• 117(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Sorry I was confused about what device flekz had, forgive my intrusion. I will crawl back to my hole now...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-10-30, 20:40)nickr Wrote: Sorry I was confused about what device flekz had, forgive my intrusion. I will crawl back to my hole now...

lol
(2014-10-30, 17:19)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-10-30, 07:29)adun79 Wrote: It's 38.0.2125.110 (64bit). The box is HP with 2 gigs of ram

fixed / script updated. Google moved the location of the command outside of the normal executable paths, those jerks.

It works

Thanks, Matt

Is there a way to bring up the boot options? Right now CTRL+D takes me into Chrome, CTRL+L into OE. It is set at OE default, 30 sec delay
(2014-10-30, 22:51)adun79 Wrote: It works

Thanks, Matt

Is there a way to bring up the boot options? Right now CTRL+D takes me into Chrome, CTRL+L into OE. It is set at OE default, 30 sec delay

negative. The keyboard shortcuts to boot ChromeOS and the legacy BIOS in the stock firmware are there just for developers, it was never intended to be an option for "regular" users.

The closest you can get is to install my standalone firmware, then install ChromiumOS and dual boot OE, and have a GRUB boot menu to select between the two. There's even a way to "upgrade" ChromiumOS to ChromeOS, but then you lose the auto-update capability. And that's definitely beyond the scope of this script, and what I would consider doable for most users Smile
(2014-10-31, 00:47)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-10-30, 22:51)adun79 Wrote: It works

Thanks, Matt

negative. The keyboard shortcuts to boot ChromeOS and the legacy BIOS in the stock firmware are there just for developers, it was never intended to be an option for "regular" users.

The closest you can get is to install my standalone firmware, then install ChromiumOS and dual boot OE, and have a GRUB boot menu to select between the two. There's even a way to "upgrade" ChromiumOS to ChromeOS, but then you lose the auto-update capability. And that's definitely beyond the scope of this script, and what I would consider doable for most users Smile

But ESC will keep working right? that for me is the chromebox default boot menu, basic and limited but handy.
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2014-10-31, 01:35)Veronica Wrote:
(2014-10-31, 00:47)Matt Devo Wrote: negative. The keyboard shortcuts to boot ChromeOS and the legacy BIOS in the stock firmware are there just for developers, it was never intended to be an option for "regular" users.

But ESC will keep working right? that for me is the chromebox default boot menu, basic and limited but handy.

not sure what you are asking exactly - the SeaBIOS boot menu will always be available , assuming more than one boot device is present. What I'm referring to is a standard GRUB boot menu which would show after booting the internal hard drive, and allow the selection between ChromiumOS and OpenELEC
(2014-10-31, 02:10)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-10-31, 01:35)Veronica Wrote:
(2014-10-31, 00:47)Matt Devo Wrote: negative. The keyboard shortcuts to boot ChromeOS and the legacy BIOS in the stock firmware are there just for developers, it was never intended to be an option for "regular" users.

not sure what you are asking exactly - the SeaBIOS boot menu will always be available , assuming more than one boot device is present. What I'm referring to is a standard GRUB boot menu which would show after booting the internal hard drive, and allow the selection between ChromiumOS and OpenELEC

I know the difference, i just wanted to make sure ESC was working as he mentioned boot options and for me the first thought was the SeaBIOS boot menu.
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
Thanks for such a great script. I wish I had found this earlier, but unfortunately, I got partway through another blog and realized it didn't work for some reason, so went searching for this. I think I have a working system, but some things seem a little weird. let me see if I can describe what happened and perhaps someone here can help.

1. First blog had get into dev mode and issue the following "chromeos-firmwareupdate --mode=todev ", from there run a script to partition for Ubuntu (picked 9G for size) and it ran into problems... so switched over to your script.
2. started by restoring from a USB image (downloaded recovery image from google and imaged a USB stick with it)
3. dualboot script worked great from there (again with 9G for Ubuntu), took a while to get through but it looked good from there.
4. selected Ubuntu to boot in 1 sec delay

Now whenever I boot, the screen still has the warning that OS verification is off and to hit space to enable. it sits there for a while and I typically hit CTL-L to boot to Ubuntu.
now, when I boot to Ubuntu, screen blanks and I get an error about USB descriptors or enumerator.. seems to hang there for a few minutes then goes to the login screen for Ubuntu.

So... can I get past that OS verification screen and boot into Ubuntu quickly? and is there something strange going on with the USB warning (sorry... not in front of my box now, so I'll have post the detailed error when I get home).

Also, if I want to go back to the start and restore chrome os from the USB image, does that take me back to scratch (i.e. back to stock, HD back to original partitions, etc..)

finally, if I do the standalone Ubuntu load, are there any specific versions that work better than others? 14.04? and which specific image should I be putting on a USB stick

lot's of questions so thanks in advance for helping!
Had to send my HP Chromebox off to HP for a new motherboard (warranty) cause it would not power on. Got it back yesterday and re-ran the script and all went well until I try option 3 and try to set the boot options. I choose option 1 and it confirms that it has created the 1 sec boot option. When I reboot the chromebox it is always stuck on the 30 sec boot option. I can do ctrl-D and ctrl-L just fine and it takes me into Chrome/XBMC with no problem and they function OK. I would just like to get it back to the 1 sec delay rather than the 30 sec delay. I have removed the firmware write protect screw as per the WIKI instructions.
Any ideas?
I was able to set the boot option by setting the flags manually from a ChromeOS shell prompt using the following command:
sudo set_gbb_flags.sh 0x489
(2014-10-31, 20:33)pakman Wrote: Thanks for such a great script. I wish I had found this earlier, but unfortunately, I got partway through another blog and realized it didn't work for some reason, so went searching for this. I think I have a working system, but some things seem a little weird. let me see if I can describe what happened and perhaps someone here can help.

