• 81(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-08-30, 04:04)Matt Devo Wrote: The change log at the bottom of the first post details any coreboot firmware and/or SeaBIOS updates. 7/29 is the latest version, so check against your version string.

SeaBIOS is automatically updated as part of the dual boot setup, so if you installed after 7/29 then no need to update, but you can run the update function of the script and it will check and update if needed

Yeah I downloaded in the middle of August so it look like everything is up to date. Are there any settings that I could adjust?
Delete this Post!
(2014-08-28, 08:08)atilaks Wrote: I can confirm that HP Chromebox is louder than Asus, both running latest coreboot and openelec 4.1.4.

I was wrong after all. I didn't notice that Asus has coreboot 7/9, while HP has 7/29. A quick look on Matt's github revealed that fan policy has been updated. Matt, do you still have coreboot-panther-20140709-md.rom? I cannot download it from your dropbox anymore.
(2014-08-30, 20:04)atilaks Wrote:
(2014-08-28, 08:08)atilaks Wrote: I can confirm that HP Chromebox is louder than Asus, both running latest coreboot and openelec 4.1.4.
I was wrong after all. I didn't notice that Asus has coreboot 7/9, while HP has 7/29. A quick look on Matt's github revealed that fan policy has been updated. Matt, do you still have coreboot-panther-20140709-md.rom? I cannot download it from your dropbox anymore.

the temperature thresholds for the fans speeds have not changed since the original ChromeBox coreboot release, with the exception of the 'critical' temp being adjusted from 100°C to 98°C.

see the full history here: https://github.com/MattDevo/coreboot/com.../thermal.h.
Sorry a little off topic...
Does anyone know how many amps the USB ports put out? I had 2 portable USB drives hooked up to the rear USB ports for a couple weeks and today they started acting strange. They keep mounting read only disconnecting and turning off while running badblocks. They were both fairly new.
You are right Matt, I just got confused by Git. Sorry.
not to thread jack again Matt, but what about running Android on the ChromeBox? have you tried yet?
Does anyone know how to boot tightvncserver on startup? I have read a few threads but nothing that seems to work. And when I do get it I am remoteing from a windows 7 machine and all i get it a grey screen.
Help anyone?
Hi Matt,

I am a bit ashamed to say i did a factory reset with openelec running.

When i startup i get this message, discussed earlier

(SeaBIOS (version -20140706_180417-build120-m2)

Press ESC for boot menu.

Booting from Hard Disk...
early console in decompress_kernel
KASLR using RDRAND...

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... Performing relocations... done.
Booting the kernel.

The problem i have is that keyboards are no longer working (tried 2, wired and wireless), So i can't get into developer mode.

Is there any way to restore the chromebox?

Thanks in advance.
(2014-08-31, 09:23)atilaks Wrote: You are right Matt, I just got confused by Git. Sorry.

no worries at all. It doesn't help that I re-baselined my repo once all the ChromeBox-related patches were accepted into the upstream/mainline repo.

(2014-08-31, 18:37)jebise Wrote: not to thread jack again Matt, but what about running Android on the ChromeBox? have you tried yet?

ran it off a USB stick. works, but no hardware acceleration, so useless for now. Plus, Android with a mouse is pretty far from ideal. Wait until the GoogleTV devices/source code are released.

(2014-08-31, 18:50)jjgalambos Wrote: Does anyone know how to boot tightvncserver on startup? I have read a few threads but nothing that seems to work. And when I do get it I am remoteing from a windows 7 machine and all i get it a grey screen.
Help anyone?

since this isn't related to updating firmware or running the script, or even ChromeBox-specific (I'll wager its a Ubuntu issue) you'd probably be best served either starting a new thread or asking on forums specific to the OS you are using.

(2014-08-31, 19:14)Jimmulus Wrote: Hi Matt,

I am a bit ashamed to say i did a factory reset with openelec running.

When i startup i get this message, discussed earlier

(SeaBIOS (version -20140706_180417-build120-m2)

Press ESC for boot menu.

Booting from Hard Disk...
early console in decompress_kernel
KASLR using RDRAND...

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... Performing relocations... done.
Booting the kernel.

The problem i have is that keyboards are no longer working (tried 2, wired and wireless), So i can't get into developer mode.

Is there any way to restore the chromebox?

Thanks in advance.

your SeaBIOS build string indicates you are running the stock version, which does not allow for any keyboard input due to broken USB support. You need to press [CTRL-D] *before* the black SeaBIOS screen displays in order to run ChromeOS / re-run the script.
Woww, thanks for the quick reply,

The only thing i hadn't tried. Up and running again..

Thanks Matt
thanks Matt, I'm hoping once we have the Android sources the ChromeBox will get some love. Then it really will be the all in one box.
Help,
I tried to run the script on the HP Chromebox and I think it's bricked.

Here is what I ended up with.

Boot screen tells me Chrome OS is missing or damaged please insert a recovery USB stick or SD card.

In the upper left hand side of the screen a black box with the following:

gbb.flags is nonzero: 0x00000489
read-only firmware id: Google_Panther.4920.24.25
active firmware id: Google_Panther.4920.24.25

I insert a revovery USB stick and it goes through the verification and reinstall of the Chrome OS and then tells me to remove the USB stick and the unit will reboot.
After a reboot it's the same screen that tells me Chrome OS is missing or damaged please insert a recovery USB stick or SD card.

I have done this multiple time and it's stuck in that loop.

Can I do anything or is it toast?
(2014-09-01, 03:06)rahjer Wrote: Help,
I tried to run the script on the HP Chromebox and I think it's bricked.

Here is what I ended up with.

Boot screen tells me Chrome OS is missing or damaged please insert a recovery USB stick or SD card.

In the upper left hand side of the screen a black box with the following:

gbb.flags is nonzero: 0x00000489
read-only firmware id: Google_Panther.4920.24.25
active firmware id: Google_Panther.4920.24.25

I insert a revovery USB stick and it goes through the verification and reinstall of the Chrome OS and then tells me to remove the USB stick and the unit will reboot.
After a reboot it's the same screen that tells me Chrome OS is missing or damaged please insert a recovery USB stick or SD card.

I have done this multiple time and it's stuck in that loop.

Can I do anything or is it toast?

first off, if you have video output of any kind, you're not bricked.

So what did you do to get yourself in this situation? From the GBB flags, it seems that you set the boot options to short boot (1s) and OpenELEC/Ubuntu as default - which is fine. But why did you run the recovery USB after doing so? And why did you use the recovery for the Asus ChromeBox when you have an HP? That's probably the root of your problem. Download and use the correct recovery image for your HP (device name: Zako) and you should be able to boot ChromeOS again
Matt, is there any other settings I can adjust or change to solve my HDMI output flickering issue?

Not sure where to go from here, will restoring my chromebox and redoing the OpenELEC process help at all?

Thanks.
  • 81(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37