• 78(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-08-27, 00:40)Matt Devo Wrote: I'm not sure anyone has Windows 8.1 running completely/properly on a ChromeBox. You'll definitely need to load GPU/audio drivers, but you're pretty much on your own after that. Feel free to start a separate thread however Smile

Done.
(2014-08-26, 21:29)jjslegacy Wrote:
(2014-08-26, 21:23)furii Wrote:
(2014-08-26, 19:58)jjslegacy Wrote: Now this all assumes your receiver will be turned on in 25 seconds. I suppose there is some logic I could come up with to have it check but not sure what yet.

if your avr is networked you could do something similar to this: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Mounti...:_Advanced

It is but it's always pingable as the network is always ON so I can turn it on remotely etc. Good thought though!

I still have to full reboot the unit from standby to get audio working on my denon 4311ci. Appreciate the efforts, and look forward to a permanent solution...
A few weeks back I got a 2gb RAM chromebox from best buy and was running ubuntu/chromeOS no problem. I then found I could get a 4gb RAM chromebox for a few bucks more, so I returned the 2gb chromebox. Now that I have installed the script just like before XBMC seems to be lagging pretty bad. It takes awhile for the add ons to start downloading, some of them will actually freeze. When I repartitioned the hard drive I typed in 7gb...is this slowing it down? Ubuntu seems to be running pretty slow too. I am just trying to use XBMC, nothing special. Would OpenELEC be a better option?
(2014-08-27, 05:59)Mark the Red Wrote:
(2014-08-26, 21:29)jjslegacy Wrote:
(2014-08-26, 21:23)furii Wrote: if your avr is networked you could do something similar to this: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Mounti...:_Advanced

It is but it's always pingable as the network is always ON so I can turn it on remotely etc. Good thought though!

I still have to full reboot the unit from standby to get audio working on my denon 4311ci. Appreciate the efforts, and look forward to a permanent solution...

I suppose the permanent solution is to always have your AVR on before the chromebox is turned on - that "should" work - does it not for you?

Have you created the resume file exactly as I have and can confirm it's running properly? I would be pretty surprised if that doesn't work.

Also you can run those commands manually and check the edid files to see if they get recreated properly after your receiver is on. I would verify that works before the script
(2014-08-27, 14:18)oval61251 Wrote: A few weeks back I got a 2gb RAM chromebox from best buy and was running ubuntu/chromeOS no problem. I then found I could get a 4gb RAM chromebox for a few bucks more, so I returned the 2gb chromebox. Now that I have installed the script just like before XBMC seems to be lagging pretty bad. It takes awhile for the add ons to start downloading, some of them will actually freeze. When I repartitioned the hard drive I typed in 7gb...is this slowing it down? Ubuntu seems to be running pretty slow too. I am just trying to use XBMC, nothing special. Would OpenELEC be a better option?

while there is no reason Ubuntu should be running "worse" on the new 4GB CB, if all you are doing is running XBMC (and some add-ons), OpenELEC is undoubtedly the better way to go. Be sure to do a factory reset before re-running the script to install OpenELEC
I tried the script and works perfectly with a standalone ubuntu installation! thank you very much!
There is just one thing or problem that i'm having, maybe you can help me with that.
Sometimes I use a monitor, and some times I don't.

The chormebox only boots the OS (Ubuntu) if a have something plugged to the HDMI port. In others words if I don't plug the monitor, the mini PC doesn't boot.
Once ths system starts I can unplug the monitor and it keeps working.

Is there any way to solve this?

I want to boot the chomebox without a monitor plugged to the HDMI port
(2014-08-27, 16:52)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-08-27, 14:18)oval61251 Wrote: A few weeks back I got a 2gb RAM chromebox from best buy and was running ubuntu/chromeOS no problem. I then found I could get a 4gb RAM chromebox for a few bucks more, so I returned the 2gb chromebox. Now that I have installed the script just like before XBMC seems to be lagging pretty bad. It takes awhile for the add ons to start downloading, some of them will actually freeze. When I repartitioned the hard drive I typed in 7gb...is this slowing it down? Ubuntu seems to be running pretty slow too. I am just trying to use XBMC, nothing special. Would OpenELEC be a better option?

while there is no reason Ubuntu should be running "worse" on the new 4GB CB, if all you are doing is running XBMC (and some add-ons), OpenELEC is undoubtedly the better way to go. Be sure to do a factory reset before re-running the script to install OpenELEC

Alright, thanks!
(2014-08-27, 17:40)francohefe Wrote: I tried the script and works perfectly with a standalone ubuntu installation! thank you very much!
There is just one thing or problem that i'm having, maybe you can help me with that.
Sometimes I use a monitor, and some times I don't.

The chormebox only boots the OS (Ubuntu) if a have something plugged to the HDMI port. In others words if I don't plug the monitor, the mini PC doesn't boot.
Once ths system starts I can unplug the monitor and it keeps working.

Is there any way to solve this?

I want to boot the chomebox without a monitor plugged to the HDMI port

known issue, I haven't had time to look at it
Hi Matt,

Thank you for your great work!!

I can confirm that HP Chromebox is louder than Asus, both running latest coreboot and openelec 4.1.4.

I have just received HP and I am kind of surprised how big difference there is. Is it possible to see fan RPM in Openelec?

@Stereodude
Have you tried different pwm and threshold values in thermal.h?

@matt
Is it correct that your profile is more aggressive than google-panther? I've just compared values, eg. Fan3.
I'm looking to install the standalone coreboot/openelec option. Just want to confirm that this will work fine on the HP version of the chromebox? Just double checking because in the screenshot it states

'WARNING: This firmware is only valid for the Asus Chromebox. Use on any other device will almost certainly brick it.'

Many thanks, can't be to careful!
(2014-08-28, 11:10)fryster Wrote: I'm looking to install the standalone coreboot/openelec option. Just want to confirm that this will work fine on the HP version of the chromebox? Just double checking because in the screenshot it states

'WARNING: This firmware is only valid for the Asus Chromebox. Use on any other device will almost certainly brick it.'

Many thanks, can't be to careful!

Old screenshot. This will work on the HP Chromebox.
(2014-08-28, 08:08)atilaks Wrote: @Stereodude
Not yet. I haven't tried the Chromebox in its final location yet since I've been screwing around with other aspects of this OpenELEC project, like backlight dimming on the 7" 1280x800 LCD I got from Adafruit and some various tag clean up of my library. I figured I would look into tackling the fan profile if I find it obtrusive once I get it setup in my great room with my main stereo. The inability to preview the changes prior to reflashing the BIOS has me a little hesitant. I'm used to working on embedded systems with an on chip debugger where you can test on the fly and it's impossible to brick it.
I was going to use HP in the sleeping room, but due to noise I changed my plans and installed Asus there. HP went to the living room, where we can't hear it Smile
Just to say thankyou for making this process as simple as it is - all done and dusted and all seems good so far!
(2014-08-28, 08:08)atilaks Wrote: Hi Matt,

Thank you for your great work!!

I can confirm that HP Chromebox is louder than Asus, both running latest coreboot and openelec 4.1.4.

I have just received HP and I am kind of surprised how big difference there is. Is it possible to see fan RPM in Openelec?

@Stereodude

@matt
Is it correct that your profile is more aggressive than google-panther? I've just compared values, eg. Fan3.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1777967
  • 78(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37