• 48(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
updated the wiki with some info on properly setting the color range, as well as a potential fix for those people having audio issues upon wake from suspend.
(2014-07-21, 01:52)Matt Devo Wrote: updated the wiki with some info on properly setting the color range, as well as a potential fix for those people having audio issues upon wake from suspend.

Still no problems with audio since fix here. Thank you!
That worked. Downloaded ChromiumOS, and fixed this. Though, I have a different issue. I installed OpenELEC (via your script), but when it reboots, it hangs on the same booting from hard disk screen. Trying to completely factory restore, and starting from the beginning, now...

(2014-07-18, 23:34)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-18, 23:32)igjunk Wrote: I did did factory reset before. Nothing works to get me to ChromeOS or recovery. Is there any other way to force recovery?

depressing the recovery button on power-on using a paper clip

(2014-07-18, 23:44)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-18, 23:38)igjunk Wrote: Actually, come to think of it, I did. Am I completely screwed, now?

no, it just means you need to install OpenELEC from a USB stick, like everyone else running a standalone setup Smile

you can either download OpenELEC from their website, or if you want the ability to wake from suspend using a keyboard/mouse/IR remote, download my custom build from the link on the wiki. Follow the instructions for a standalone setup from the OP.
(2014-07-21, 16:56)igjunk Wrote: That worked. Downloaded ChromiumOS, and fixed this. Though, I have a different issue. I installed OpenELEC (via your script), but when it reboots, it hangs on the same booting from hard disk screen. Trying to completely factory restore, and starting from the beginning, now...

I'm not clear on what you did exactly. Did you flash the stock firmware back on, in order to get back to a dual boot setup?
Yes, that's exactly what I did. Also, when I factory reset, and re-installed OpenELEC w/ 10GB partition, everything started working like a charm.

Thanks!
(2014-07-21, 18:05)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-21, 16:56)igjunk Wrote: That worked. Downloaded ChromiumOS, and fixed this. Though, I have a different issue. I installed OpenELEC (via your script), but when it reboots, it hangs on the same booting from hard disk screen. Trying to completely factory restore, and starting from the beginning, now...

I'm not clear on what you did exactly. Did you flash the stock firmware back on, in order to get back to a dual boot setup?

It looks like OpenELEC 4.2 Beta 1 is out. Do you know if it contains the fix for the USB3 wake-up issue?
(2014-07-21, 18:20)igjunk Wrote: Yes, that's exactly what I did. Also, when I factory reset, and re-installed OpenELEC w/ 10GB partition, everything started working like a charm.

Thanks!

glad you got it sorted

Quote:It looks like OpenELEC 4.2 Beta 1 is out. Do you know if it contains the fix for the USB3 wake-up issue?

it should be in 4.2 beta 2. I can post a build of 4.2 beta 1 with the fix if people want, but there's nothing else new which affects the ChromeBox really.
I had chrome os + ubuntu dual boot working on my chromebox. i wanted to switch to openelec. i also read that you have to basically repeat the whole process of installation. what i did not read: to restore the factory firmware; before running the chrome os recovery from the recovery screen. i'm stuck with a system that is not booting (stopping at "booting the kernel.")

although there is a message "Press ESC for boot menu." i cannot enter the boot menu (with ESC).
so now my question: how can i enter the boot menu? is there a possibility to enter the boot menu from the recovery screen? do i need a eeprom programmer because i bricked my chromebox (because i did not RTFM)?

Any help is greatly appreciated
(2014-07-21, 18:58)iuvi Wrote: I had chrome os + ubuntu dual boot working on my chromebox. i wanted to switch to openelec. i also read that you have to basically repeat the whole process of installation. what i did not read: to restore the factory firmware; before running the chrome os recovery from the recovery screen. i'm stuck with a system that is not booting (stopping at "booting the kernel.")

although there is a message "Press ESC for boot menu." i cannot enter the boot menu (with ESC).
so now my question: how can i enter the boot menu? is there a possibility to enter the boot menu from the recovery screen? do i need a eeprom programmer because i bricked my chromebox (because i did not RTFM)?

