• 55(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-07-29, 19:11)rmilyard Wrote: Guessing can add IR usb or something? Never used Openelec before so would be learning but pretty easy to get setup and running?

yes, I list several options in the wiki (link in sig). OpenELEC doesn't really have a learning curve, it's a Linux distro designed to boot directly to XBMC. The setup is pretty straightforward using my script in the OP, but requires a little setup (documented in the wiki) before you can do so.
(2014-07-29, 19:14)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-29, 19:11)rmilyard Wrote: Guessing can add IR usb or something? Never used Openelec before so would be learning but pretty easy to get setup and running?

yes, I list several options in the wiki (link in sig). OpenELEC doesn't really have a learning curve, it's a Linux distro designed to boot directly to XBMC. The setup is pretty straightforward using my script in the OP, but requires a little setup (documented in the wiki) before you can do so.

Hmmmm.... Sounds like I should return the FTV and do this. I can get Celeron version with 2gb for $169 at local Fry's. Was thinking later upgrade to 4gb
(2014-07-29, 19:21)rmilyard Wrote: Hmmmm.... Sounds like I should return the FTV and do this. I can get Celeron version with 2gb for $169 at local Fry's. Was thinking later upgrade to 4gb

for a dedicated OpenELEC/XBMC setup, I've found zero benefit to > 2GB of RAM.
Quote:Guessing can add IR usb or something? Never used Openelec before so would be learning but pretty easy to get setup and running?

Matt's scrip makes it a breeze and if its a stand-alone as a FireTV would be the fact that its OpenELEC underneath makes little difference except for some of the more obscure settings that need to be changed in OpenELEC instead of directly as part of XBMC.

As to remotes, my wife does so much better with the wireless Logitech k400 keyboard than she has ever done with any of our too numerous remotes. You can also use your cell phone as a remote, the Official XBMC Remote works great on our old Android 2.2 phone. Just heed the note in Matt's guide that the k400 won't work on the recovery screen you'll need to use to update the firmware, just find, borrow or buy a cheap usb keyboard for a short while.

Quote:for a dedicated OpenELEC/XBMC setup, I've found zero benefit to > 2GB of RAM.
I'd have to concure I got the extra 2GB when I ordered the box figuring since I had to open the box to remove the "write-protect" I might as well max out the RAM in case I someday want to switch to dual boot setup or boot something else (Chromium, Ubuntu, etc.) from a USB stick.
(2014-07-29, 19:34)wally_666 Wrote:
Quote:Guessing can add IR usb or something? Never used Openelec before so would be learning but pretty easy to get setup and running?

Matt's scrip makes it a breeze and if its a stand-alone as a FireTV would be the fact that its OpenELEC underneath makes little difference except for some of the more obscure settings that need to be changed in OpenELEC instead of directly as part of XBMC.

As to remotes, my wife does so much better with the wireless Logitech k400 keyboard than she has ever done with any of our too numerous remotes. You can also use your cell phone as a remote, the Official XBMC Remote works great on our old Android 2.2 phone. Just heed the note in Matt's guide that the k400 won't work on the recovery screen you'll need to use to update the firmware, just find, borrow or buy a cheap usb keyboard for a short while.

No Android phones in the house. Only iPhones. Guessing might be an app for that? For setting up just an USB keyboard an mouse should work? Might run out in like 30 mins to Fry's and get one to play with here at work since SLOW!
Standard USB cabled keyboard and mouse are fine. Occasionally some keyboards are ignored by the BIOS - particularly some wireless models.

I run my Chromebox with a standard RC6 IR receiver dongle plugged into the front. One of these : http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/windows-media-...trol-a49ha (The IR receiver is the small USB dongle at the bottom of the product picture)
(2014-07-29, 19:38)rmilyard Wrote: No Android phones in the house. Only iPhones. Guessing might be an app for that? For setting up just an USB keyboard an mouse should work? Might run out in like 30 mins to Fry's and get one to play with here at work since SLOW!

no mouse needed, just a keyboard.
Well thanks guys! I am going to pick one up at lunch! Might have question etc after get it. Mainly going to be a XBMC device for bedroom right now.
(2014-07-29, 19:43)rmilyard Wrote: Well thanks guys! I am going to pick one up at lunch! Might have question etc after get it. Mainly going to be a XBMC device for bedroom right now.

read the wiki, then the OP of this thread, and you should have a good idea what's needed. If not, let me know how I can improve the instructions
So for standalone setup I should do option 4 then after 6?
Already up and running. However since I am a noob with Openelec etc I don't see how to change skin like on my Windows box. Looks like not showing depots to download stuff.

(2014-07-29, 21:59)rmilyard Wrote: Already up and running. However since I am a noob with Openelec etc I don't see how to change skin like on my Windows box. Looks like not showing depots to download stuff.

Think I got it. Had to force update.
So where do I place my advancedsettings.xml file in Openelec?
(2014-07-29, 22:54)rmilyard Wrote: So where do I place my advancedsettings.xml file in Openelec?

In the userdata folder, which is shared via smb
(2014-07-29, 23:21)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-29, 22:54)rmilyard Wrote: So where do I place my advancedsettings.xml file in Openelec?

In the userdata folder, which is shared via smb

Thanks. At work now so tonight I'll add it.

So I like using Aeon MQ 5 skin on my HTPC. I installed it on Chromebox. However when I go into the programs to update Aeon MQ % extrapack after gets to the end it fails.
updated script with new coreboot and SeaBIOS files:

- fixes video init issue when no display detected (due to AVR passthru or device power-on order) - may also help with no sound on resume from suspend
- filenames updated to reflect suitability for both Asus and HP ChromeBox models

updated wiki with recommended OpenELEC / XBMC settings
  • 55(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37