• 9(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-05-22, 20:09)Netix Wrote: So I was able to get to the script and when I try to backup the firmware on a 2gb usb key, I chose the available drive /dev/sdb and it says :

Wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

Edit : just tried with a 2gb sd card. Same error.

how are they formatted? as long as they are FAT/FAT32 it should work fine
Both are fat32 :/ I just reformated them to make sure and still the same error.
(2014-05-22, 20:31)Netix Wrote: Both are fat32 :/

are there multiple partitions on the drive(s)? have you tried reformatting the USB/SD?
(2014-05-22, 20:44)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-05-22, 20:31)Netix Wrote: Both are fat32 :/

are there multiple partitions on the drive(s)? have you tried reformatting the USB/SD?

Edit : Matt was able to fix the issue Smile Thank again Matt. I think the fix will be put in the script !
(2014-05-22, 20:47)Netix Wrote: Edit : Matt was able to fix the issue Smile Thank again Matt. I think the fix will be put in the script !

fix is in v2.2 of the script
Hi Matt, first of all thanks so much for the awesome work you put in on this device! Quick question, hope you can clarify -

I installed from fresh last night using the latest version of the script with stand alone core boot. I then installed xubuntu. When booting up I thought there was supposed to be 5 seconds before it goes to boot, but instead my install sits for about 30 seconds on a black screen before going to the xbuntu boot screen. Also, I then tried to install a different distro from USB (to see if it was my install causing the delay) and it instantly just goes the the 30 second black screen even if I press escape key (have tried multiple keyboards and multiple flash drives). Sorry if I am obviously doing something wrong, just can't seem to figure out what's going on with it. I can get to the GRUB screen if I press the escape key right away but USB boot isn't found there.

Sorry again if this is just a simple rookie user error mistake.
(2014-05-23, 13:08)adriftt Wrote: Hi Matt, first of all thanks so much for the awesome work you put in on this device! Quick question, hope you can clarify -

I installed from fresh last night using the latest version of the script with stand alone core boot. I then installed xubuntu. When booting up I thought there was supposed to be 5 seconds before it goes to boot, but instead my install sits for about 30 seconds on a black screen before going to the xbuntu boot screen. Also, I then tried to install a different distro from USB (to see if it was my install causing the delay) and it instantly just goes the the 30 second black screen even if I press escape key (have tried multiple keyboards and multiple flash drives). Sorry if I am obviously doing something wrong, just can't seem to figure out what's going on with it. I can get to the GRUB screen if I press the escape key right away but USB boot isn't found there.

Sorry again if this is just a simple rookie user error mistake.

what version of xubuntu? more than likely the ~30s of black screen is xubuntu loading, esp if it's after the grub boot menu. If you update your kernel to 3.14+ it should become 5-10s to boot vs 30.

with the Coreboot firmware, you only get the "Press ESC for the boot menu" message (and 5s delay to hit it) if there are multiple bootable devices connected, otherwise it boots directly to the internal HDD. What method are you using to create the USB installer?
Hi Matt,

No idea what has changed from last night (maybe the fact that it's not 4AM) but for some reason I boot it up today and am able to install from an from the same unbuntu install usb I was trying to use last night. After installing Ubuntu I also saw the press ESC to boot from other source. I am running Ubuntu version 14.04 so you're right, I need to update the kernel. Don't know what was going on last night but was most likely user error.

Thanks again for all of your hardwork to get everything running and easy to use!
(2014-05-23, 18:44)adriftt Wrote: Hi Matt,

No idea what has changed from last night (maybe the fact that it's not 4AM) but for some reason I boot it up today and am able to install from an from the same unbuntu install usb I was trying to use last night. After installing Ubuntu I also saw the press ESC to boot from other source. I am running Ubuntu version 14.04 so you're right, I need to update the kernel. Don't know what was going on last night but was most likely user error.

Thanks again for all of your hardwork to get everything running and easy to use!

I've noticed that with some USB sticks (in my case, the USB3 ones I have ), that sometimes they don't show up until after you boot to the internal HDD and reboot. Not sure if it's a Coreboot issue or SeaBIOS issue, but it's on my list of things to try and fix.

