0 but still it doesn't stop grub from appearing and stopping the boot.

I had the same setup on an Intel NUC without any keyboard attached and grub never appeared. Just wonder if there's something in the custom chromebox BIOS that is causing this. It's a asus chromebox plugged into the TV with onyl an infra red receiver and HDMI connected.
(2014-09-27, 22:06)plinkyplonky Wrote: Having problems booting without a keyboard or mouse. I'm running a standalone with just Ubuntu 14.04, as a small server and XBMC frontend for the TV, but it always get stuck at the grub boot screen whenever I don't have a keyboard attached. If I attach a keyboard it boots fine without the grub menu appearing.

I've set GRUB_RECORDFAIL_TIMEOUT=0 but still it doesn't stop grub from appearing and stopping the boot.

I had the same setup on an Intel NUC without any keyboard attached and grub never appeared. Just wonder if there's something in the custom chromebox BIOS that is causing this. It's a asus chromebox plugged into the TV with onyl an infra red receiver and HDMI connected.

sounds like a grub issue to me. Have you tried this suggestion?
(2014-09-22, 21:31)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-09-22, 17:43)figaro Wrote:
(2014-09-18, 02:00)figaro Wrote: Hi Matt,
Thanks again for your advise,
Now the people at Google suggested re-installing the Chrome OS,
To continue to have my dual boot setup, do I reinstall the recovery image with pushing the recovery reset with a paper clip and follow the directions ? am I going to loose my OPENELECXBMC installation (I spent 5 days to configure) and have to start all over again? is there any better way?
Best Regards.

Bump !

someone already responded: use the OpenELEC backup function, copy the backup file (.tar) to another machine, re-install ChromeOS + dual boot setup, and then restore your settings from the backup. Which is covered in the OpenELEC wiki.

Thank you Matt for your continuous help,
I re-installed ChromeOS, I followed your script as a new install and it worked fine,
The OpenELEC backup function did not work. It was OK to reconfigure the box again.
By the way, re-installing the ChromeOS did not solve the issue of no audio on HDMI.
Now the people at Google are telling me it is known bug in their last release and they are working on it. Obviously not working very hard because it is been going on for more than 2 months !!!.
The new guy at Google in charge of ChromeOS was saying the other day that he predicts ChromeOS will be the dominant OS in the future !!!. What a joke !!!. How long did it take Apple to correct the snafu with IOS 8 ? one day ?
Best Regards.
  • 105(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37