• 111(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
First off, big thanks to Matt Devo.

Sorry ahead of time if this has been mentioned, 100 pages is a lot to cover.

I have the M004u, dual booting Xubuntu & ChromeOS. That connects to a Pioneer VSX-822-K over hdmi (more on that in a moment), and then to my TV over hdmi.

The reason I mention the receiver is that I am having really odd audio issues. Initially, before I setup dual booting, (in ChromeOS) I had no audio. Then, after setting up Xubuntu (Pulse Audio), I get no audio (built in audio player, system sounds, Pandora and Netflix in chrome, etc.). In XBMC on Xubuntu, I get audio from DTS-HD, DTS, and Dolby audio tracks in movies, but basically nothing 2-channel based (MP3's, etc.). I've read that Pulse Audio is currently broken on this device in Ubuntu, so, here come the questions:
  • Anyone know if there are issues with receivers (specifically Pioneer's) and Chromebox? This receiver handled Crystalbuntu on the OG Apple TV great.
  • Is Pulse Audio just outright broken on 4th generation Intel Devices in Linux, period? I'll assume this is Intel's fault until corrected.
  • If Pulse Audio is not broken on the Chromebox / *ubuntu, is there a different version number or distro that I should be / can be using (Ex. Arch?)? (I still definitely want Netflix working, though I'm fine with using pipelight if necessary.)
  • Is Alsa audio the only way get consistent audio in XBMC currently in *ubuntu 14?

-Sorry if I misspelled / listed wrong stats - Bourbon & Coke before dinner gets me every time.

Thanks!
Current: Nvidia Shield TV (2nd Gen)
Retired: Asus M004u Chromebox - LibreELEC 7.0.1 | Raspberry Pi 2 - OpenELEC 6.0.3 | Apple TV w/ BCM70015 - CrystalBuntu 2.0 | Raspberry Pi - Model B - OpenElec Kodi 15
searching this thread for pulseaudio yields this post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1804933
which looks like it should be useful.

In general, I believe it's a known issue that Pioneer receivers have handshaking/EDID issues with Intel HDMI audio
I was wondering this is a bit off topic but I have an old TV that's a Sony projection TV KP-53HS30 I want to buy another Asus cromebox for it and I have this Converter http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX47009 and I have tried hooking up my current Chromebox and I get pink lines and a black screen with audio I have tried setting it to 720p while hooked up to a new TV and trying it through the converter again I do get more lines of color but no clear pic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(2014-10-15, 06:47)Thoir Wrote: I was wondering this is a bit off topic but I have an old TV that's a Sony projection TV KP-53HS30 I want to buy another Asus cromebox for it and I have this Converter http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX47009 and I have tried hooking up my current Chromebox and I get pink lines and a black screen with audio I have tried setting it to 720p while hooked up to a new TV and trying it through the converter again I do get more lines of color but no clear pic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know, but reading the reviews of that product, what you're seeing doesn't seem to be unusual, and I don't see anyone who posted a solution. I would try it with some OTHER HDMI product to see if it works at all.
(2014-10-14, 23:46)mcord Wrote:
(2014-10-14, 22:31)duncspur Wrote: I have a similar problem to Nitrous, but I'm not sure if it is to do with my XBMC setup or it's a problem with my ChromeBox setup.

Basically, if I am watching either TV or a movie (it seems regardless of which Add-on), the picture will randomly freeze after about 30 minutes or so. There is no buffering and the sound continues, so the stream hasn't dropped but the picture is completely frozen and the keyboard won't respond. The only thing I can do is unplug the whole box and reboot it.

Is there a log that I can turn on to see what might be the cause? (Please excuse my technical ignorance on this!)

Any help gratefully received.

Duncan

Did you follow all of the settings recommendation in the wiki

Yes, I set it up following the instructions in the wiki.

Best, Duncan
(2014-10-15, 12:35)duncspur Wrote:
(2014-10-14, 23:46)mcord Wrote:
(2014-10-14, 22:31)duncspur Wrote: I have a similar problem to Nitrous, but I'm not sure if it is to do with my XBMC setup or it's a problem with my ChromeBox setup.