But yeah, update to kernel 3.14.1 (Ubuntu 14.04 ships with 3.13.x IIRC) using step 1 from this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t...st13007838. You'll get much better overall performance.
Hello Matt,

I want to thank you for working on and providing your script!

Following your instructions, It was a breeze to implement the coreboot firmware and install openelec on my chromebox. So far, XBMC is working perfectly!

The only section of the script I was a little confused was when I tried to use my USB 2.0 flash drive to backup the chrome os; it seems it was not saved on the flash drive for some reason. But, from reading this thread, it seems this step is not necessary anymore because I can download the ChromiumOS image and use that if I need to boot from USB.

Thanks again for sharing. Your knowledge definitely helped this poor soul Smile
(2014-05-23, 21:33)coco8 Wrote: Hello Matt,

I want to thank you for working on and providing your script!

Following your instructions, It was a breeze to implement the coreboot firmware and install openelec on my chromebox. So far, XBMC is working perfectly!

The only section of the script I was a little confused was when I tried to use my USB 2.0 flash drive to backup the chrome os; it seems it was not saved on the flash drive for some reason. But, from reading this thread, it seems this step is not necessary anymore because I can download the ChromiumOS image and use that if I need to boot from USB.

Thanks again for sharing. Your knowledge definitely helped this poor soul Smile

You're welcome Smile

The new script (v2.x) forgoes the ChromeOS backup, just backs up your stock firmware on USB, because the only way you're getting back to ChromeOS is by reflashing the stock firmware and using the Google recovery image
Hi Matt,

Firstly apologies, I've tried everything I think of to sort the issue but I just haven't had any joy.

I followed the instruction in the original post, I made sure I followed the Device Prep section, downloaded & ran the script no problem.

I was then able to install the Coreboot firmware, I didn't backup a copy as I had already done so using the ChromeOS Recovery Tool.

I didn't create an OpenElec installer through the tool instead i created an 'installstick' using the software included in the download from the OpenElec website.

The issue I have now is that n that installer i get a black screen & then 'No Signal' displayed on my screen, even though the box is still on.

If I try to recover my firmware using my recovery stick it just hangs on a black screen with a load of text...sometimes it stops at the line;

"[3.315732] drm_kms_helper: panic occurred, switching to text console"

other times it stops at

"[3.348785] ---[ end trace 0a86c12e100920cd]

I'll be honest & say that I know very little about this (hence the reason for using the script) and I'm worried i've bricked my Chromebox after half an hour of having it Sad

Any help would be much appreciated

[EDIT] - Still not sure what is causing the Recovery to fall over but I did manage to figure out that when i lost signal during the OpenElec installation, I just had to change from DisplayPort to HDMI...go figure

All is well & I am now running OpenElec, not sure if I'll run into the same issue should I ever want to put ChromeOS back on however...
All went well for me until I tried to install OpenElec from USB. It never finds the usb to boot. So it just sits at the "Booting to HDD" Screen.

Not really sure what happened. I've even tried a different USB Installer for OpenElec and it is like the Chromebox just doesn't see my usb stick.

[EDIT] .. Guess it didn't like that USB stick... Tried two others and they both worked perfect. OpenELEC runs amazing compared to my RPi :\ haha

Thanks for the awesome write-up and script!
(2014-05-24, 17:44)NxtGenCowboy Wrote: All went well for me until I tried to install OpenElec from USB. It never finds the usb to boot. So it just sits at the "Booting to HDD" Screen.

Not really sure what happened. I've even tried a different USB Installer for OpenElec and it is like the Chromebox just doesn't see my usb stick.

Some usb sticks aren't recognized by the new coreboot firmware (one of my usb2 sticks dosen't work, but the rest and my usb3 stick does). You can try a different usb stick or if you have an android phone or tablet (and are rooted), you can use Drivedroid, create an image file, write the installer to it, and then boot up (works great with my OG Nexus 7 and my retired GNexus).
Thanks! Thats exactly what I did.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37