• 70(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-08-16, 00:28)Stereodude Wrote:
(2014-08-15, 20:44)Matt Devo Wrote: not that I recommend it, and pretty sure Intel's drivers still prevent bitstreaming audio on the celeron CPUs, but it's no harder than any other OS to install. Curious where you saw it - got a link?
Here is one.

that article is from when the ChromeBox was first released and didn't have working Legacy boot, so the only option was to install another Linux distro via Crouton. A lot has changed since then Smile
(2014-08-15, 20:44)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-08-15, 20:20)Stereodude Wrote: Oh, I stand corrected. That will teach me to believe what I read in reviews.

not that I recommend it, and pretty sure Intel's drivers still prevent bitstreaming audio on the celeron CPUs, but it's no harder than any other OS to install. Curious where you saw it - got a link?

Matt - think that limitation is Baytrail only. Celerons based on Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge - and AFAIK Haswell - are fine at bitstreaming HD Audio in Windows as they have Protected Audio Path driver support. Pretty certain that the 2955U Brix is bitstreaming fine with Windows (as were the 1007U and 847 Celerons)?
(2014-08-16, 00:58)noggin Wrote: Matt - think that limitation is Baytrail only. Celerons based on Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge - and AFAIK Haswell - are fine at bitstreaming HD Audio in Windows as they have Protected Audio Path driver support. Pretty certain that the 2955U Brix is bitstreaming fine with Windows (as were the 1007U and 847 Celerons)?

well, I'd be happy to test if someone wants to donate a receiver with HDMI, or buy my current one so I can justify the upgrade Laugh
Well if someone else is willing to try windows 8 then please open a new thread to post feedback. It will be better for interested users to have a dedicated thread for it.
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
I installed ubuntu in a dual boot config with the script. It works great, thank you. The only issue I have is that sound through HDMI isn't working. Sound does work with headphone jack. Sound through HDMI does work in Chrome, so it must be ubuntu issue. Appreciate any pointers.
Hi,

Is there a way to boost the hdmi audio volume in standalone openelec setup ?

I am experiencing a way quieter sound compared to a raspberry pi openelec setup connected on the same TV with hdmi.

Thanks
(2014-08-16, 16:34)malahal Wrote: I installed ubuntu in a dual boot config with the script. It works great, thank you. The only issue I have is that sound through HDMI isn't working. Sound does work with headphone jack. Sound through HDMI does work in Chrome, so it must be ubuntu issue. Appreciate any pointers.
I'm running HDMI sound fine through Ubuntu. PulseAudio only supports stereo - but with a bit of prodding worked fine. As I wanted HD Audio bitstreamed I uninstalled Pulse and reconfigured ALSA.
(2014-08-16, 21:39)noggin Wrote:
(2014-08-16, 16:34)malahal Wrote: I installed ubuntu in a dual boot config with the script. It works great, thank you. The only issue I have is that sound through HDMI isn't working. Sound does work with headphone jack. Sound through HDMI does work in Chrome, so it must be ubuntu issue. Appreciate any pointers.
I'm running HDMI sound fine through Ubuntu. PulseAudio only supports stereo - but with a bit of prodding worked fine. As I wanted HD Audio bitstreamed I uninstalled Pulse and reconfigured ALSA.

I went to sound preferences, there was only HDMI in "sound out" tab. I did something like unselect and then reselect, boom the sound started working. Hopefully it stays like that even after reboot! Thank you for your response!

I have a dual boot set up (chrome + ubuntu). I didn't remove write-protect screw. Can I still boot to "ubuntu" without pressing any keyboard key? I don't care the wait time but I don't want to connect a keyboard to boot ubuntu.

I tried the cgpt settings to give high priority to partition6 with successful=1 flag, but that didn't help. Do I really need to remove the write protect screw and flash coreboot for this box to auto reboot to ubuntu? Appreciate any input.
(2014-08-17, 02:53)malahal Wrote: I have a dual boot set up (chrome + ubuntu). I didn't remove write-protect screw. Can I still boot to "ubuntu" without pressing any keyboard key? I don't care the wait time but I don't want to connect a keyboard to boot ubuntu.

