• 49(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
I believe it does. I haven't tried to be honest with you. It's a shame about updates. Sad

Thanks!
(2014-07-21, 20:28)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-21, 20:25)igjunk Wrote: Would it be worthwhile opening up a case with Google to see if they can fix it?

no, there's no mechanism in place for the firmware to be updated via OTA updates (and there's that pesky write-protect screw). If there were, we would have seen a fixed SeaBIOS.

Does your K400 work on the SeaBIOS boot screen? If so, then you might want to dual-boot ChromiumOS and OpenELEC, and just use GRUB to select between the two. But that's a bit more complicated
I followed the instructions thoroughly and the hardest thing for me was the resolution of the chromebox to my TV. I had to really be careful within linux to make sure i type the commands correctly. Other than that, this is a very KILLER setup that I am extremely happy with. I chose to go the Openelec standalone route, and it is super fast, reliable, and responsive. Thank you MATT!!

Here's my setup just to show you how quick reboot is and also show the following:

- stream movie
- stream tv shows
- stream sports

Hope this helps some of you out!
I'm sure someone may have already asked this...but is it possible to dual boot into just ubuntu AND openelec (without ChromeOS at all)?
(2014-07-22, 01:45)vintun Wrote: I'm sure someone may have already asked this...but is it possible to dual boot into just ubuntu AND openelec (without ChromeOS at all)?

of course it is, but the setup to do so is a bit beyond the scope of this script/thread. All you need to do is run the standalone setup option (which installs the coreboot firmware), then you can install OE + Ubuntu just like you would on any other PC. I'd suspect the easiest way to do it would be to setup Ubuntu first, and do a custom partition setup so that you can create the partitions needed by OpenELEC as well. Then setup OpenELEC, and add it to the Grub boot menu. But I suspect there is a how-to somewhere for it.
(2014-07-22, 01:57)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-22, 01:45)vintun Wrote: I'm sure someone may have already asked this...but is it possible to dual boot into just ubuntu AND openelec (without ChromeOS at all)?

of course it is, but the setup to do so is a bit beyond the scope of this script/thread. All you need to do is run the standalone setup option (which installs the coreboot firmware), then you can install OE + Ubuntu just like you would on any other PC. I'd suspect the easiest way to do it would be to setup Ubuntu first, and do a custom partition setup so that you can create the partitions needed by OpenELEC as well. Then setup OpenELEC, and add it to the Grub boot menu. But I suspect there is a how-to somewhere for it.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll look into this a bit more and post any relevant info I find...Currently on the fence of either waiting for Android TV (just using XBMC app) or getting this Chromebox....decisions!
(2014-07-22, 02:03)vintun Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply! I'll look into this a bit more and post any relevant info I find...Currently on the fence of either waiting for Android TV (just using XBMC app) or getting this Chromebox....decisions!

what's the timeframe for AndroidTV? I thought it wasn't until early next year. Even then, with a new platform, there will invariably be bugs to shake out. Currently, XBMC on Android doesn't support HD audio bitstreaming or matching the refresh rate to the source video (ie, no 24p output). Those two things are a huge part of what makes the ChromeBox an attractive option, esp given the price.
Yeah you're right, it's probably going to be a bit before ATV comes out.

I was comparing the specs of the Chromebox M004U to the Chromebook C720 and it seems that they are using almost the same hardware. I have a C720 I gave to my mom after setting it up to dual boot to either Chrubuntu or ChromeOS, and I noticed that booting into Chrubuntu took pretty long.

So my question is, should I expect to see the same performance if I choose a similar route? How much slower is XBMC running on Ubuntu rather than OpenElec? (Main usage of XBMC would be for streaming...and I need Ubuntu for poppytime Wink)

Sorry for all the questions, and thank you for taking the time to respond!
(2014-07-22, 05:01)vintun Wrote: Yeah you're right, it's probably going to be a bit before ATV comes out.

I was comparing the specs of the Chromebox M004U to the Chromebook C720 and it seems that they are using almost the same hardware. I have a C720 I gave to my mom after setting it up to dual boot to either Chrubuntu or ChromeOS, and I noticed that booting into Chrubuntu took pretty long.

So my question is, should I expect to see the same performance if I choose a similar route? How much slower is XBMC running on Ubuntu rather than OpenElec? (Main usage of XBMC would be for streaming...and I need Ubuntu for poppytime Wink)

(Chr)Ubuntu boots in a reasonable amount of time (~10-12s) as long as it's using an up-to-date kernel. The kernel which shipped with 14.04 was missing a lot of optimizations for the Haswell platform.

