Linux - Asus/HP/Acer/Dell ChromeBox EZ Setup (OpenELEC/Linux+XBMC) [v3.0 - 2014/10/16]

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Votes - 4.73 Average
Matt Devo Offline
Posting Freak
(2014-05-12 20:29)asleulv Wrote:  I would like to try that. Possible through your script?

no need for a script, just download the 3.2.4 version from OE site (http://openelec.tv/get-openelec/download...tel-builds) then update OE manually: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Updati...g_OpenELEC

Note: I have not tested this, and it may not work and require you to reinstall OE 4.0 from the USB originally created by my script so don't overwrite it

Questions about XBMC on an Asus/HP/Acer/Dell ChromeBox?

Check out the wiki and my EZ install script

find quote
JamesCruze Offline
Hi Matt,

I finally got it up and running.....for some reason I could not do a stanalone set up of openELEC so I gave up and have a dual boot set up.
Either way, your script helped and I have it working connected to my Mybook live HD and can watch movies I have stored on there.
I have a question on all the Giberish (looks like firmware info and other stuff) that shows up on the Chrome boot screen, before it moves on to start openELEC, is there a way to hide those commands and make the boot process a little cleaner?
I am a total noob at this so I appreciate the entire community for their help and information....it has made buying this product so much of a win for me....and we can all enjoy it in my house.
I just have to now get regular Hulu to show up on XMBC.
Tongue
(This post was last modified: 2014-05-13 21:06 by JamesCruze.)
find quote
jsp1 Offline
(2014-05-13 21:05)JamesCruze Wrote:  I just have to now get regular Hulu to show up on XMBC.
Tongue

I think you are going to need a third party app like playon or plex running on a server for that to work. Unless of course the Chromium addon will support Hulu, I haven't tried that yet.
find quote
asleulv Offline
(2014-05-12 16:36)Matt Devo Wrote:  several people have reported this, seems more like an OE issue than something specific to the ChromeBox

I think the freezing issue is gone now, after I changed the rendering method from hardware to software.
find quote
Matt Devo Offline
Posting Freak
(2014-05-14 09:15)asleulv Wrote:  I think the freezing issue is gone now, after I changed the rendering method from hardware to software.

update to OE 4.0.1 and see if you still have freezing issues with hardware video decoding

find quote
McButton Offline
Fan
I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I just updated to 4.0.1
So far....so good. I'd rather not do software render. I heard that burns up the system resources faster. Test test test.
find quote
ridflea Offline
How's 4.0.1 working for everyone? I want to get a Chromebox, but I don't want freezing issues.
find quote
McButton Offline
Fan
Had 1 freeze today. 4.0 and 4.0.1. Not sure what causes it. I played a bunch of videos ok. I paused it. Went back, and couldn't unpause. It's usually just when navigating menus. Even if I accidentally go to a menu when a movie is playing, if I push more than a few buttons, it's toast. At least it resets in about 5 seconds when I power it off. My Ouya kinda did this only 100 times worse and with every video, and it took like 3 minutes to power back up.

---------------------

Just had another. Nothing plugged in. I only was navigating. I clicked a menu. The info still scrolled, but my remote nor keyboard would respond. Upsetting.
-----------------This part might have froze because I was checking a file sorted while there was no drive attached for it to check out. I'll forgive this one.
However, I just reset with nothing. I am simply just checking through the menus (nothing attached) and the whole thing is frozen again. Completely frozen. I haven't done anything. I thought I had all this worked out.......
(This post was last modified: 2014-05-16 00:58 by McButton.)
find quote
JeffTy Offline
Hey tried the script and it works great. Question though I'm having issues getting audio to play. Any ideas with what is up?

If it helps I get sound through the headphone jack
(This post was last modified: 2014-05-16 04:37 by JeffTy.)
find quote
loki131 Offline
Hi Matt,

I picked up a ChromeBox today and followed your instructions and I now have a just awesome little media box! The only thing that seemed weird was when I was creating the bootable USB drive for ChromeOS, it looked like it was copying and after a while the box just rebooted, I wasn't sure if it worked so I did it again with the same result. Everything else installed quickly and easily (I'm a linux noob!), my MCE remote worked immediately, and I have been playing with it for hours without a single freeze. I have tried to boot from my USB key without success, I'm pretty sure my backup of ChromeOS wasn't successful. So given that I am not dual booting is there any reason that I need ChromeOS?

Thanks for all your hard work!
find quote
jsp1 Offline
(2014-05-16 00:20)McButton Wrote:  Had 1 freeze today. 4.0 and 4.0.1. Not sure what causes it. I played a bunch of videos ok. I paused it. Went back, and couldn't unpause. It's usually just when navigating menus. Even if I accidentally go to a menu when a movie is playing, if I push more than a few buttons, it's toast. At least it resets in about 5 seconds when I power it off. My Ouya kinda did this only 100 times worse and with every video, and it took like 3 minutes to power back up.

---------------------

Just had another. Nothing plugged in. I only was navigating. I clicked a menu. The info still scrolled, but my remote nor keyboard would respond. Upsetting.
-----------------This part might have froze because I was checking a file sorted while there was no drive attached for it to check out. I'll forgive this one.
However, I just reset with nothing. I am simply just checking through the menus (nothing attached) and the whole thing is frozen again. Completely frozen. I haven't done anything. I thought I had all this worked out.......

This has not been my experience at all. Seems like something else is going on with your setup.
find quote
asleulv Offline
(2014-05-16 04:20)loki131 Wrote:  Hi Matt,

I picked up a ChromeBox today and followed your instructions and I now have a just awesome little media box! The only thing that seemed weird was when I was creating the bootable USB drive for ChromeOS, it looked like it was copying and after a while the box just rebooted, I wasn't sure if it worked so I did it again with the same result. Everything else installed quickly and easily (I'm a linux noob!), my MCE remote worked immediately, and I have been playing with it for hours without a single freeze. I have tried to boot from my USB key without success, I'm pretty sure my backup of ChromeOS wasn't successful. So given that I am not dual booting is there any reason that I need ChromeOS?

Thanks for all your hard work!

If you didn't get your ChromeOS boot USB/SD, you can easilly create one that will match your Chromebox model here: https://support.google.com/chromebook/an...0595?hl=en

So you just relax and enjoy your new media box Smile
find quote
Matt Devo Offline
Posting Freak
(2014-05-16 10:14)asleulv Wrote:  If you didn't get your ChromeOS boot USB/SD, you can easilly create one that will match your Chromebox model here: https://support.google.com/chromebook/an...0595?hl=en

So you just relax and enjoy your new media box Smile

no, this is not the same. that link is for the creation of recovery media, which will wipe/reload the internal HDD. The script function makes a bootable copy of ChromeOS on USB which doesn't touch the internal HDD - completely different!

find quote
ridflea Offline
So I tried to run the script on my chromebox, but I get stuck on booting from "hard disk..." I tried to install openelec again (tried the dual boot and normal installation) and I still get stuck here. Any ideas?
find quote
ridflea Offline
(2014-05-16 19:51)ridflea Wrote:  So I tried to run the script on my chromebox, but I get stuck on booting from "hard disk..." I tried to install openelec again (tried the dual boot and normal installation) and I still get stuck here. Any ideas?

Nevermind, I got it working. I couldnt use the script though. I had to manually download openelec and install it on a usb flashdrive.
find quote