Assuming you are trying to switch over to a dual boot OpenELEC setup, just power off the box, then do a factory reset/recovery as per the wiki. You don't need to restore the factory firmware because you're still using it - you just need to reset ChromeOS so that the partitions on the hard drive are reset to their factory state. Then you can re-run the script and install OpenELEC in a dual boot setup.
(2014-07-21, 19:07)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-21, 18:58)iuvi Wrote: I had chrome os + ubuntu dual boot working on my chromebox. i wanted to switch to openelec. i also read that you have to basically repeat the whole process of installation. what i did not read: to restore the factory firmware; before running the chrome os recovery from the recovery screen. i'm stuck with a system that is not booting (stopping at "booting the kernel.")

Assuming you are trying to switch over to a dual boot OpenELEC setup, just power off the box, then do a factory reset/recovery as per the wiki. You don't need to restore the factory firmware because you're still using it - you just need to reset ChromeOS so that the partitions on the hard drive are reset to their factory state. Then you can re-run the script and install OpenELEC in a dual boot setup.

but my ChromeOS is not booting after the reset/recovery. now i'm unable to boot from the internal ssd or any usb device.
(2014-07-21, 20:16)iuvi Wrote: but my ChromeOS is not booting after the reset/recovery. now i'm unable to boot from the internal ssd or any usb device.

I'm assuming you changed the boot delay/default via the script? Then you just need to boot ChromeOS by pressing [CTRL-D] on the white dev boot screen, before the black SeaBIOS screen. The reason you can't boot anything from SeaBIOS is that the factory reset put the stock SeaBIOS back on, which is broken.
One thing that is annoying me is inability to switch between ChromeOS & OpenELEC with my K400. Matt, would you happen to know if there is a source for the coreboot that ASUS uses to see if we can modify it to recognize the keyboard?

Thanks
(2014-07-21, 20:19)igjunk Wrote: One thing that is annoying me is inability to switch between ChromeOS & OpenELEC with my K400. Matt, would you happen to know if there is a source for the coreboot that ASUS uses to see if we can modify it to recognize the keyboard?

Thanks

Even if there was a change you could make to coreboot to fix the issue (there isn't), you wouldn't be able to boot ChromeOS, since only Google has the crypto signing keys needed to enable ChromeOS's secure boot.
Would it be worthwhile opening up a case with Google to see if they can fix it?

(2014-07-21, 20:23)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-21, 20:19)igjunk Wrote: One thing that is annoying me is inability to switch between ChromeOS & OpenELEC with my K400. Matt, would you happen to know if there is a source for the coreboot that ASUS uses to see if we can modify it to recognize the keyboard?

Thanks

Even if there was a change you could make to coreboot to fix the issue (there isn't), you wouldn't be able to boot ChromeOS, since only Google has the crypto signing keys needed to enable ChromeOS's secure boot.
(2014-07-21, 20:19)Matt Devo Wrote: I'm assuming you changed the boot delay/default via the script? Then you just need to boot ChromeOS by pressing [CTRL-D] on the white dev boot screen, before the black SeaBIOS screen. The reason you can't boot anything from SeaBIOS is that the factory reset put the stock SeaBIOS back on, which is broken.

you're assumptions are correct.
yepiiiii, that worked.
you're great. can i buy you a beer? Smile pn me if you want to take advantage
(2014-07-21, 20:25)igjunk Wrote: Would it be worthwhile opening up a case with Google to see if they can fix it?

no, there's no mechanism in place for the firmware to be updated via OTA updates (and there's that pesky write-protect screw). If there were, we would have seen a fixed SeaBIOS.

Does your K400 work on the SeaBIOS boot screen? If so, then you might want to dual-boot ChromiumOS and OpenELEC, and just use GRUB to select between the two. But that's a bit more complicated. I had a K400 and swapped it for a K360 simply because of this issue.
  • 48(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37