• 59(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
I tried to do a dual boot ChromeOS + Ubuntu and failed in the last step. Instead of rebooting I used q to quit the menu. I did a hard rest to reboot and got stuck on a screen that was loading the kernel. I can only boot into ChromeOS by holding down the Ctrl+D command at boot up.

I then tried a factory reset and got a black box in the upper right hand corner with the folowing:
gbb.flags is nonzero: 0x00000489
read only firmware id: Google_Panther .4920.24.22
active firmware id: Google_Panther .4920.24.22

I reloaded the factory image and found that there were no changes. Still cannot get a command prompt at the log in screen and have to hold down Ctrl+D to get into ChromeOS. If I let it just boot I get a dark screen with the following info:
SeaBIOS (version -20140305_130215-build120-m2
Press ESC for boot menu menu.
booting from Hard Disk...
early console in decmpress_kernel
KASLR using RDRAND...
Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF ... Performing relocations... done.
booting the kernal.

At this point it just hangs until I do a hard reset.

Is there a way I can get back to the factory defaults to start over?

I would appreciate any help that can be offered.
(2014-07-31, 21:41)rmilyard Wrote: So new one is at SeaBIOS (version rel-1.7.5.10

Booting from Hard Disk...

And just sits here forever...

you're not exactly giving me much info here. "new one" = new ChromeBox, I assume? And you're trying to...install OpenELEC standalone? Dual boot? And you've done what so far?

Help me out here. All I can tell from what you've posted is that you have either updated the legacy BIOS, or installed my custom coreboot firmware.
(2014-07-31, 16:35)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-31, 13:43)oval61251 Wrote: It works after the 30second time out once chromeOS opens, but during the developer screen it doesnt. I remember reading something where Matt said the k400 wont work with openELEC, and I originally planned on running that so I bought the mk520 keyboard/mouse but decided to use Ubuntu instead and have since returned the mk520 in place of the k400.....ugh lol

It's the first issue listed on the wiki. I bought a K400 myself along with the Chromebox, but had to return it because of this.

Hey guys just wanted to let you know I am running standalone OpenElec and the K400 works for me out of the box. Didn't have to configure anything.

Matt,

Thanks so much for your work man. I had this box (standalone OE) running flawlessly in under 20 minutes and not a single hiccup. I have 3 friends just buying the chromebox because of your script.
(2014-07-31, 21:46)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-31, 21:41)rmilyard Wrote: So new one is at SeaBIOS (version rel-1.7.5.10

Booting from Hard Disk...

And just sits here forever...

you're not exactly giving me much info here. "new one" = new ChromeBox, I assume? And you're trying to...install OpenELEC standalone? Dual boot? And you've done what so far?

Help me out here. All I can tell from what you've posted is that you have either updated the legacy BIOS, or installed my custom coreboot firmware.

Think back up and running. I didn't worry about back up. Fry's took unit back due to hardware issue. Got the new one running. Interesting enough though this unit has 4gb ram not 2gb and did even exchange and same SKU number.

Lucky I guess!
(2014-07-31, 21:42)pwiner Wrote: I tried to do a dual boot ChromeOS + Ubuntu and failed in the last step. Instead of rebooting I used q to quit the menu. I did a hard rest to reboot and got stuck on a screen that was loading the kernel. I can only boot into ChromeOS by holding down the Ctrl+D command at boot up.

ok, why did you do a hard reset vs retrying the dual boot setup?

Quote: I then tried a factory reset and got a black box in the upper right hand corner with the folowing:
gbb.flags is nonzero: 0x00000489
read only firmware id: Google_Panther .4920.24.22
active firmware id: Google_Panther .4920.24.22

that's fine, completely normal if you've changed the boot options to short delay + Legacy boot (Ubuntu) default

Quote:I reloaded the factory image and found that there were no changes. Still cannot get a command prompt at the log in screen and have to hold down Ctrl+D to get into ChromeOS. If I let it just boot I get a dark screen with the following info:
SeaBIOS (version -20140305_130215-build120-m2
Press ESC for boot menu menu.
booting from Hard Disk...
early console in decmpress_kernel
KASLR using RDRAND...
Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF ... Performing relocations... done.
booting the kernal.

At this point it just hangs until I do a hard reset.

Is there a way I can get back to the factory defaults to start over?

I would appreciate any help that can be offered.

that's completely normal, it's using the default boot options you set (short boot + legacy default), but has nothing to boot for the legacy boot (OpenELEC or Ubuntu). Boot to ChromeOS, re-run the script for Ubuntu dual boot, and it should be fine. If there's an error, post it here.

(2014-07-31, 21:50)rodddogg Wrote: Hey guys just wanted to let you know I am running standalone OpenElec and the K400 works for me out of the box. Didn't have to configure anything.

yes, it works fine for OpenELEC, just not for the ChromeOS dev mode boot screen.
Have tried to re-run the script but have not been able to get a command prompt at the enter password screen. I can enter the password but the CTRL-ALT-F2 does not respond.

Thanks for your help.
(2014-07-31, 22:19)pwiner Wrote: Have tried to re-run the script but have not been able to get a command prompt at the enter password screen. I can enter the password but the CTRL-ALT-F2 does not respond.

Thanks for your help.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You've tried pressing the keys together repeatedly?
When I press [CTRL-D] to enter developer mode at the recovery screen, there is no response.
(2014-07-31, 22:32)pwiner Wrote: When I press [CTRL-D] to enter developer mode at the recovery screen, there is no response.

so you're not in/able to get into developer mode? but it worked before with the same keyboard?
Matt so is there a way to have Chrome go in sleep mode? I see the screensaver mode but I would like it to goto to sleep over night or maybe even turn off if could turn TV off also via HDMI-CEC command.
(2014-07-31, 23:18)rmilyard Wrote: Matt so is there a way to have Chrome go in sleep mode? I see the screensaver mode but I would like it to goto to sleep over night or maybe even turn off if could turn TV off also via HDMI-CEC command.

it should happen automatically, I think. But I don't really know, I don't use ChromeOS at all.
(2014-07-31, 23:19)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-31, 23:18)rmilyard Wrote: Matt so is there a way to have Chrome go in sleep mode? I see the screensaver mode but I would like it to goto to sleep over night or maybe even turn off if could turn TV off also via HDMI-CEC command.

it should happen automatically, I think. But I don't really know, I don't use ChromeOS at all.

This is running XBMC under the Openelec. I have it here are work and don't seem to ever goto to sleep. I can use the XBMC command to Power off, Counter, Suspend or reboot
(2014-07-31, 23:29)rmilyard Wrote: This is running XBMC under the Openelec. I have it here are work and don't seem to ever goto to sleep. I can use the XBMC command to Power off, Counter, Suspend or reboot

System-->Power Management-->Put display to sleep when idle
Other than size, is there any difference in the Asus or HP Chromeboxes? I can get the HP locally, but would need to order the Asus online.

-Josh
(2014-08-01, 01:45)calypsocowboy Wrote: Other than size, is there any difference in the Asus or HP Chromeboxes? I can get the HP locally, but would need to order the Asus online.

-Josh

the HP models only have one slot for RAM, the Asus has two. That's pretty much it.
  • 59(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37