• 46(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
edit: scratch that. just finished the thread and tried the joe sample and had the same issue. guess i'd just been lucky up to this point.
(2014-07-15, 20:22)furii Wrote: ah that explains why i hadn't gotten any lockups, i had sw filter enabled already.

You may still get some, as the sample video I posted illustrates
I did a standalone openelec setup using script v2.12.
Do I need to restore to stock firmware in order to install updated coreboot fireware?

Thanks!
(2014-07-15, 21:08)kitchenerer Wrote: I did a standalone openelec setup using script v2.12.
Do I need to restore to stock firmware in order to install updated coreboot fireware?

Thanks!

no, just create a bootable ChromiumOS USB stick (as per the OP or the wiki) and re-download/run the script from there.

though, as the release notes show, the only change to the coreboot firmware was added support for virtualization

edit: updated the wiki with a section on updating the firmware. Let me know if it needs any refinement Smile
(2014-07-15, 15:24)Walrus Wrote:
(2014-07-15, 04:16)Matt Devo Wrote: there are other options to debug your remote issues before replacing the hardware. what IR receiver are you using? google show any other linux users with the same issue?

Dongle from Rosewill RRC-126 remote. Google shows some issues. I'll try some of the troubleshooting options, like changing the responsiveness in Harmony software. Hmm.. I need to shove the batteries in the actual Rosewill remote and see if it powers on reliably. If it does, it's a Harmony issue then.

This is the remote: http://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/...6880101002

As a follow up, the Rosewill remote it comes with behaves the same. I have to hit the power on button on the remote numerous times to get it to turn on. Once on, all buttons work, and pressing power once turns it off (suspend) every time. Must be a dongle issue.
(2014-07-16, 00:02)Walrus Wrote: As a follow up, the Rosewill remote it comes with behaves the same. I have to hit the power on button on the remote numerous times to get it to turn on. Once on, all buttons work, and pressing power once turns it off (suspend) every time. Must be a dongle issue.

in that case, a different receiver may work better for you. Here's one of the HP ones I've used/tested (no affiliation): http://www.ebay.com/itm/191049086497
Thanks for the how to.
(2014-07-15, 19:52)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-15, 05:29)jsp1 Wrote: While I'm at it, why no threads discussing video lockup? I know about this: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=78960
but it is really lacking in any info and quite discouraging to be honest. I know it will take someone some (presumably) hard work to fix and I'm not trying to rush anyone...it just seems like it would be nice to post an update on possible progress every once in a while. Is the issue linux wide for haswell or chromebox specific? Anyone know?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=199498

Thank you Matt. Of course I understand the delays on the (free) hard work people put in, just wanted to be in the loop a little.

The thread is exactly what I was hoping for. Good info on the problem, and possible solutions.
Hello new user here, with a couple of quick questions(sorry if already answered in the previous 45 pages lol), does the chromebox with xbmc installed allow you to change between different resolutions? I have a firetv with xbmc installed and the only resolution it allows me to select is 1080p. I have a 720p samsung plasma in my bedroom with a 1024X768 resolution, if at all possible i would like to run the chromebox at that native res then calibrate with the xbmc display options.

Also, is the chromebox capable of outputting at 24fps/24hz if you select Adjust display refresh rate to match video? this is something the firetv is also incapable of doing.
(2014-07-16, 21:56)Fastrap87 Wrote: Hello new user here, with a couple of quick questions(sorry if already answered in the previous 45 pages lol), does the chromebox with xbmc installed allow you to change between different resolutions? I have a firetv with xbmc installed and the only resolution it allows me to select is 1080p. I have a 720p samsung plasma in my bedroom with a 1024X768 resolution, if at all possible i would like to run the chromebox at that native res then calibrate with the xbmc display options.

Also, is the chromebox capable of outputting at 24fps/24hz if you select Adjust display refresh rate to match video? this is something the firetv is also incapable of doing.

yes/yes. You may need to set a custom modeline to set the correct resolution for your set, but it should auto-detect the set's supported resolutions and select the highest one.
unable to mount external hdd after upgrade to openelec 4.0.7, was working fine in older builds. Downgrading now and see how it goes
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
Quick question Matt, I'm on a dual boot OE w/chrome, If I wanted to go to a standalone setup, can I just run the script as standalone or do I have to do a factory reset first?
(2014-07-17, 02:06)vudiff Wrote: Quick question Matt, I'm on a dual boot OE w/chrome, If I wanted to go to a standalone setup, can I just run the script as standalone or do I have to do a factory reset first?

if you re-run the script and do a standalone setup, everything will work just fine. The only thing you'll be missing is the disc space allocated to ChromeOS, but you can always backup your config (System-->OpenELEC-->General-->Backup), copy the file to another machine, then re-install OpenELEC fresh and restore your data.
(2014-07-17, 02:12)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-17, 02:06)vudiff Wrote: Quick question Matt, I'm on a dual boot OE w/chrome, If I wanted to go to a standalone setup, can I just run the script as standalone or do I have to do a factory reset first?

if you re-run the script and do a standalone setup, everything will work just fine. The only thing you'll be missing is the disc space allocated to ChromeOS, but you can always backup your config (System-->OpenELEC-->General-->Backup), copy the file to another machine, then re-install OpenELEC fresh and restore your data.

Thanks Matt! I really appreciate your quick responses to peoples' questions
Hi,

First I would like give a big thanks to Matt for this script and the wiki. I have been following this thread for a long time and recently purchased a Chromebox for use with OpenElec/XBMC. The instructions on the wiki were straightforward and in a short time I had XBMC up and running. The Chromebox is working great. Thank you!

I have only one issue. My Chomebox is setup to go into S3 sleep after 15 minutes of idle. If I turn off the TV it is connected to before the Chromebox sleeps, then I will have no audio when I resume. I had the same issue with an Intel Celeron 847 board I was using before this, and to fix it I had to add a script mentioned here:
http://openelec.tv/forum/68-audio/55789-...d?start=53

This was with OpenElec 3.x, but I guess this problem persists in 4.x as well? I will try this and see if it fixes the audio.

In case it matters my configuration is:
ASUS Chromebox connected via HDMI to LG 47LM6700
100Mbps Ethernet to files on separate NAS
Microsoft MCE
  • 46(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37