XBMC performance is basically identical across the various Linux platforms
I have a very interesting problem. I connected an IR receiver, which loaded just fine (judging by dmesg) on OpenELEC. Additionally, I see that it is working because every press on the remote is registered by an led light on the receiver. However, it doesn't work in XBMC, meaning nothing happens.

Any idea what I am doing wrong, here?
(2014-07-22, 15:08)igjunk Wrote: I have a very interesting problem. I connected an IR receiver, which loaded just fine (judging by dmesg) on OpenELEC. Additionally, I see that it is working because every press on the remote is registered by an led light on the receiver. However, it doesn't work in XBMC, meaning nothing happens.

need way more info to be able to give any useful help. Make/model of IR receiver?

reboot OE w/o receiver, plug-in, then run the following commands via ssh:
Code:
dmesg | pastebinit
lsusb -v | pastebinit

and post the URLs generated.
Thank you Matt, for making this great script, it workt really well!
FYI, I was using this script on an HP Chromebox. I couldn't find any tutorial for installing XBMC on an HP Chromebox, so I hoped for the best and followed your tutorial. I now have a dual boot with Chrome OS and Openelec.
So, the script is also perfect for an HP Chromebox and the device prep section is the same as with an Asus Chromebox. Maybe you can put that in the title post, so that other HP Chromebox users can also take advantage of your great work!
(2014-07-23, 00:29)Dacompa Wrote: Thank you Matt, for making this great script, it workt really well!
FYI, I was using this script on an HP Chromebox. I couldn't find any tutorial for installing XBMC on an HP Chromebox, so I hoped for the best and followed your tutorial. I now have a dual boot with Chrome OS and Openelec.
So, the script is also perfect for an HP Chromebox and the device prep section is the same as with an Asus Chromebox. Maybe you can put that in the title post, so that other HP Chromebox users can also take advantage of your great work!

The Asus and HP hardware are nearly identical - I was just waiting for a few more people to test the standalone firmware with the HP box before I labeled it 100% compatible Smile

The dual-boot setup should work for any Haswell-based ChromeOs device, though I've heard reports that the updated SeaBIOS I'm using doesn't play nicely with the built-in keyboards on the ChromeBook models.
(2014-07-22, 09:12)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-22, 05:01)vintun Wrote: Yeah you're right, it's probably going to be a bit before ATV comes out.

(Chr)Ubuntu boots in a reasonable amount of time (~10-12s) as long as it's using an up-to-date kernel. The kernel which shipped with 14.04 was missing a lot of optimizations for the Haswell platform.

XBMC performance is basically identical across the various Linux platforms

Yup, that totally explains it haha. I was running 14.04 without updating the kernel and it took over a minute to boot...Thanks Smile
I am not really sure about the make & model of the IR receiver to be honest with you. The other info:

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/7839756/
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/7839753/

sprunge.us throws back 500 error, so had to use ubuntu.

(2014-07-22, 16:50)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-22, 15:08)igjunk Wrote: I have a very interesting problem. I connected an IR receiver, which loaded just fine (judging by dmesg) on OpenELEC. Additionally, I see that it is working because every press on the remote is registered by an led light on the receiver. However, it doesn't work in XBMC, meaning nothing happens.

need way more info to be able to give any useful help. Make/model of IR receiver?

reboot OE w/o receiver, plug-in, then run the following commands via ssh:
Code:
dmesg | pastebinit
lsusb -v | pastebinit

and post the URLs generated.
(2014-07-23, 05:01)igjunk Wrote: I am not really sure about the make & model of the IR receiver to be honest with you. The other info:

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/7839756/
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/7839753/

sprunge.us throws back 500 error, so had to use ubuntu.

your receiver is reporting an invalid config value, and the MCE USB driver is using a default value which the receiver doesn't seem to like, so it's not being initialized properly. If you look at the next to last line in http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/7839756/, you see:

Code:
mceusb 1-6:1.0: 2 tx ports (0x0 cabled) and 2 rx sensors (0x0 active)

0 active receive sensors = not going to work.

I'll take a look at the driver code and see if I can implement a workaround, but going to be hard/slow without having the hardware here to test. I'll PM you a test build once I have something
  • 49(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37