I tried the cgpt settings to give high priority to partition6 with successful=1 flag, but that didn't help. Do I really need to remove the write protect screw and flash coreboot for this box to auto reboot to ubuntu? Appreciate any input.

you can boot to Ubuntu by default by making the legacy boot the default option (vs ChromeOS), but to do this, you need to remove the write protect screw, then use the script to set the default boot to Ubuntu. This doesn't flash coreboot, it just changes a firmware boot flag

using cgpt was a workaround for older Chromebooks that didn't have a legacy boot option, it's not valid for the newer ones that do.
I tried to follow the 6.2 Create a Backup Copy of ChromeOS (on USB/SD) steps in the wiki on my HP ChromeBox, but after creating the USB stick and rebooting when I press CTRL+U it says "WARNING: Booting from external media (USB/SD has not been enabled..." Obviously I have the ChromeBox in developer mode to have gotten this far. Do I need to have the write protect screw removed to make this step work?

Also, why are the bootable backup instructions in the Old / Deprecated Content section? This backup doesn't seem to be done as part of the script as the wiki says. I will admit I'm not 100% sure because I'm working my way through the process and haven't used the script yet, but the descriptions in the first post of this thread don't seem to reference making a bootable "backup" stick.
Does somebody use WOL over Wlan with the Asus Chromebox??
Wont work Sad
(2014-08-17, 14:15)Stereodude Wrote: I tried to follow the 6.2 Create a Backup Copy of ChromeOS (on USB/SD) steps in the wiki on my HP ChromeBox, but after creating the USB stick and rebooting when I press CTRL+U it says "WARNING: Booting from external media (USB/SD has not been enabled..." Obviously I have the ChromeBox in developer mode to have gotten this far. Do I need to have the write protect screw removed to make this step work?

Also, why are the bootable backup instructions in the Old / Deprecated Content section? This backup doesn't seem to be done as part of the script as the wiki says. I will admit I'm not 100% sure because I'm working my way through the process and haven't used the script yet, but the descriptions in the first post of this thread don't seem to reference making a bootable "backup" stick.

That section is no longer relevant (hence the label 'deprecated'), and has just now been deleted. It was only useful when doing a standalone setup with the stock firmware, before I started offering the coreboot firmware. It's not needed for a dual boot setup, and not useful for a standalone/coreboot setup.

The who purpose of the script is to minimize the amount the user needs to interact with the CLI. If you've done everything in section 1 of the wiki, then go ahead and run the script.

(2014-08-17, 15:49)magy77 Wrote: Does somebody use WOL over Wlan with the Asus Chromebox??
Wont work Sad

WOL for WLAN is not a supported feature under OpenELEC (or most Linux distros I assume); there's nothing from a hardware or firmware standpoint that would prevent it.
(2014-08-17, 19:06)Matt Devo Wrote: That section is no longer relevant (hence the label 'deprecated'), and has just now been deleted. It was only useful when doing a standalone setup with the stock firmware, before I started offering the coreboot firmware. It's not needed for a dual boot setup, and not useful for a standalone/coreboot setup.

The who purpose of the script is to minimize the amount the user needs to interact with the CLI. If you've done everything in section 1 of the wiki, then go ahead and run the script.
I wanted to make a bootable ChromeOS stick... Oh well.
(2014-08-17, 19:19)Stereodude Wrote:
(2014-08-17, 19:06)Matt Devo Wrote: That section is no longer relevant (hence the label 'deprecated'), and has just now been deleted. It was only useful when doing a standalone setup with the stock firmware, before I started offering the coreboot firmware. It's not needed for a dual boot setup, and not useful for a standalone/coreboot setup.

I wanted to make a bootable ChromeOS stick... Oh well.

To what end though? Like I said, it would only be useful if you were going to wipe ChromeOS off the hard drive, but stick with the stock firmware, which is pretty much pointless. The updated coreboot firmware isn't ChromeOS compatible, which is why I recommend making a bootable ChromiumOS USB stick instead.

Since you've already made it, and want to use it for whatever reason, all you need to do is enable USB booting for ChromeOS via the CLI:

Code:
sudo crossystem dev_boot_usb=1
Hi,

Is there a way to increase default hdmi audio volume in Openelec setup?

Thanks
  • 70(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37