• 69(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-08-14, 21:57)jtadeia Wrote: I got the USB with the software, I insert the USB when it prompts (in the revovery menu), the screen stays black for about 40 seconds and then returns to my ChromeOS Sad it's not factory restoring Sad

try another USB stick, you're not the only one who has had issues with it being temperamental
I have standalone OpenELEC. To do a fresh re-install of XBMC, wiping out what's there, I assume just create an OpenELEC boot USB stick, power on, and do a custom install? Thanks.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2014-08-14, 22:41)hdmkv Wrote: I have standalone OpenELEC. To do a fresh re-install of XBMC, wiping out what's there, I assume just create an OpenELEC boot USB stick, power on, and do a custom install? Thanks.

correct. OpenELEC also has a feature to delete all user data, which would accomplish the same thing. You could then upgrade manually if needed, which would save the effort of creating the USB stick
Thanks Matt, Its perfect now Smile
Hi all,

I want to start off by saying I am not a developer so a lot of this stuff is a bit advanced for me. Anyway, I ran into a problem installing the OPENELEC + Chrome. I got to running the script the second tome and OPENELEC was being installed onto the new, 9GB partition. It is in the middle of the process at the point that it was downloading a file with a size of 78,084,072. Unfortunately, the transfer just stopped so nothing is happening. I have internet on my laptop so I assume the chromebox is still connected. What should I do here? Is there a command that will start the process over? I assume pressing the power off button now would be a bad move.

Thanks for the help.
Seth
Sorry, file size was 155330560 bytes and progress was stopped at 78084072 bytes. I finally got a time-out message but now it is just retrying and not restarting.
(2014-08-15, 00:06)SethR Wrote: Sorry, file size was 155330560 bytes and progress was stopped at 78084072 bytes. I finally got a time-out message but now it is just retrying and not restarting.

hit [CTRL-C] to break out of the script, then 'sudo reboot' to reboot the box. Then run the script again, it will redo the 2nd stage of the dual boot install.
I finally got around to working through Matt's step by step instructions. I ran option 1 in the script for a dual ChromeOS + Open ELEC dual boot. I have the Asus Chromebox with 4 GB of RAM.

If you follow the instructions it works perfectly.

Thanks for your killer script Matt.

OpenELEC on the Asus Chromebox is sweet...
Can anyone comment on the performance of windows 8.1 on one of these? My first thought is that it would be very slow, but then again the tablets have atoms in them.
The Chromeboxes don't really support Windows. Apparently it is possible to install it to one, but it's not at all trivial to do so.
I tried to find this answer in the thread but can't - I just installed a chromebox with ubuntu last weekend useing openelec. According to a comment one the fixes was wake on usb. My problem is that when the machine is suspended; I can only wake it via hitting the power switch - typing on the keyboard doesn't seem to wake it up or do I have to use a specific key.
(2014-08-15, 17:10)thePCisDead Wrote: I finally got around to working through Matt's step by step instructions. I ran option 1 in the script for a dual ChromeOS + Open ELEC dual boot. I have the Asus Chromebox with 4 GB of RAM.

If you follow the instructions it works perfectly.

Thanks for your killer script Matt.

OpenELEC on the Asus Chromebox is sweet...

Big Grin

(2014-08-15, 18:08)jmandawg Wrote: Can anyone comment on the performance of windows 8.1 on one of these? My first thought is that it would be very slow, but then again the tablets have atoms in them.

it's perfectly usable for media center duties and web browsing, but like anything else it's relative.

(2014-08-15, 19:20)Stereodude Wrote: The Chromeboxes don't really support Windows. Apparently it is possible to install it to one, but it's not at all trivial to do so.

actually, it's just as straightforward as installing any other OS in standalone mode. Run script, update firmware, boot with USB install media, install OS. Many of the required drivers need to be downloaded/installed separately, but that's true for a lot of other systems as well.
(2014-08-15, 19:46)Matt Devo Wrote: actually, it's just as straightforward as installing any other OS in standalone mode. Run script, update firmware, boot with USB install media, install OS. Many of the required drivers need to be downloaded/installed separately, but that's true for a lot of other systems as well.
Oh, I stand corrected. That will teach me to believe what I read in reviews.
(2014-08-15, 20:20)Stereodude Wrote: Oh, I stand corrected. That will teach me to believe what I read in reviews.

not that I recommend it, and pretty sure Intel's drivers still prevent bitstreaming audio on the celeron CPUs, but it's no harder than any other OS to install. Curious where you saw it - got a link?
(2014-08-15, 20:44)Matt Devo Wrote: not that I recommend it, and pretty sure Intel's drivers still prevent bitstreaming audio on the celeron CPUs, but it's no harder than any other OS to install. Curious where you saw it - got a link?
Here is one.

I plan to run OpenELEC on my Chromebox and don't plan to use HDMI for audio so it's not an issue for me, but I thought it was only Baytrail that had the audio bitstreaming issues in Windows, not all Celerons.
  • 69(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37