• 60(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
One thing to keep an eye on is the amount of RAM. The HP being sold in the UK by John Lewis is listed as 4GB. The standard "basic" Asus sold in the US is 2GB.
New issue I found... While at work I installed the HP Chromebox EZ setup per Matt's instructions, and everything thing works great. However, when I took it home last night to play with I could not connect to the internet when logged into Ubuntu (wired and wireless), but could with ChromeOS. Something I also noticed once I got it home is that once the Ubuntu desktop loads I get a message saying "system problem problem detected". Now that I am back at work it connects to the internet fine, just not at home, but I am still getting that error message, "system problem problem detected". It says connected but I cant get on the web or run any web based applications or XMBC add-ons.
(2014-08-01, 13:17)oval61251 Wrote: New issue I found... While at work I installed the HP Chromebox EZ setup per Matt's instructions, and everything thing works great. However, when I took it home last night to play with I could not connect to the internet when logged into Ubuntu (wired and wireless), but could with ChromeOS. Something I also noticed once I got it home is that once the Ubuntu desktop loads I get a message saying "system problem problem detected". Now that I am back at work it connects to the internet fine, just not at home, but I am still getting that error message, "system problem problem detected". It says connected but I cant get on the web or run any web based applications or XMBC add-ons.

unfortunately this is another problem that isn't really related to the ChromeBox or to the setup script, and probably best addressed elsewhere (eg, ubuntuforums.com). But I would try googling for ubuntu network connectivity troubleshooting first.
(2014-08-01, 18:21)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-08-01, 13:17)oval61251 Wrote: New issue I found... While at work I installed the HP Chromebox EZ setup per Matt's instructions, and everything thing works great. However, when I took it home last night to play with I could not connect to the internet when logged into Ubuntu (wired and wireless), but could with ChromeOS. Something I also noticed once I got it home is that once the Ubuntu desktop loads I get a message saying "system problem problem detected". Now that I am back at work it connects to the internet fine, just not at home, but I am still getting that error message, "system problem problem detected". It says connected but I cant get on the web or run any web based applications or XMBC add-ons.

unfortunately this is another problem that isn't really related to the ChromeBox or to the setup script, and probably best addressed elsewhere (eg, ubuntuforums.com). But I would try googling for ubuntu network connectivity troubleshooting first.
ugh, I tried that. I was hoping you would have a fix. I made a similar post on the ubuntu forms. Thank you
(2014-08-01, 18:39)oval61251 Wrote: ugh, I tried that. I was hoping you would have a fix. I made a similar post on the ubuntu forms. Thank you

well, you really haven't given much info to help diagnose the issue. Throw the outputs of ifconfig and dmesg up on pastebin and I'll take a look
Hi Matt. I want to thank you for all the great work you've done on the Chromebox. I picked one up last aweek nd got it up and running stand alone Openelec with no real problems. It's a huge improvement over my Raspberry Pi and my Android box. I think I finally have something I can recommend to friends. I can't seem to wake from suspend with Yatse or with my Mele remote but I've ordered a FLIRC and I think that should do the trick. The Mele has one button that sends an IR signal. It wakes fine using my K-400 key board. Do you know of any setup that will allow me to run XBMC and Netflix? I was hoping to dual boot Openelec and Chrome but Netflix doesn't seem to play nice with the Chromium version that's compatible with you improved firmware.Thanks again I will definitely be sending a donation.
I dont want to clog up your thread with clutter, but if you could PM me how to past up the codes I'll get them to you when I can. Thank you!

(2014-08-01, 18:41)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-08-01, 18:39)oval61251 Wrote: ugh, I tried that. I was hoping you would have a fix. I made a similar post on the ubuntu forms. Thank you

well, you really haven't given much info to help diagnose the issue. Throw the outputs of ifconfig and dmesg up on pastebin and I'll take a look

double post
(2014-08-01, 19:21)BradD Wrote: Hi Matt. I want to thank you for all the great work you've done on the Chromebox. I picked one up last aweek nd got it up and running stand alone Openelec with no real problems. It's a huge improvement over my Raspberry Pi and my Android box. I think I finally have something I can recommend to friends. I can't seem to wake from suspend with Yatse or with my Mele remote but I've ordered a FLIRC and I think that should do the trick. The Mele has one button that sends an IR signal. It wakes fine using my K-400 key board. Do you know of any setup that will allow me to run XBMC and Netflix? I was hoping to dual boot Openelec and Chrome but Netflix doesn't seem to play nice with the Chromium version that's compatible with you improved firmware.Thanks again I will definitely be sending a donation.