Basically, if I am watching either TV or a movie (it seems regardless of which Add-on), the picture will randomly freeze after about 30 minutes or so. There is no buffering and the sound continues, so the stream hasn't dropped but the picture is completely frozen and the keyboard won't respond. The only thing I can do is unplug the whole box and reboot it.

Is there a log that I can turn on to see what might be the cause? (Please excuse my technical ignorance on this!)

Any help gratefully received.

Duncan

Did you follow all of the settings recommendation in the wiki

Yes, I set it up following the instructions in the wiki.

Best, Duncan

it sounds like you're talking about streaming movies/tv shows via addons which are not supported on this forum so you'll get no help here.
OK - it just seems that it is the box itself freezing rather than the stream. I'll try other forums.
Greetings all. First post, but I'm already up and running with an ASUS in dual boot mode. Works great. Sorry to rehash a repetitive topic, but is there any way to choose my OS during boot-up without Ctrl-D-ing the keyboard? I am using the k400 and realize it's limitations at the Developer Screen (I temporarily used my HP keyboard for initial set-up). A search through this (enormous) thread showed several posts on the keyboard but I didn't find what I was hoping for.

Thx!
(2014-10-15, 20:29)jasn Wrote: Greetings all. First post, but I'm already up and running with an ASUS in dual boot mode. Works great. Sorry to rehash a repetitive topic, but is there any way to choose my OS during boot-up without Ctrl-D-ing the keyboard? I am using the k400 and realize it's limitations at the Developer Screen (I temporarily used my HP keyboard for initial set-up). A search through this (enormous) thread showed several posts on the keyboard but I didn't find what I was hoping for.

Thx!

no. with a dual boot setup, you can set the default to whichever OS you want, but you can't choose the other without CTRL-L/D on the developer boot screen. It's a limitation of the stock firmware.
(2014-10-15, 00:21)nickr Wrote: After you chack for updates, is there a file in /storage/update ?

Have you rebooted after "check for updates?

YES - after the check for updates there is "NO" file in the /storage/update.

What I tried was, downloaded the 4.2.1 update (.tar - OpenELEC Stable - Generic x86_64 Version:4.2.1) and then SSH's into the CB and placed this file in location of /storage/update.

then rebooted - presto 4.2.1

not sure what was what - but this worked
(2014-10-15, 22:24)ATV1-canada Wrote: YES - after the check for updates there is "NO" file in the /storage/update.

What I tried was, downloaded the 4.2.1 update (.tar - OpenELEC Stable - Generic x86_64 Version:4.2.1) and then SSH's into the CB and placed this file in location of /storage/update.

much easier just to copy the file over via SMB, as per the OE instructions, but to each his/her own
(2014-10-15, 23:47)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-10-15, 22:24)ATV1-canada Wrote: YES - after the check for updates there is "NO" file in the /storage/update.

much easier just to copy the file over via SMB, as per the OE instructions, but to each his/her own

I have no time or patience for the gui and smb. Real men do
Code:
scp OpenELEC-xxx.tar root@lounge:~/.update/

But as you say each to their own.

Actually during experimental times I keep a nuumber of images in /storage and use ssh to copy them into .update if I want to change. That makes swapping between builds very simple, and no wait on network transfers.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-10-15, 06:47)Thoir Wrote: I was wondering this is a bit off topic but I have an old TV that's a Sony projection TV KP-53HS30 I want to buy another Asus cromebox for it and I have this Converter http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX47009 and I have tried hooking up my current Chromebox and I get pink lines and a black screen with audio I have tried setting it to 720p while hooked up to a new TV and trying it through the converter again I do get more lines of color but no clear pic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have that same exact TV and am using this with no issues. And it is cheaper than the one u mention:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00I482L2K/
(2014-10-16, 00:43)superdesi Wrote:

I have that same exact TV and am using this with no issues. And it is cheaper than the one u mention:

There are a number of products there, but none of them seem to have HDMI in and YPbPr (ie component) out?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-10-16, 00:43)superdesi Wrote:

But isn't it composite - and thus limited to SD resolution with a composite chroma footprint?
  • 111(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37