1. First blog had get into dev mode and issue the following "chromeos-firmwareupdate --mode=todev ", from there run a script to partition for Ubuntu (picked 9G for size) and it ran into problems... so switched over to your script.
2. started by restoring from a USB image (downloaded recovery image from google and imaged a USB stick with it)
3. dualboot script worked great from there (again with 9G for Ubuntu), took a while to get through but it looked good from there.
4. selected Ubuntu to boot in 1 sec delay

Now whenever I boot, the screen still has the warning that OS verification is off and to hit space to enable. it sits there for a while and I typically hit CTL-L to boot to Ubuntu.

that's normal, there is a 30s delay on the developer mode boot screen. You can change it to 1s using the 'Set Boot Options' feature of my script.

Quote:now, when I boot to Ubuntu, screen blanks and I get an error about USB descriptors or enumerator.. seems to hang there for a few minutes then goes to the login screen for Ubuntu.

again both are normal, and nothing to worry about. You can shorten the boot time by upgrading the kernel and/or disabling the TPM from the grub command line. I don't have the commands handy as I don't use a dual boot setup, but google should help.

Quote:Also, if I want to go back to the start and restore chrome os from the USB image, does that take me back to scratch (i.e. back to stock, HD back to original partitions, etc..)

using the ChromeOS recovery media will restore the original partitions/layout, but it will not reset the boot options if you make changes with my script (so if you do want to restore, set the boot options back to the default first). After restoring, hit space to exit developer mode.

Quote:finally, if I do the standalone Ubuntu load, are there any specific versions that work better than others? 14.04? and which specific image should I be putting on a USB stick

lot's of questions so thanks in advance for helping!

I'd just install 14.10 using the 64-bit desktop version, but after running the standalone setup, you can run pretty much any distro you like, as long as you use a relatively recent kernel (3.14+).

(2014-10-31, 22:03)rahjer Wrote: Had to send my HP Chromebox off to HP for a new motherboard (warranty) cause it would not power on. Got it back yesterday and re-ran the script and all went well until I try option 3 and try to set the boot options. I choose option 1 and it confirms that it has created the 1 sec boot option. When I reboot the chromebox it is always stuck on the 30 sec boot option. I can do ctrl-D and ctrl-L just fine and it takes me into Chrome/XBMC with no problem and they function OK. I would just like to get it back to the 1 sec delay rather than the 30 sec delay. I have removed the firmware write protect screw as per the WIKI instructions.
Any ideas?
(2014-11-01, 00:10)rahjer Wrote: I was able to set the boot option by setting the flags manually from a ChromeOS shell prompt using the following command:
sudo set_gbb_flags.sh 0x489

can you boot into ChromeOS and tell me what version you are running? I made some adjustments yesterday to the 'Set Boot Options' feature to accommodate newer versions of ChromeOS, but since you were able to run the command manually I'd assume it's an older version and something I changed in the script broke things there.
So I tried to change the boot settings to 1s and default to Ubuntu. when I reboot, it still takes > 1s to do anything and then defaults to ChromeOS, I don't think it worked properly....

when I run the command, it shows me the usage of set_gbb_flags.sh then says:

Boot options successfully set.

Checking if Legacy BIOS needs updating/reparing
Legacy BIOS does not need update/repair
press [enter] to return to main menu.

I then reboot, and it still goes 30s and to chrome os by default.

am I missing something?
[quote='Matt Devo' pid='1826509' dateline='1414799941']

Quote:again both are normal, and nothing to worry about. You can shorten the boot time by upgrading the kernel and/or disabling the TPM from the grub command line. I don't have the commands handy as I don't use a dual boot setup, but google should help.

The USB error thing I got was as follows:

usb 1-4: string descriptor 0 malformed (err = -61), defaulting to 0x0409

I did the standard Ubuntu-desktop install as per the script, so it looks like Ubuntu 14.10. which I think is on the latest kernel already isn't it?
(2014-11-01, 07:50)pakman Wrote: So I tried to change the boot settings to 1s and default to Ubuntu. when I reboot, it still takes > 1s to do anything and then defaults to ChromeOS, I don't think it worked properly....

when I run the command, it shows me the usage of set_gbb_flags.sh then says:

Boot options successfully set.

Checking if Legacy BIOS needs updating/reparing
Legacy BIOS does not need update/repair
press [enter] to return to main menu.

I then reboot, and it still goes 30s and to chrome os by default.

am I missing something?

no. please boot ChromeOS (guest login ok) and tell me what version you are running, as well as which ChromeBox.

(2014-11-01, 08:23)pakman Wrote: The USB error thing I got was as follows:

usb 1-4: string descriptor 0 malformed (err = -61), defaulting to 0x0409

I did the standard Ubuntu-desktop install as per the script, so it looks like Ubuntu 14.10. which I think is on the latest kernel already isn't it?

that error is normal / can be ignored.

the script will install Ubuntu 14.04 + 3.16.5 kernel. If it's still taking 30s to boot into Ubuntu after the legacy BIOS screen, then you need to edit your grub config to disable the TPM.
Has anybody had any issues with connecting over Wi-Fi? I got an Asus Chromebox running standalone OpenELEC. I can see my network but when I try to connect over Wi-Fi I always get an abort error. It runs fine if its wired though. Can somebody help me out?
  • 117(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37