WOL (w/Yatse or otherwise) for WLAN isn't something that's supported OpenELEC, or most linux/wifi drivers to my knowledge. WOL for LAN works fine.

Wakeup from suspend works for all USB devices that support it. Most IR receivers that do support it, support it only for a specific IR code (powertoggle). Flirc will work, but by default will wake on any IR signal, so you need to set it up otherwise (as per the note in the wiki).

I haven't done any testing with ChromiumOS + Netflix; there is a way to "upgrade" ChromiumOS to ChromeOS, but not sure if that will work with the coreboot firmware
is the setup chrome os + Openelec working well? if so and want to have it what would be the steps if i have coreboot installed?
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2014-08-02, 04:59)Veronica Wrote: is the setup chrome os + Openelec working well? if so and want to have it do i have a do a factory reset and install stock firmware if i have coreboot installed?

it's working well enough for some users I suspect. Off the top of my head, the following "issues" exist:

- resume from suspend in OpenELEC is broken, results in a reboot
- high CPU usage in OE w/single RAM module (still an issue?)
- no way to reboot from one OS to the other automatically, must manually select via keyboard on dev boot screen

If you have a standalone setup now (with the coreboot firmware) and want to switch to a dual boot setup, you need to re-flash the stock firmware, perform a factory reset (to reinstall ChromeOS), then run the dual-boot setup option of the script.
(2014-08-02, 05:07)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-08-02, 04:59)Veronica Wrote: is the setup chrome os + Openelec working well? if so and want to have it do i have a do a factory reset and install stock firmware if i have coreboot installed?

it's working well enough for some users I suspect. Off the top of my head, the following "issues" exist:

- resume from suspend in OpenELEC is broken, results in a reboot
- high CPU usage in OE w/single RAM module (still an issue?)
- no way to reboot from one OS to the other automatically, must manually select via keyboard on dev boot screen

If you have a standalone setup now (with the coreboot firmware) and want to switch to a dual boot setup, you need to re-flash the stock firmware, perform a factory reset (to reinstall ChromeOS), then run the dual-boot setup option of the script.

Thank Matt any news as if the resume from suspend in OpenElec can be fixed and will be fixed or not? Also what was your experience with Windows 8, whats not working there?
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2014-08-02, 05:50)Veronica Wrote: Thank Matt any news as if the resume from suspend in OpenElec can be fixed and will be fixed or not? Also what was your experience with Windows 8, whats not working there?

Resume from suspend with the stock firmware (outside of ChromeOS) should be considered non-functional, as per the wiki.

Windows 8 worked fine from my (very) limited testing, though you cannot output bitstream/multi-channel audio with the celeron model due to restrictions in Intel's drivers (this is not a ChromeBox specific issue, celeron-based NUCs have the same issue).

OpenELEC in standalone mode with the coreboot firmware is my personal/preferred setup; anything else I'll try to assist with as time permits, but I'm not going to spend time trying to work around limitations with the stock firmware that are addressed by running the coreboot firmware. I know that's not going to fit everyone's use case, but there's only so much I can do.
(2014-08-02, 05:58)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-08-02, 05:50)Veronica Wrote: Thank Matt any news as if the resume from suspend in OpenElec can be fixed and will be fixed or not? Also what was your experience with Windows 8, whats not working there?

Resume from suspend with the stock firmware (outside of ChromeOS) should be considered non-functional, as per the wiki.

Windows 8 worked fine from my (very) limited testing, though you cannot output bitstream/multi-channel audio with the celeron model due to restrictions in Intel's drivers (this is not a ChromeBox specific issue, celeron-based NUCs have the same issue).

OpenELEC in standalone mode with the coreboot firmware is my personal/preferred setup; anything else I'll try to assist with as time permits, but I'm not going to spend time trying to work around limitations with the stock firmware that are addressed by running the coreboot firmware. I know that's not going to fit everyone's use case, but there's only so much I can do.

I am running coreboot with SteamOS. It works fine however it does studder at times in the big picture mode menus. The recommendation to fix is to assign more video memory. I do have extra memory installed with steamos reporting 7.8GB of system memory. Is there anyway to change how much memory is assigned to the intel gpu? I know how to do this in a normal bios, however I have no idea how to do this with coreboot.

Thanks!
(2014-07-21, 01:52)Matt Devo Wrote: updated the wiki with some info on properly setting the color range, as well as a potential fix for those people having audio issues upon wake from suspend.

Deleted Post. Unqualified rubbish. Move along people.
to find the correct display output, one should run 'xrandr --props' from a ssh terminal. It shouldn't vary between systems though, since (I believe) it's referencing the port on the ChromeBox, not on the connected display. Can you run that command and confirm you are connected to HDMI0?
  • 60(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37